HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is probably what actually happened.
We have to understand that Hughes also knew we were undersized and outmatched up front for the most part.
Moving Anderson would have been a two part problem.
He's got a chance to redeem himself some providing Marty plays a more traditional game with his bottom 6 which he should do.
If Anderson can be a physical thorn in the side of the opponents Dmen on a third line it may open up some interest for a hockey trade next off season.
He's gone by the end of next season anyways.
I can see Anderson having a comeback type of season, but the offensive output will not be great because he is no longer looked at like a top 6 player. They needed it from him before, they don't anylonger.
I do think a few goals, and a different style of a role from him would be a good thing. They need some phsical play from guys, and he is one of them. He then settles into that role, and enhances his value.............trade or keep both of which could be an option.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Until Reinbacher is ready we need to keep Savard, you can't pair Hutson with Barron or Mailloux and expect it to work out right away

Agreed. And it's very possible Reinbacher ends up with Guhle down the road. If Savard is gone, then what? Only guy I can see fitting Hutson well is Xhekaj who would have to move to RD side. I believe he has played some RD.

It will be interesting to see how we do this year and how we manage Savard. Do we keep him for whatever run we are on or do we trade him.

Reactions: Gustave

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Agreed. And it's very possible Reinbacher ends up with Guhle down the road. If Savard is gone, then what? Only guy I can see fitting Hutson well is Xhekaj who would have to move to RD side. I believe he has played some RD.

It will be interesting to see how we do this year and how we manage Savard. Do we keep him for whatever run we are on or do we trade him.
I think the clear answer is we need to trade for a RHD that is actually good at defense, even if it means taking a hit somewhere else

Reactions: Gustave

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wondering what Zegras does this season. Does he regain his past value or fade like he did last season.

I'm glad we picked up Laine vs Zegras to be hones. Would love to add Zegras's skill but we all know he's not likely a playoff producer when the going gets rough.

I think the best spot for Zegras is on McTavish's wing.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Maybe but that is something we can decide later.
I agree, we are not in a position to rush decisions. They will let Barron, Mailloux, Hutson gain experience and develop their defensive play. If they can become more all-round players and not only pure offensive D, our defense would be rock solid. In long term, I see these pairings:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble / Engstrom as 7th D

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
But you do see Savard staying?
Not so sure..................I know a case can be made he stays, but it would seem unlikely.
Our team is about to change significantly and the kids are taking over....
It depends on the offer. If a 1st round pick is offered i don't think he'll be there past the TDL no matter what. The last two drafts KH traded a first to acquire Newhook and then move up to get Hage. I think he'll value having three 1st round picks and multiple 2nd round picks next draft to do a trade to improve the team for the 2025-2026 season.

I think people overrate our vets quite a bit. They can play a depth role in a cup wining lineup but wont improve a rebuildign team. If we are in a race for the playoffs it's because kids will have moved those vets aside. Vet precense can always be acquired in the summer. The team will improve by moving those vets aside not by holding onto them. Only vet worth keeping is Matheson. The rest are expendable easily at the TDL if good offers are made.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree, we are not in a position to rush decisions. They will let Barron, Mailloux, Hutson gain experience and develop their defensive play. If they can become more all-round players and not only pure offensive D, our defense would be rock solid. In long term, I see these pairings:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble / Engstrom as 7th D
We are probably a good 3 years away from making cup contending lineup decision.

Not sure why people want our management to Steve Yzerman our team.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It depends on the offer. If a 1st round pick is offered i don't think he'll be there past the TDL no matter what. The last two drafts KH traded a first to acquire Newhook and then move up to get Hage. I think he'll value having three 1st round picks and multiple 2nd round picks next draft to do a trade to improve the team for the 2025-2026 season.

I think people overrate our vets quite a bit. They can play a depth role in a cup wining lineup but wont improve a rebuildign team. If we are in a race for the playoffs it's because kids will have moved those vets aside. Vet precense can always be acquired in the summer. The team will improve by moving those vets aside not by holding onto them. Only vet worth keeping is Matheson. The rest are expendable easily at the TDL if good offers are made.
Technically Suzuki and Laine are vets now (25+ years old), but I think everyone gets what you are saying.

Reactions: Paddy17 and LaP

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
If you click on old quotes from Slafy, it takes you to Lockin. :laugh:
Oh no, that can’t be right!!

This Lockin person swore that they were different people!!!

I chose to believe him, even with the eerily awful trade proposals, exact same writing style, and addiction to being pilloried.

I am shocked about this development, please @Lockin17 can you help settle these disturbing allegations??

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Technically Suzuki and Laine are vets now (25+ years old), but I think everyone gets what you are saying.
I was obviously talking about ~30+ players ;) but yeah i agree with you 100% some of our kids are now experienced enough to be considered "vet presence" in the lineup.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
I can see Anderson having a comeback type of season, but the offensive output will not be great because he is no longer looked at like a top 6 player. They needed it from him before, they don't anylonger.
I do think a few goals, and a different style of a role from him would be a good thing. They need some phsical play from guys, and he is one of them. He then settles into that role, and enhances his value.............trade or keep both of which could be an option.

Anderson was never a big producer anyway. His strength lies in playing a physical north south forechecking game by using his size and speed. To apply pressure along the boards , tire opposing defensemen and create some space. Something he was never really the same at after his shoulder injuries.

If by miracle he's healthy , find that fire again and can bring that element to a line then he may be useful again. Otherwise i envision more or less the same type of season as last year with him bouncing around the lineup and likely ending up on the 3rd or the 4th.

Reactions: BLONG7

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It takes time for some people to update their world view and beliefs... ;)
More a habit things. We have used vets to means "older not very good players" for so long that we forgot the kids become vets after a few years too...

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
More a habit things. We have used vets to means "older not very good players" for so long that we forgot the kids become vets after a few years too...

Exactly

In 92-93 Damhousse and Muller were considered vet.

Damphousse was 25
Muller was 27
Desjardins was 23
Schneider was 23
LeClair was 23
Roy was 27 (younger than Dvorak)

Last edited:

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
We are probably a good 3 years away from making cup contending lineup decision.

Not sure why people want our management to Steve Yzerman our team.
Yzerman definitely made some idiot moves. I like that our management is brewing something special here. We already have all component within organization to build a contending team in 3 years.
I like how they calculate every single step and how patient they are. With the depth of our prospect pool we might maintain our contending window open for several years, not only 2-3 chances.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yzerman definitely made some idiot moves. I like that our management is brewing something special here. We already have all component within organization to build a contending team in 3 years.
I like how they calculate every single step and how patient they are. With the depth of our prospect pool we might maintain our contending window open for several years, not only 2-3 chances.
Stevie Y is a decent GM, but he no longer has the advantage of being in Florida, where players want to go and others want to stay........weather, taxes were a selling feature down there, but in Michigan, not so much.

Reactions: Colezuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad