Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
oie_TJMs37lxiPro.jpg

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Part of me doesn’t want Dubas to give up the their first pick. With teams not being able to see players this year I feel Dubas and company may be able to steal someone late.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
How much is all that gonna cost us ?

Realistically,

Laughton probably costs a 2nd round pick + a prospect along the lines of a Joey Anderson or Adam Brooks.... Essentially the equivalent of a 2nd + 4th.

Iafallo probably costs a 2nd round pick and prospect along the lines of a Filip Hallander or Ronnie Hirvonen.... Essentially the equivalent of two 2nd's.

Jamie Oleksiak probably costs a 3rd round pick + 4th round pick, or depth prospect. The picks speak for themselves.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I think the plan should be to acquire a good fit for Matthews and Marner. And another good fit for the 3rd line to play with Hyman.

????- Matthews - Marner
Gally - JT - Nylander
Hyman - ???? - Mik
Thornton/Simmonds - kerfoot - Spezza

Or put Engvall in for kerfoot if he gets dealt.
Have 3 solid lines and someone who can cause havoc with Hyman.. maybe Foligno?

Hyman-Foligno-Mik

That's a tough line to deal with and possibly a really good shutdown line.

Reactions: The Cobra

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Available/shopped:
- Taylor Hall (combination of retention, $ out, and likely an additional replacement for whoever goes out)

Available/semi-available:
- Nick Foligno (double retention required)
- Scott Laughton (retention required)
- Alex Iafallo (retention required)

Possibly available but expensive:
- Jaden Schwartz (double retention required)

?????
- Mattias Janmark (retention required)

Outside-the-box:
- Nick Paul
- Miles Wood (retention required)

Little underwhelming but Nick Paul may not be such a bad add if Ottawa were okay with giving him up; even if lost in expansion he'd allow Leafs to keep their other players; also no quarantine. He'd be a good fit on the defensive line, allowing Hyman too play up. Big & physical, good on draws, kills penalties.

Definitely would prefer they go bigger though.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think the plan should be to acquire a good fit for Matthews and Marner. And another good fit for the 3rd line to play with Hyman.

????- Matthews - Marner
Gally - JT - Nylander
Hyman - ???? - Mik
Thornton/Simmonds - kerfoot - Spezza

Or put Engvall in for kerfoot if he gets dealt.
Have 3 solid lines and someone who can cause havoc with Hyman.. maybe Foligno?

Hyman-Foligno-Mik

That's a tough line to deal with and possibly a really good shutdown line.

I'm really curious to see if they take two forwards out of the lineup via addition. I would personally, but I have a feeling that the only way they add two forwards is if an Engvall or Kerfoot are going the other way. One forward makes sense because they can rotate Simmonds and Thornton, while getting Spezza some rest down the stretch as well. 2 forwards means that multiple guys aren't playing and I don't know if Dubas will shake that chemistry, unless they're shipping a guy out of town and getting one back.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Available/shopped:
- Taylor Hall (combination of retention, $ out, and likely an additional replacement for whoever goes out)

?????

Outside-the-box:
- Nick Paul

Little underwhelming but Nick Paul may not be such a bad add if Ottawa were okay with giving him up; even if lost in expansion he'd allow Leafs to keep their other players; also no quarantine. He'd be a good fit on the defensive line, allowing Hyman too play up. Big & physical, good on draws, kills penalties.

I'd love Nick Paul, but I see no reality in which the Senators give him up because his value to them is more than what Toronto would want to pay for him (roughly a 3rd round pick). He is cost controlled at 1.35 million this year and next, will be extendable beyond that, for cheap, and is the exact type of player Ottawa needs to build their bottom 6 around, as they look to compete within a 2-3 year time frame from now, while the cap and their own internal budget are both concerns.

MrGroove

Mar 9, 2021
Leafs gotta pull a 94 rangers type deadline.
rangers won the cup in 1940, 1994 (54 years)
leafs won the cup 1967, (54 years is this year...)
rangers went out and got playoff type greats
Glenn Anderson, Craig Mactavish, Stephane Matteau at the deadline.
traded a great player in Gartner to leafs (one of the top goal scorers in NHL history but no Cup ring).
My favorite player Wendel Clark was asked who leafs need for playoffs: he said Foligno. I’m gonna trust his judgement. that’s the type of players we need. would be great to get more players who have won the cup already as well. Again rangers broke their 54 year wait, lets break our 54 year wait.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I'm really curious to see if they take two forwards out of the lineup via addition. I would personally, but I have a feeling that the only way they add two forwards if if an Engvall or Kerfoot are going the other way. 1 forward makes sense because they can rotate Simmonds and Thornton, while getting Spezza some rest down the stretch as well. 2 forwards means that multiple guys aren't playing and I don't know of Dubas will shake that chemistry, unless they're shipping a guy out of town and getting one back.

They need Kerfoot for the expansion draft.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Available/shopped:

?????

Outside-the-box:
- Nick Paul

What if they go out and get both Wood and Paul. Similar deadline to what the Bolts did last year when they acquired Coleman and Goodrow.

Wood - Paul - Mikheyev

I could dig that.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Leafs gotta pull a 94 rangers type deadline.
rangers won the cup in 1940, 1994 (54 years)
leafs won the cup 1967, (54 years is this year...)
rangers went out and got playoff type greats
Glenn Anderson, Craig Mactavish, Stephane Matteau at the deadline.
traded a great player in Gartner to leafs (one of the top goal scorers in NHL history but no Cup ring).
My favorite player Wendel Clark was asked who leafs need for playoffs: he said Foligno. I’m gonna trust his judgement. that’s the type of players we need. would be great to get more players who have won the cup already as well. Again rangers broke their 54 year wait, lets break our 54 year wait.

While Clark is one of my favourite Leafs ever, I don't know what Nick Foligno does better than the guys on the current roster, that help you win a playoff series?

Skating ability? Nope. It's dropped off considerably.

Scoring ability? Nope. He's essentially a Simmonds level scorer at this point in his career.

This is what he did in the playoffs last year, while playing in the top 6. Keep in mind that he'd have even less ice time in Toronto, playing in the bottom 6.

In the playoff series vs the Leafs last year (5 games) he had 3 points and took 4 minor penalties, for a total of 8 penalty minutes... Ewwww.

In the playoff series vs the Lightning he was a little bit better, chipping in 3 points and taking only 2 penalty minutes, in a series that his team lost 4-1.

Why should Toronto give up assets and seek double retention on a 5.5 million dollar, bottom 6 player, who is more likely to accumulate more penalty minutes in the playoffs than he does points? There was a time that he was essentially Zack Hyman. Those days are behind us. Foligno hasn't been that gritty two way guy, capable of 50 point seasons since 2016-2017, when he was 28-29 years old. He's 33 now, with a lot of wear on the tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
three way trade double retention for Foligno

Columbus gets:
2nd Round Pick
Mid-tier Prospect

Chicago get:
4th round pick
(retains half of salary)

Leafs get:
Nick Foligno (from Columbus)
Madison Bowey (from CHicago)

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I've seen some guys post that they want players who have been past the 1st round of the playoffs.

So here is the team I'll take to the playoffs comprised of players from only 4 teams. None of these players have won a playoff round. I chose Toronto, Ottawa, Florida and Buffalo as the teams I took players from.

Here is my lineup if everyone was healthy...

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Huberdeau-Barkov-Verhaeghe
Hyman-Eichel-Tkachuk
Batherson-Reinhart-Olofsson

Chabot-Ekblad
Reilly-Weegar
Dahlin-Ristolainen

Campbell
Ullmark
Driedger

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Did TSN say today that the Leafs might not do anything at the deadline because Palmeri and Granlund are unavailable to get now?

Or did I hear that wrong

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
McDavid and Draisaitl are going to dismantle the Jets if they meet in the playoffs. I really don’t think their defence is built to prevent rush chances. Especially so if they get Savard

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I listened to the Leaf Report Podcast today with Friedman as a guest. He said from what he can gather around the league Dubas is asking for the best forward available...who’s a fit. They’re looking for the best player, who has an edge, and will get along with the locker room. He thinks Dubas is putting a higher emphasis on locker room chemistry this year

Reactions: The Cobra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad