Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I think if the Leafs were actually in on Hall they wouldn't have dressed Galchenyuk for his 10th game. They could have sat him out a couple games, traded for Hall, had him play a week as an emergency exemption while Hall quarantines, then sent him back up with just under 2 weeks to go in the season.

Maybe I'm wrong and they secretly have a: 1) Andersen/Ullmark-Hall or 2) Kerfoot/Hall + Kerfoot-replacement trade up their sleeve but I doubt it.

Also Hall would have likely been sliding into where Galchenyuk is & based on Dubas' comments on locker room chemistry & the emergence of Galchenyuk, I highly doubt it happens.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Think we end up with 1 of Laughton/Lafallo and add a depth defenseman and call it a deadline

Dont think we want to overpay for the players available and we will stick with mostly what we got. That includes keeping and hoping Andersen is healthy and can play if Campbell falters.

Hall/Schwartz are big big moves but as rentals I dont want to pay more than 2021 1st + 1 of Abruzze/SDA/HolmbergMettinen for them at 50% retention

Dont think they should be fetching a 1st with our 2nd group of prospects (Hirvonen/Hallinder/Niemela/Hallinder) and they sure as heck are not worth any of lilijgren/sandin/robertson/amirov with their term, poor production, and age being factored in.

Hope Dubas holds the line and does not sell those guys. I'll take lower depth guys versus going after a big name.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think if the Leafs were actually in on Hall they wouldn't have dressed Galchenyuk for his 10th game. They could have sat him out a couple games, traded for Hall, had him play a week as an emergency exemption while Hall quarantines, then sent him back up with just under 2 weeks to go in the season.

Maybe I'm wrong and they secretly have a: 1) Andersen/Ullmark-Hall or 2) Kerfoot/Hall + Kerfoot-replacement trade up their sleeve but I doubt it.

Also Hall would have likely been sliding into where Galchenyuk is & based on Dubas' comments on locker room chemistry & the emergence of Galchenyuk, I highly doubt it happens.

I keep hearing people talking about acquisitions taking galchenyuks spot on the 2nd line and I just don't see why they'd do that. Gally has looked really good there and that line is heavily outplaying the opposition. Imo the obvious play is to find someone to line up with marner and Matthews so Hyman can go drive the 3rd line to levels of play they simply don't come close to without him

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
Bernier is starting in goal tonight for Detroit, he would be the ideal target as a backup in my opinion and Marc Staal as a bottom pair dman.

Bobby Ryan could also be a fit, maybe a reclamation project like Galchenyuk.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I keep hearing people talking about acquisitions taking galchenyuks spot on the 2nd line and I just don't see why they'd do that. Gally has looked really good there and that line is heavily outplaying the opposition. Imo the obvious play is to find someone to line up with marner and Matthews so Hyman can go drive the 3rd line to levels of play they simply don't come close to without him
That's exactly what I think too; a two-way player that can compliment Matthews-Marner but could also play a 3rd line defensive role is the need.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I feel like Hall is the belle of the ball and a name more than an actual need. I'd welcome the addition as long as the price is reasonable, but really think the other rumoured options make a lot more sense.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I feel like Hall is the belle of the ball and a name more than an actual need. I'd welcome the addition as long as the price is reasonable, but really think the other rumoured options make a lot more sense.

What's the point of adding another guy who has not seen the 2nd round of the playoffs in his career? I don't think he moves the needle for us.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's possible that Galchenyuk's play on the Tavares line has changed Dubas' urgency to pursue a bigger name, and he may opt to bolster the third line instead.

Also I don't understand the need to change the bottom pairing, which has been good all season.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bernier is starting in goal tonight for Detroit, he would be the ideal target as a backup in my opinion and Marc Staal as a bottom pair dman.

Bobby Ryan could also be a fit, maybe a reclamation project like Galchenyuk.
You lost me at Marc Staal. I’d definitely welcome Bernier back however, even if it were with the intentions of a possible extension. I’m more than fine with a tandem of Campbell and Bernier.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Holland: hey Kyle, interested in McDavid?
Dubas: no, he hasn't made it past the 2nd round

What does McDavid have to do with anything? Hall is nowhere near the talent that McDavid is plus he is several years older. Hall is very overrated, IMO. I'd rather add on D, if anything. I want a guy like Ekholm who can make our D a sure fire top 10 D in the league. You win with defence.

Reactions: Cleetus

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What does McDavid have to do with anything? Hall is nowhere near the talent that McDavid is plus he is several years older. Hall is very overrated, IMO. I'd rather add on D, if anything. I want a guy like Ekholm who can make our D a sure fire top 10 D in the league. You win with defence.
That wasn't the point. You said no Hall because he hasn't made it in the 2nd round. How about Komarov? He's awful but hey 3rd round.
Yes defence is important but you need to score too.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Maybe Hall is in quarantining in Canada already. :sarcasm:
Waiting till the 12th for cap space.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That wasn't the point. You said no Hall because he hasn't made it in the 2nd round. How about Komarov? He's awful but hey 3rd round.
Yes defence is important but you need to score too.

My point is that I don't like Hall. I actually wouldn't mind adding another vet that has been there done that. Unless you're adding someone like McDavid or something, lol. Hall is just a name at this point. Just my opinion, he is part of the problem in Buffalo this year. Why is it so wrong wanting to add someone who can help guide our young stars on what it takes to win in the playoffs?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Oleksiak would be a great option if they didn't sign Bogosian. Take away Dermott's puck moving ability and foot-speed from the bottom pair and you end up with two giants who can't move the puck up ice. Bogo defers to Dermott a ton on the breakout for a reason.

The blue-line is fine. If anything, find a league minimum 7th D who can PK if injuries pop-up, not a 2m+ marginal upgrade. The pendulum is swinging too far the other way with fans regarding the defense. Your D has to produce offense to go deep and this team relies entirely on Rielly. See TBL (Hedman, Sergachev, Shattenkirk, etc.), BOS (McAvoy, Krug, Grzelcyk, etc.) and STL (Pietro, Parayko, Faulk, etc.). Understandable after watching a butter-soft offensive D group for years, but it needs to be balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad