Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Way too many question marks to be this hopeful. We have yet to see a healthy Dach for a full season. Laine has been trending down up to this point. Slafkovsky's final half of last season was great, but he still only hit 50 points. We can't get too excited like when fans on here were clamoring about how Caufield would hit 40 or 50 goals. Speaking of which, we don't know how Caufield will perform this year.

Who knows what will happen on D. The only certitude for me is that Hutson will have a breakout year. He looks as electrifying as Subban was back then. Matheson is unlikely to repeat last season considering he never was that good before.

Our goalies are ok, but you can't expect miracles like we usually got with Price in the past.

Honestly, I'd rather we just pick high again and finish this rebuild nicely! Too many good teams in our division anyway.

There are plenty of reasons to be hopeful and that can not be denied.

I did not say that I am expecting them to turn into a playoff team which is something that you could critique but "hope" is an entirely different word than "expect".

It is likely that Slafkovsky will be better this season and he was on nearly a ppg pace over the final 40 games therefore it would not be unreasonable to expect him to come close to 70 points but I hope that he score 80+. Both "hope" and "expect" are solidly grounded in evidence yet have little relation with one another.

Laine was a ppg player with Columbus over his final two seasons previous to entering the program this past season and he did this without a playmaking center.

If Hutson breaks out it will be at the expense of Matheson's numbers and I am perfectly content with that.

To speak with cynicism about Slaf's ability to do someting that he has already proven to be capable of and then turn around and guarantee Hutson's meteoric rise to stardom is a blatant contradiction as you are not applying the same underlying principles to each scenario.

Teams who take massive steps historically do so due to internal progression from their own players and not necessarilly by trading although a trade or two doesn't hurt. This team has all of the ingredients to potentially take the league by surprise and this can not be objectively debated. We can however debate the likelihood of it actually happening.

I see a combination of Carolina and New Jersey when they surprised everyone. Hopefully we can stay healthy and take a big step forward as another year of finishing in the bottom five might start to bear seeds of doubt in the young core and is not what any fan should be hoping for. If we finish bottom 5 it will be because we have sustained serious injuries and/or our youngsters have not progressed and to wish for that is crazy imo.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He is as talented as any player chosen in 2022. I didn't say he should have been picked top 5 but there is no denying he is a top 5 talent from that draft.

Top 5 talent is the exact same thing as saying that he should have been drafted in that area. Size, Strength, Speed are all ingredients that go into determining overall talent.

If you want to say that he has top 5 offensive skills then that would be a statement that could actually be debated. The dumbest thing that fans consistently say (not you) is "if he was; insert height/weight, he would have gone so much higher" as though that has any meaning whatsoever and makes him a better player lol. For every little guy like Hutson who works out there are far more who do not yet these fans will anecdotally point to their go to examples and present them as the norm despite the overwhelming evidence on the other side of the debate.

I wanted us to pick him exactly where we got him because of the offensive upside and it worked out. Of course there will be those who will claim that they knew he would be great and wanted him with our 2nd first of 2022 but they are not sharing all of the times that they were wrong.

Anyways...Lane still has plenty to prove but I believe that he will be a big time offensive producer. Hopefully his intelligence and combativeness will advance his defensive game to the point where it is passable in the NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why post in this thread if it triggers you so much ? There is no world where Hutson wasn't a top 5 talent in 2022. The issue was always his size, not his talent. At 6'2", he goes 1st OA.

There was no triggered response.

I provided context to a statement that was at the very best misworded.....it is you who is again triggered as you are every time someone mentions that Hutson may not be the next Bobby Orr even if they exude praise on parts of his game that deserve it,

This is a message board and not an echo chamber so that begs the question. Why post on a message board when you are not willing to accept anything other than echo chamber narratives that you can discuss in your own head?

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
no question.

If you grade him individually on each attribute he does not sniff the top 5, if you are referring to puck skill and offensive IQ I am in total agreement that he is at least top 5 and maybe even #1. Unfortunately the latter of these two scenarios does not equate to "talent" but much closer to "skill" and these two words are not synonymous. We just watched Fraser Minten easily catch him from behind despite one of the main critiques of Minten has always been his skating. Speed and strength are two very important attributes that are part of a "talent" portfolio and too many fans conflate "skill" with "talent" nowadays.

I love Hutson as a prospect but I get shoved into these situations where fans are overzealous with their praise. I am not insinuating that you are one of these antagonists but I literally can not provide an objective opinion that every pro scout would likely agree with on this board about Lane Hutson without being attacked and often on the personal side.

Every game he plays, he proves himself more and more.

Agreed although this game meant absolutely nothing. He has an enormous competitive drive that you just can not bet against

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Top 5 talent is the exact same thing as saying that he should have been drafted in that area. Size, Strength, Speed are all ingredients that go into determining overall talent.

If you want to say that he has top 5 offensive skills then that would be a statement that could actually be debated. The dumbest thing that fans consistently say (not you) is "if he was; insert height/weight, he would have gone so much higher" as though that has any meaning whatsoever and makes him a better player lol. For every little guy like Hutson who works out there are far more who do not yet these fans will anecdotally point to their go to examples and present them as the norm despite the overwhelming evidence on the other side of the debate.

I wanted us to pick him exactly where we got him because of the offensive upside and it worked out. Of course there will be those who will claim that they knew he would be great and wanted him with our 2nd first of 2022 but they are not sharing all of the times that they were wrong.

Anyways...Lane still has plenty to prove but I believe that he will be a big time offensive producer. Hopefully his intelligence and combativeness will advance his defensive game to the point where it is passable in the NHL.
Yeah ok. I don't need 9 paragraphs to make my point. He is as talented skill wise as any player chosen in the 2022 draft.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you grade him individually on each attribute he does not sniff the top 5, if you are referring to puck skill and offensive IQ I am in total agreement that he is at least top 5 and maybe even #1. Unfortunately the latter of these two scenarios does not equate to "talent" but much closer to "skill" and these two words are not synonymous.
Honestly though… does it matter? The whole is greater than the sum of the parts here.

I don’t care if he’s not the biggest or if he’s not the best skater. I care about the outcomes when he’s on the ice.

He crushed records in the NCAA and has looked flat out awesome. Let’s just see how this plays out. He looks like the real deal and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he wins the Calder this year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah ok. I don't need 9 paragraphs to make my point. He is as talented skill wise as any player chosen in the 2022 draft.

I am sorry that you are allergic to context....perhaps twitter is more suited for the type of responses that you desire. Why even start with such a petty statement? Just acknowledge that perhaps semantics was the issue and move on. I think we agree more than we do not and I will always provide context to my replies rather than having to throw out a dozen replies to different posters who misunderstand/misinteperet my posts.

I agree that his puck skills are as good as any player in the draft.

Now we can be friends again...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am sorry that you are allergic to context....perhaps twitter is more suited for the type of responses that you desire. Why even start with such a petty statement? Just acknowledge that perhaps semantics was the issue and move on. I think we agree more than we do not and I will always provide context to my replies rather than having to throw out a dozen replies to different posters who misunderstand/misinteperet my posts.

I agree that his puck skills are as good as any player in the draft.

Now we can be friends again...
Keep the context coming! In this case I felt my point was pretty clear and I stand by the fact that his talent is as good as any player taken in the 22 draft. Yes we can be friends 🤣 again

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The was no triggered response.

I provided context to a statement that was at the very best misworded.....it is you who is again triggered as you are every time someone mentions that Hutson may not be the next Bobby Orr even if they exude praise on parts of his game that deserve it,

This is a message board and not an echo chamber so that begs the question. Why post on a message board when you are not willing to accept anything other than echo chamber narratives that you can discuss in your own head?

This post is easily disproven as you'll struggle to find these triggered posts of mine you're alluding to. There's no need to project here. For some reason, this prospect and the way he's understandably hyped by fans online bothers you. Just enjoy the ride man, he's one of the most fun players we've ever had coming up. This shouldn't make someone angry.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This post is easily disproven as you'll struggle to find these triggered posts of mine you're alluding to. There's no need to project here. For some reason, this prospect and the way he's understandably hyped by fans online bothers you. Just enjoy the ride man, he's one of the most fun players we've ever had coming up. This shouldn't make someone angry.

Every time I speak about Hutson you get triggered and act as though it is a personal attack on you.....seriously, stop replying to me if it is just going to be the same thing over and over.

The truth isn't always as you want it to be and I point it out.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Every time I speak about Hutson you get triggered and act as though it is a personal attack on you.....seriously, stop replying to me if it is just going to be the same thing over and over.

The truth isn't always as you want it to be and I point it out.

Nobody's out to get you. It just seems that his overhype triggers you. It seems that way, but it could be that it doesn't and I'm misinterpreting. It's fine either way. Bringing up points about his physical limitations and skating is good discussion, as they're legitimate points.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Nobody's out to get you. It just seems that his overhype triggers you. It seems that way, but it could be that it doesn't and I'm misinterpreting. It's fine either way. Bringing up points about his physical limitations and skating is good discussion, as they're legitimate points.

Thank you

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Still a little bit concern about his speed and I think sometimes he tries to do to much with the puck what he won’t be able to do in the NHL, but when he has the puck in the Ozone, he’s Markov 2.0. Can find anybody on the ice and create offensive chances like not a lot of players can

I think that's a fair assessment... And, watching him at 4 levels (NCAA, WJC, NHL, AHL/prospect), what I see is the mix of moxie and capacity to make opponents commit and then exploit them to create space & attack lanes to the net (passing or shooting).

He'll occasionally get caught, and being small and not an elite skater, it'll be hard to recover... But at every level I've seen him, the way he beats opponents is cerebral, not physical, and that very much can translate to the NHL as long as he keeps his physical abilities at the edge of their capacity & his technical skills at the upper tier of his peers, which he does via relentless work ethic, drive and coachability.

I think he's going to be an elite NHLer, barring career altering injury. He's got that dog in him :dd:

Reactions: Sagikev

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
There are plenty of reasons to be hopeful and that can not be denied.

I did not say that I am expecting them to turn into a playoff team which is something that you could critique but "hope" is an entirely different word than "expect".

It is likely that Slafkovsky will be better this season and he was on nearly a ppg pace over the final 40 games therefore it would not be unreasonable to expect him to come close to 70 points but I hope that he score 80+. Both "hope" and "expect" are solidly grounded in evidence yet have little relation with one another.

Laine was a ppg player with Columbus over his final two seasons previous to entering the program this past season and he did this without a playmaking center.

If Hutson breaks out it will be at the expense of Matheson's numbers and I am perfectly content with that.

To speak with cynicism about Slaf's ability to do someting that he has already proven to be capable of and then turn around and guarantee Hutson's meteoric rise to stardom is a blatant contradiction as you are not applying the same underlying principles to each scenario.

Teams who take massive steps historically do so due to internal progression from their own players and not necessarilly by trading although a trade or two doesn't hurt. This team has all of the ingredients to potentially take the league by surprise and this can not be objectively debated. We can however debate the likelihood of it actually happening.

I see a combination of Carolina and New Jersey when they surprised everyone. Hopefully we can stay healthy and take a big step forward as another year of finishing in the bottom five might start to bear seeds of doubt in the young core and is not what any fan should be hoping for. If we finish bottom 5 it will be because we have sustained serious injuries and/or our youngsters have not progressed and to wish for that is crazy imo.
The difference between Hutson and Slaf is that it's apparent to the eye that Lane is a breakthrough, unique player. Slaf doesn't look particularly special, aside from his size. He had success for a few months playing with the best players on the team. It will take one or two full seasons of that for me to think he's a first line player.

I hope Laine turns it around, but with him it seems like the issue is more mental than anything else. We've had our share of talented players who were disappointing because they couldn't get over those mental hurdles. I guess time will tell.

Both Matheson and Hutson could accumulate a good amount of points. The Habs wouldn't be the first team in the league to have two offensive minded d-men who produce many points.

And, yea, it can be objectively debated that this team isn't going to take the league by storm. :laugh: We've been sitting comfortably at the bottom for a few years now. Until the proof is in the pudding, I'll be quite skeptical.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The difference between Hutson and Slaf is that it's apparent to the eye that Lane is a breakthrough, unique player. Slaf doesn't look particularly special, aside from his size. He had success for a few months playing with the best players on the team. It will take one or two full seasons of that for me to think he's a first line player.

I hope Laine turns it around, but with him it seems like the issue is more mental than anything else. We've had our share of talented players who were disappointing because they couldn't get over those mental hurdles. I guess time will tell.

Both Matheson and Hutson could accumulate a good amount of points. The Habs wouldn't be the first team in the league to have two offensive minded d-men who produce many points.

And, yea, it can be objectively debated that this team isn't going to take the league by storm. :laugh: We've been sitting comfortably at the bottom for a few years now. Until the proof is in the pudding, I'll be quite skeptical.

To say that Slaf doesn't look particularly special aside from his size is an asinine assertion and entirely discredits the rest of your post.

Do you think that a single GM would need to think more than a split second about who they would rather have between Slaf and Hutson? It would be 32 - 0 in Slaf's favour anf that is not a knock on Lane but Slaf is a much more important piece to any team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad