HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Could put Dach on wing
Why would they ever bring in Crosby? “Sorry Nick, but you aren’t good enough to be our number one centre so we brought in someone else.” It’s not happening. The top 6 is the top 6 once Demidov arrives. They aren’t bringing in any vets for the top 6. They have their core.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Many don't improve sufficiently. Hence the commentary about Barron -- what should improve (his physicality). @Kobe Armstrong said Barron's terrible in his end because he's not physical and avoids it. I contributed to your response by stating it is hard to imagine his success if he doesn't have either more physicality or phenomenal stick and puck skills.

Hope this helped.
Nope, you clearly missed the point.

It's not irrelevant to state that many prospects don't improve sufficiently when discussing a prospect who needs to improve.
Maybe that's what you meant, it's just not what you posted. I replied to what you wrote.

Had you posted that, I'd likely have replied " thanks Captain Obvious, appreciate you pointing out that a 22 year old that isn't yet an NHL regular, won't become one without improving" :facepalm:

Victor Mete failed in the NHL because he never built up his physical game. This fate could await Barron if he doesn't improve.

250 NHL games for a 5'9 dman picked in the 4th round is a huge success by any reasonable standard. Only 28 players total from his draft class have played more, and only 3 out of 111 players picked after him.

Again, you make statements that are simply hyperbole and not grounded in anything resembling a coherent argument. Bad takes to justify previous bad takes is a weird posting habit.

Reactions: mdk

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Nope, you clearly missed the point.

Maybe that's what you meant, it's just not what you posted. I replied to what you wrote.

Had you posted that, I'd likely have replied " thanks Captain Obvious, appreciate you pointing out that a 22 year old that isn't yet an NHL regular, won't become one without improving" :facepalm:

250 NHL games for a 5'9 dman picked in the 4th round is a huge success by any reasonable standard. Only 28 players total from his draft class have played more, and only 3 out of 111 players picked after him.

Again, you make statements that are simply hyperbole and not grounded in anything resembling a coherent argument. Bad takes to justify previous bad takes is a weird posting habit.

Mete “failed” because his offensive game never translated to the pros. He wasn’t bad positional in his own end, but who’s keeping a guy that small if he can’t produce?

And I agree. Getting 250 games out of a 4th liner is a pretty good career all things considered.

Reactions: Miller Time

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
...or maybe three Hall of Fame defensemen, like those great teams from the '70's. :naughty:
Been backbone of many Montreal cups. Not only Big Three of those 5 Cups in '70s. But JC Tremblay, Lapierrerre, Savard big part of 5 cups in 60s plus '71. Almost 5 straight in '60s but Sawchuk played out of his mind in '67.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Shouldn’t they have THREE top 3 defensemen?
Yes, but some people want to dump Matheson because we have one other one right now.

Guhle was playing right side simply because Mailloux, Reinbacher and Engstrom were not ready yet, but people with an axe to grind want to blame Matheson for that, which is illogical.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Victor Mete failed to stay in the NHL because he never added physical play to his game. It's got naught to do with how good value he was as a draft pick for heaven's sake. Draft position does not factor into the evaluation of a player's game.

The guy is out of the NHL at age 26 because he was never good enough skill-wise and never put it together physically. Barron is not yet established in the NHL because he has not yet shown good enough skill to make up for his lack of physicality.
On se calme.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Crazy thought but what if the Habs had TWO top-3 Ds? Is that too much?

In my opinion it is only too much if your secret desire is to tank for a top-5 pick again for the next two seasons.
I mean... someone has to TAKE the spot from him:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble (?)
ex. Barron

If and when Reinbacher, Engstrom, and/or Mailloux come up -- one of them + Hutson will have to earn minutes away from Matheson. I think if all goes well, Hutson will chip away at PP time and win the 1st PP PMD role. Guhle or Reinbacher will put in some monster shifts as defensive minute eaters, and before you know it they'll have formed the top3 in TOI. Matheson will be a superb 2nd pairing option until he's traded away or retained.

I don't want to sell him for selling's sake. I want to win playoff series with him in the optimal spot and optimal TOI.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Victor Mete failed to stay in the NHL because he never added physical play to his game. It's got naught to do with how good value he was as a draft pick for heaven's sake. Draft position does not factor into the evaluation of a player's game.

The guy is out of the NHL at age 26 because he was never good enough skill-wise and never put it together physically. Barron is not yet established in the NHL because he has not yet shown good enough skill to make up for his lack of physicality.

On se calme.
Barron has good offensive upside, decent size and wheels. But No hockey sense in his own end. If he could keep his game simple in own end could be affective player. If he would learn to make good first pass. He's also had injuries and only played 100 NHL games. Time for him yet.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I mean... someone has to TAKE the spot from him:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble (?)
ex. Barron

If and when Reinbacher, Engstrom, and/or Mailloux come up -- one of them + Hutson will have to earn minutes away from Matheson. I think if all goes well, Hutson will chip away at PP time and win the 1st PP PMD role. Guhle or Reinbacher will put in some monster shifts as defensive minute eaters, and before you know it they'll have formed the top3 in TOI. Matheson will be a superb 2nd pairing option until he's traded away or retained.

I don't want to sell him for selling's sake. I want to win playoff series with him in the optimal spot and optimal TOI.
Reinbacher or Mailloux will more likely get their minutes from Savard than Matheson.

Hutson is nowhere near ready to taqke on 20+ minutes this year. HNis time will come at the expense of Barron, Xhekaj or Struble.

Guhle and Matheson could each play left side for a total of 45 minutes, Hutson for 15 minutes if/when he makes the team

Personally, I think Mailloux is the rookie most likely to make the squad in October. He made enormous strides with Laval last year. And let's not forget, he'd bring extra points too. Hutson is not the only option to boost the offence.

Barron/Savard - Matheson
Savard/Barron/Struble - Guhle
Mailloux/Xhekaj/Struble

Matheson and Guhle would play every game, Savard might rest maybe 5 games total when there are 3-in-4 night stretches, and so Barron/Mailloux/Struble/Xhekaj might sit now and then (but not too much) when everyone is healthy.

Also, I think Orville will be ready for the show before Hutson, due to his pro experience, playing against larger men. If it were me, I would consider a definitive callup for Reinbacher after Savard is moved at the TDL, while if he defends well in Laval, Hutson would get low-pressure auditions when the inevitable injuries occur, and maybe stick if he really performs. Struble and Xhekaj are waiver-exempt and can be sent down if not playing up to third-pair standards.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Reinbacher or Mailloux will more likely get their minutes from Savard than Matheson.

Hutson is nowhere near ready to taqke on 20+ minutes this year. HNis time will come at the expense of Barron, Xhekaj or Struble.

Guhle and Matheson could each play left side for a total of 45 minutes, Hutson for 15 minutes if/when he makes the team

Personally, I think Mailloux is the rookie most likely to make the squad in October. He made enormous strides with Laval last year. And let's not forget, he'd bring extra points too. Hutson is not the only option to boost the offence.

Barron/Savard - Matheson
Mailloux/Xhekaj/Struble

Matheson and Guhle would play every game, Savard might rest maybe 5 games total when there are 3-in-4 night stretches, and so Barron/Mailloux/Struble/Xhekaj might sit now and then (but not too much) when everyone is healthy.

Also, I think Orville will be ready for the show before Hutson, due to his pro experience, playing against larger men. If it were me, I would consider a definitive callup for Reinbacher after Savard is moved at the TDL, while if he defends well in Laval, Hutson would get low-pressure auditions when the inevitable injuries occur, and maybe stick if he really performs. Struble and Xhekaj are waiver-exempt and can be sent down if not playing up to third-pair standards.

Orville?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Looking at some potential waiver targets, Fasching and Entwhistle could be nice stop gaps for the bottom 6 if no one shines at camp. Rather those guys than the carcass of Clutterbuck or Martin. It'd make sense of taking advantage of our waiver priority.

Reactions: calder candidate

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Nope. Another poor take. Irrelevant to anything I've said this far, but also nonsense.

On se calme.
Also baseless.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but a bad take is a bad take, no matter how you try to reframe or pivot it

Moving on...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Mete “failed” because his offensive game never translated to the pros. He wasn’t bad positional in his own end, but who’s keeping a guy that small if he can’t produce?

And I agree. Getting 250 games out of a 4th liner is a pretty good career all things considered.
Mete was always a long shot because of his size. He was a runt that was only going to make it if he could find a way to excel in what he was good at and that never happened.

Reactions: Miller Time

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Barron/Savard - Matheson
Mailloux/Xhekaj/Struble

Xhekaj and Struble are not in competition with Matheson as they are competing for the third pair spot.

Matheson will not be on the third pair long term. He's both too good and too expensive for that. At this point he's good enough to be the first LHD but long term he's in competition with Guhle, Hutson, and possibly others for a top-4 LHD spot.

I expect that he will become the odd man out, but it may be a while.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Looks like Chicago may need to acquire a backup goaltender. We've got to give if Dobes out-performs Primeau?

Edit: Looks like they could use Soderblum or Commesso also

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Looking at some potential waiver targets, Fasching and Entwhistle could be nice stop gaps for the bottom 6 if no one shines at camp. Rather those guys than the carcass of Clutterbuck or Martin. It'd make sense of taking advantage of our waiver priority.
Maybe Fasching, but Entwistle is way more of a carcass than Martin, or Clutterbuck.

Clutterbuck provides you with physicality, pk and leadership.

Martin is a physical, tough bottom 6 guy.

I'd easily take Clutterbuck over Fasching. Martin would be closer, but would likely take him, too.

Habs already have Anderson as a big, disappointing body. Let's get someone who actually does something

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Maybe Fasching, but Entwistle is way more of a carcass than Martin, or Clutterbuck.

Clutterbuck provides you with physicality, pk and leadership.

Martin is a physical, tough bottom 6 guy.

I'd easily take Clutterbuck over Fasching. Martin would be closer, but would likely take him, too.

Habs already have Anderson as a big, disappointing body. Let's get someone who actually does something
It's a matter of upside. Maybe our staff can make these guys improve a tiny bit. Those guys you want are at the end of the road and fact they are still unsigned makes me think whether they'd still have played NHL hockey in last few years if it hadn't been for Lou.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's a matter of upside. Maybe our staff can make these guys improve a tiny bit. Those guys you want are at the end of the road and fact they are still unsigned makes me think whether they'd still have played NHL hockey in last few years if it hadn't been for Lou.
Fasching is 29. He isn't going to change. Entwhistle is 25. He might improve under MSL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad