HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
As always, it depends on the return. Would it be a mistake if Mailloux was included in a package that got us another top 5 pick next year and a chance to pick one of Hagens, Matrone, Schaffer, McQueen or Misa?
I think it would be a mistake. RD is already a hole. We don't need to make it bigger. Our future top 6 is pretty much set and we have two 3rd line guys in Newhook and Roy (plus future Hage) that can step up for injuries.

Schaefer has a much higher ceiling than Mailloux...he would be a good target in top 5, but depends o. what you package with Mailloux and how comfortable he is playing on the right side.

Never say never on anything, but I prefer we keep Logan for now.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think it would be a mistake. RD is already a hole. We don't need to make it bigger. Our future top 6 is pretty much set and we have two 3rd line guys in Newhook and Roy (plus future Hage) that can step up for injuries.

Schaefer has a much higher ceiling than Mailloux...he would be a good target in top 5, but depends o. what you package with Mailloux and how comfortable he is playing on the right side.

Never say never on anything, but I prefer we keep Logan for now.
Can’t argue with your position. Hughes is way too smart to assume a ‘never’ position on any matter. If Gretzky can be traded, any player is marketable. It all depends on the return. And the prevailing circumstances.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
As always, it depends on the return. Would it be a mistake if Mailloux was included in a package that got us another top 5 pick next year and a chance to pick one of Hagens, Matrone, Schaffer, McQueen or Misa?

It also depends on whether Mailloux overachieves next year and unexpectedly emerges as a top pairing defenceman.

Too many variables and uncertainties surround this unusual prospect to adopt an inflexible position. Hughes will keep all his options open.
I do not think this would be right approach. We need to implement our young D to first team. Guhle is the only fully established young D in NHL and he still only has 114 games under his belt. Hutson, Barron, Xhekaj, Struble, Reinbacher, Mailloux, they all need to gain NHL experience ASAP if we really want to be a contender in 2-3 years.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Zadina is whom a lot of this forum and indeed a great many professional scouts would have selected instead of Kotkaniemi. One bust ahead of another. That is a great example of how even drafting top 3 is a crapshoot.

If Gorton, Hughes, and Bobrov actually end up nailing all three of the Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, and Demidov picks it will be a tremendous achievement. A key reason, perhaps the key reason, that most rebuilds last a long time is that the majority of top-ten picks don't pan out. But Habs management may have nailed three consecutive top ten picks. Amazing.

[Nota Bene: I'm aware of how today so many claim that back in 2018 they either wanted Tkachuk or Hughes. I was in those threads, I followed the conversation, so I know that that's not true, it's just retroactive clairvoyance from narcissistic and insecure validation seekers.]

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Zadina is whom a lot of this forum and indeed a great many professional scouts would have selected instead of Kotkaniemi. One bust ahead of another. That is a great example of how even drafting top 3 is a crapshoot.

If Gorton, Hughes, and Bobrov actually end up nailing all three of the Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, and Demidov picks it will be a tremendous achievement. A key reason, perhaps the key reason, that most rebuilds last a long time is that the majority of top-ten picks don't pan out. But Habs management may have nailed three consecutive top ten picks. Amazing.

[Nota Bene: I'm aware of how today so many claim that back in 2018 they either wanted Tkachuk or Hughes. I was in those threads, I followed the conversation, so I know that that's not true, it's just retroactive clairvoyance from narcissistic and insecure validation seekers.]
To be fair, I think the biggest issue is t necessarily the pick but the development of the player once drafted. There’s been a material shift since HuGo came in on how they develop their prospects, particularly with where and how they play. We saw it with Caufield, Slaf, Roy, Guhle, Xhekaj etc. where they take mucu more care in making sure they’re put in a position to succeed that tailored to each player.

That’s what gives me the most hope moving forward on whomever they draft. Development team is in place!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I was in the Zadina crowd. Taught me not to put so much into WJC

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Wouldn't be awesome if we convinced a certain other team that he's very good, and therefor they need to trade us Crosby? :naughty:

Nah, we'll do just fine without trading for Crosby.

I mean, he'd be an amazing add to our team taken on his own.

But he doesn't fit our timeline for contention seeing as he probably will retire in a year or two, and I think we'll only be a truly good team after that timeframe.

But if, against all odds, Crosby is still around in 2027 and manages to maintain close to the same level he did last year, then perhaps things change if we're competitive and he's available.

DrBizz4r3

Oct 5, 2020
I know it’s early, but HuGo offensif mentionned that the big summer is (will begin) in 2025. Even if it would be sweet to have draisatl, rantanen or Crosby, I have doubts that they will even GO to UFA… A name that I can see making sense (a Target) is Shea Theodore at RD (Even if he’s a lefty). I think that a solide top4 can help a more natural transition of our D and we have Space and place on our top Dline. Just a premature thought

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Nawww now you're getting a bit crazy

Anderson and Domi were both great trades and didn't cost us any picks. Petry was an outstanding trade and extension, he literally carried us for multiple seasons. The Serg pick was never actually transferred, and the Edmundson pick was a great move because again he helped us get to the Cup Finals, and we sold him off for more than we paid for him.

Allen was a fine move but I didn't like it at the time, the real mistake was Hughes signing him to an extension, not Bergevin

Galchenyuk (3rd overall pick) + 2020 3rd round pick -> Domi -> Anderson were not a good trades.

A good trade would have been to identify sooner than AG was not the guy and then trade him at full value like TB did with Drouin. This is what would have been a good trade. Getting Anderson for a 3rd overall pick + 3rd round pick was not good at all.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
First time in a while that i fell we should not be trading anything anymore.

Top 12 next year will be top 10 NHL level.
CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Roy
Kapanen-Beck-Florian

Top 6 D in the top 10 NHL level as well.
Hutson-Reinbacher
Matheson-Guhle
Wifi-Mailloux

Depth , we got plenty good ones, Mesar, Heinemen, Engstrom, Koivu, Farrell, 2025 first pick.

Goalies ? Fowler as to pan out in 2 years top otherwise that would be the only weak link.

Who in the hell would you want to move out and bring in ???
The only problem I see with that is there are a couple of players who will still be under contract that you've neglected to mention.
They won't magically disappear unless we move them or buy them out or LTIR.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You are consufing WJC and World Championship. Kapanen was very good against pro players incl. NHLers.
Nope, still the same issue. Isolated event stats don't make a player.

Crosby be UFA if he gets here I imagine. Wouldn't want to be the GM in Pitt who traded Crosby
Well you have a good point, except the GM isn't the decider in this case. Sid decides.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I was in the Zadina crowd. Taught me not to put so much into WJC
The WJC is fine as long as you aren't ignoring everything else.
I still want my top guys performing on the biggest stage as opposed to not performing on the biggest stage.

For example no one here was disappointed Beck was MVP at the Mem Cup.
Owen Beck also played a primary role the previous season in getting a dog of a team like Peterborough to the Mem Cup.
Zadina is probably a head case in the sense that he thought he was all that.
Maybe he was until he stopped working at it?

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The WJC is fine as long as you aren't ignoring everything else.
I still want my top guys performing on the biggest stage as opposed to not performing on the biggest stage.

For example no one here was disappointed Beck was MVP at the Mem Cup.
Owen Beck also played a primary role the previous season in getting a dog of a team like Peterborough to the Mem Cup.
Zadina is probably a head case in the sense that he thought he was all that.
Maybe he was until he stopped working at it?
If we want to be honest Zadina was not great at the u20. He played a total of 12 u20 games and did 9 points. That's pretty meh. Don't remember him being very impressive either. Maybe my mind is playing trick always hard to remember clearly the past but i'd venture to say Mesar looked almost as good as Zadina at the u20.

As long as you're not stats watching then u20 and wc are fine. Small sample size are always dangerous but watching Slafkovski being a head and shoulder better than NHL regular middle six players at the WC was very telling. Obviously did not tell us anything about if he could sustain this over a full season but you could see the skill was there. I'll always remember that game against Canada where Slafkovski made Josh Anderson look like a ECHL player. I was on board the train after than game.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well in the tournament I remember he and Necas created all the offense for the team.
The first year yeah sort of. But Zadina only scored goals and personally i'm always skeptical of the whole i'm Brian Savage and i can only score goals thing. If there's one thing i learned throughout the years watching hockey is that scoring goals and not assisting plays à la Brian Savage or vice versa à la David Desharnais is never sustainable long term unless you are very very good at it like Ovechkin, Bure, Thornton since NHL teams will quickly adjust, You have to be able to do both in some sort of capacity at the NHL level.

Zadina both in the u20 and QJMHL the year he was drafted was mostly scoring goals. Obviously NHL teams would not let him do that unless he was Bure or Ovechkin which he clearly was not. His playmaking abilities were pretty much a black box at this point and his defensive play too.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad