HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
since KH got PL the talk of Zegras is over.
got a PP man at a very low cost comparted to what it would have cost

Savard may be gone by Trade deadline but not before

Reactions: tazsub3

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
since KH got PL the talk of Zegras is over.
got a PP man at a very low cost comparted to what it would have cost

Savard may be gone by Trade deadline but not before
I think Savard is here to stay. In fact, I think we will resign him where he can be the #6/7 dman for next year to help the likes of Reinbacher/Mailloux transition into the top 4.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Martin and Clutterbuck are 35, 36yo, Entwistle is 25yo. If you bring in vet they need to be able to play or else it harder for them to have influence or there trying to stay relevant rather then helping younger player (ageing out for a pro player isn’t easy). Entwistle might still be able to pull a Verhaeghe, not likely but he could be a bottom 6, I rather take that gamble on a 25yo with size and some draft pedigree than on a 36yo…

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sherwood is 29 and finally had a breakthrough. Joshua is 28. We never know with some of these big boys.

Martin and Clutterbuck are 35, 36yo, Entwistle is 25yo. If you bring in vet they need to be able to play or else it harder for them to have influence or there trying to stay relevant rather then helping younger player (ageing out for a pro player isn’t easy). Entwistle might still be able to pull a Verhaeghe, not likely but he could be a bottom 6, I rather take that gamble on a 25yo with size and some draft pedigree than on a 36yo…

Joshua showed his worth the previous season and then did even better as he got better lineages.

Entwistle doesn't even produce in the AHL.

How is being a 13th forward going to help them develop?

Overall, none of these are good additions as Martin and Clutterbuck are close to retirement and Fasching and Entwistle are hoping to get even remotely close to having a career like the previous two.

Martin - adds toughness and physicality.
Clutterbuck - little toughness, PK, physicality and can still play.

Fasching - soft, seems to need top 6, or at least top 9 deployment and he won't get that here until injuries take place.

Entwistle - physical, little bit of toughness, maybe a bit of PKing. Hawks fans don't like him at all, so they're likely hoping he gets claimed.

I was thinking he should be a solid player and was shocked he was traded to Chicago when Chicago was doing a cap dump, but Entwistle is a very, very meh player.

Fasching - was really hoping the Habs would draft him, but the Habs decided to draft small players with no future. He was traded to Buffalo for McNabb and some 2nds, Great asset management by LA there. Struggled and just worked his way back to the NHL.

I'd be fine with either 4 of these, but Entwistle and Fasching are definitely 3 and 4 on that list.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Joshua showed his worth the previous season and then did even better as he got better lineages.

Overall, none of these are good additions as Martin and Clutterbuck are close to retirement and Fasching and Entwistle are hoping to get even remotely close to having a career like the previous two.

Fasching - soft, seems to need top 6, or at least top 9 deployment and he won't get that here until injuries take place.

Entwistle - physical, little bit of toughness, maybe a bit of PKing. Hawks fans don't like him at all, so they're likely hoping he gets claimed.

I was thinking he should be a solid player and was shocked he was traded to Chicago when Chicago was doing a cap dump, but Entwistle is a very, very meh player.

Fasching - was really hoping the Habs would draft him, but the Habs decided to draft small players with no future. He was traded to Buffalo for McNabb and some 2nds, Great asset management by LA there. Struggled and just worked his way back to the NHL.

I'd be fine with either 4 of these, but Entwistle and Fasching are definitely 3 and 4 on that list.
I prefer a 23-24 year old a team reluctantly waives over these 4 has beens or never weres. No more guys getting their retirement farewell party in Montreal.

Reactions: bsl and tazsub3

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I can't understand why some people here want to sign or trade for 4th liners at this point in time. We already have a bunch of vets occupying those lines. They're overpaid for what they bring, but they bring the same thing or more than 3rd or 4th liners that you would sign.

It's not because you're pissed at Anderson or Gallagher that they're worse than a 4th liner you can bring in. Stop acting on emotions.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I prefer a 23-24 year old a team reluctantly waives over these 4 has beens or never weres. No more guys getting their retirement farewell party in Montreal.

Quite often those are just small players who are lacking the skills to succeed in the NHL. If there's one with size, I'd prefer them, too.

I can't understand why some people here want to sign or trade for 4th liners at this point in time. We already have a bunch of vets occupying those lines. They're overpaid for what they bring, but they bring the same thing or more than 3rd or 4th liners that you would sign.

It's not because you're pissed at Anderson or Gallagher that they're worse than a 4th liner you can bring in. Stop acting on emotions.
This, or at least the players I'm suggesting isn't because of Anderson, or Gallagher, it's because this team is kind of soft. Also, from what I've seen no one has brought them up here, so I'm not even sure what your point is.

Martin would be the 13th forward, Clutterbuck would likely be the 13th forward. They're there to put into the lineup against tougher teams so RHP can sit out.

The NHL has slightly shifted back to tougher, bigger players. Xhekaj is nice to have, as is Anderson who shows his mean streak about 3 times a year.

If a game goes south and let's say Xhekaj gets kicked out for being too aggressive, the Habs are left with Anderson, who likely won't step up and Pezzetta who's a punching bag. You've got Guhle who can do alright, but you don't really want him fighting some plug to protect the team.

Dach seems decent, but it's the same as Guhle.

Struble, maybe OK. Same with Savard and Matheson, but that's depleting your d-core to defend your team. It's why the Habs could use another tough guy who can play be with the team.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Nope. Another poor take. Irrelevant to anything I've said this far, but also nonsense.

Also baseless.
What the heck are you talking about? All those swipes and barbs are completely inconsistent and incomprehensible.

Clarity is a virtue.

I’d prefer one more NHL vet for depth and rotation purposes. Speaking for myself, here.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Is that a real quote from Necas or is it fake news?

If real it is very encouraging
It's only encouraging if he doesn't turn up an overpaid middle 6 player. I'm happy he got that bridge deal at 2 seasons. If he's the real deal though, who do you bump out of the line up? Dach? I sure wouldn't pay 6.5 mil+ for a 3rd line center.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hughes must had big interest in Zegras though. He almost traded 21st pick for him. If Laine don't work out long term he may re-visit it.
To be honest I don't really buy that 21st pick rumour. He would have traded something else to get Zegras at that price.
Is that a real quote from Necas or is it fake news?

If real it is very encouraging
If you're talking about that article, he doesn't really say anything besides how he praised the fans, the atmosphere, and the ice quality. He also mentioned that there were rumors between him and the Habs and that there were talks but nothing happened. It's not really saying anything.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's only encouraging if he doesn't turn up an overpaid middle 6 player. I'm happy he got that bridge deal at 2 seasons. If he's the real deal though, who do you bump out of the line up? Dach? I sure wouldn't pay 6.5 mil+ for a 3rd line center.
I would. Centres are key to success. Dach is only making 3.3 mil for the next 2 years and Habs could use another centre in case Dach goes down again. If Dach misses as many games over the next 2 years as he has in the last 2 years he should be cheap to re sign and the extra money could go to Necas.

Reactions: vokiel

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What the heck are you talking about? All those swipes and barbs are completely inconsistent and incomprehensible.

Clarity is a virtue.
As are consistency, coherence and competence. But I'm not sure what relevance there is to talk virtues when discussing a poor take.

It's not a barb to point out a bad take.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To be honest I don't really buy that 21st pick rumour. He would have traded something else to get Zegras at that price.

If you're talking about that article, he doesn't really say anything besides how he praised the fans, the atmosphere, and the ice quality. He also mentioned that there were rumors between him and the Habs and that there were talks but nothing happened. It's not really saying anything.
Hughes said on draft floor he expected make a deal. Definitely been offensive forward. High probability it was Zegras. He must had hard on for Zegras. Willing to move that pick. Likely due to his connection with Caufield. Might have been Necas but see much less chance.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Hughes said on draft floor he expected make a deal. Definitely been offensive forward. High probability it was Zegras. He must had hard on for Zegras. Willing to move that pick. Likely due to his connection with Caufield. Might have been Necas but see much less chance.
You seem to be the only one with a “hard on for Zegras,” since there was nothing connecting him to Montreal. Multiple sources had Montreal in on McGroarty but that ship sailed when Hage was still available at 21.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Entwistle Is now with Florida by the way and if Hugo wanted him, they would have sign him when he was UFA

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Hughes must had big interest in Zegras though. He almost traded 21st pick for him. If Laine don't work out long term he may re-visit it.
If HuGo had big interest in Zegras, he would’ve been here. Especially if the price was a first round pick in the 20+ range. If anything, I think that tells us they weren’t that interested because if you think Zegras is going to be apart of your core as a top 6 center long term you pull the pin at that price everytime.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
If HuGo had big interest in Zegras, he would’ve been here. Especially if the price was a first round pick in the 20+ range. If anything, I think that tells us they weren’t that interested because if you think Zegras is going to be apart of your core as a top 6 center long term you pull the pin at that price everytime.
I seriously doubt that Anaheim would trade Zegras for a package where the top asset acquired was a 21st OA draft pick.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I expect it would have been more than a 1st round pick. Now I would do 2025 Mtl 1st, Barron and B forward for him. With Zegras there is no way they don't finish top 15.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I seriously doubt that Anaheim would trade Zegras for a package where the top asset acquired was a 21st OA draft pick.
The reported rumor was Mailloux + 21st for Zegras and a 2nd.

Once Demidov was drafted, i don't think that Zegras was still in the plans.
Hugues talked about not wanting duplicates.

I think there was more than one trade scenario prepared involving the 21st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad