Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In all seriousness though, this feels like a locker room James Reimer would fit into well. Has a similar personality to Campbell kinda. If we acquire a goalie, I imagine he’ll be it.

Now there's an interesting thought.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

this makes sense

this makes sense

I really don't understand why the talking heads in the media keep acting like re-signing Zack Hyman is going to be some significant challenge.

First of all, he's not re-signing until after the Seattle expansion, therefore, the Leafs won't have to protect him. Secondly, there will be plenty of money to get him signed.

Off the books...
Freddy Anderson: 5.0m
Alex Kerfoot: 3.5m
Wayne Simmonds: 1.5m

On the books...
Zack Hyman: 2.5-2.8m (raise)
Goalie: 3.5-4.0m
Nick Robertson: 900k

You still have several million left to re-sign Simmonds and at cheaper center option.

The Leafs will have plenty of money.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I really don't understand why the talking heads in the media keep acting like re-signing Zack Hyman is going to be some significant challenge.

First of all, he's not re-signing until after the Seattle expansion, therefore, the Leafs won't have to protect him. Secondly, there will be plenty of money to get him signed.

Off the books...

On the books...

You still have several million left to re-sign Simmonds and at cheaper center option.

Kerfoot isnt off the books, he has a few years left

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Flyers
2021 2nd & 2022 4th
for
Scott Laughton @ 50%

Leafs - Blue Jackets
Alexander Kerfoot & 2022 2nd/3rd
for
Nick Foligno @ 50%

Foligno - - Matthews - - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Laughton - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds
Engvall

Switch Hyman/Foligno depending on fit*

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Kerfoot isnt off the books, he has a few years left

He'll either be taken by Seattle in expansion or traded this summer. His cap hit will not be kept to play on the 4th line. You can take that to the bank. His money will be freed up, one way or another, this off season.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He'll either be taken by Seattle in expansion or traded this summer. His cap hit will not be kept to play on thr 4th line. You can take that to the bank. His money will be freed up, one way or another, this off season.

My Irish brother is probably right here. One way or the other, it's probable he's gone. I'm not willing to say 100%, like him, but it's probable.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Leafs - Flyers
2021 2nd & 2022 4th
for
Scott Laughton @ 50%

Leafs - Blue Jackets
Alexander Kerfoot & 2022 2nd/3rd
for
Nick Foligno @ 50%

Foligno - - Matthews - - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Laughton - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds
Engvall

Switch Hyman/Foligno depending on fit*

Switch Foligno's name with Iafallo, or spend the extra assets and target Rakell or Schwartz and I'm a happy camper.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Off the books...

On the books...

There will be more money then that available.

Thornton 700K
Spezza 700K
Gally 1.05 M
Simmonds 1.5 M
Hyman 2.25 M
Bogosian 1 M
Andersen 5 M
Barabonov 900K
Sauborin 750K

If they expose Kerfoot which they will for 3.5 million or trade him that is another 3.5m. In total, 17.35 million is available next off season.

That is definitely enough to re-sign Bogo, Hyman and Gally as I can see them being brought back. That should cost about 8 million for all 3. That leaves just about 9 million to find a goalie, 3rd line C and some vet minimum contracts (Simmonds, Spezza, Perry, etc..). I dont see Simmonds warranting anything more then Spezza if he comes back. I can see Spezza taking home town discount for 700K to patrol our 4th line as hes done so well the past 2 seasons. He and Simmonds still add value at that price and I would bring them back.

Goalies to target:

Raanta
Grubauer
Rittich
Ullmark

Centers to target:

Getzlaf
Bonino
Granlund
Cizikas
Laughton
Haula

Wingers to target for top 6:

Hall
Saad
Foligno
Schwartz
Hoffman
Pearson
Lowry

Vet Minimum Contracts:

Perry
Spezza
Thompson
Bozak
Soderberg
Simmonds
Bogosian

There are lots of ways to upgrade this team.

Reactions: Burnie97

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Rickard Rakell is another forward who might potentially be available. Don't think he would cost too much. Def wouldn't have to include our 1st I mean.

Fun Note: Rickard Rakell would become our leader in Hits if he was acquired :laugh:
Wouldn't he cost a 1st + since he isn't a rental?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I know it isnt going to happen, but I want there to be a way for the Leafs to acquire Getzlaf to be the 3C for the playoff run.
Engval - Getzlaf - Mikheyev is a massive line thats good defensively.
It frees up Hyman to be the Matthews energy guy.
If Kerfoot was in the trade, you dont need to worry about protecting him in the expansion draft.
But mostly, Thorton, Spezza, Getzlaf would be an embarrassment of riches when it comes to veteran leadership that can play.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Friedman talks about signing Hyman in the first 1:40 and then talks about rentals after that

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
There will be more money then that available.

Thornton 700K
Spezza 700K
Gally 1.05 M
Simmonds 1.5 M
Hyman 2.25 M
Bogosian 1 M
Andersen 5 M
Barabonov 900K
Sauborin 750K

If they expose Kerfoot which they will for 3.5 million or trade him that is another 3.5m. In total, 17.35 million is available next off season.

That is definitely enough to re-sign Bogo, Hyman and Gally as I can see them being brought back. That should cost about 8 million for all 3. That leaves just about 9 million to find a goalie, 3rd line C and some vet minimum contracts (Simmonds, Spezza, Perry, etc..). I dont see Simmonds warranting anything more then Spezza if he comes back. I can see Spezza taking home town discount for 700K to patrol our 4th line as hes done so well the past 2 seasons. He and Simmonds still add value at that price and I would bring them back.

Goalies to target:

Raanta
Grubauer
Rittich
Ullmark

Centers to target:

Getzlaf
Bonino
Granlund
Cizikas
Laughton
Haula

Wingers to target for top 6:

Hall
Saad
Foligno
Schwartz
Hoffman
Pearson
Lowry

Vet Minimum Contracts:

Perry
Spezza
Thompson
Bozak
Soderberg
Simmonds
Bogosian

There are lots of ways to upgrade this team.

There really isn't 17+ million available, however, because the majority of the roster spots are being filled by players that will need replacement contracts at the same / similar value.

Gally: Toronto isn't paying that full 1.05 cap hit this season because he was added half way through.

Hyman: That 2.25 isn't actually coming off the books because he's going to get a raise. So you can actually add 2.5-2.8 to that total, not subtract it.

Bogosian: Another case of a guy who comes off the books in theory, but who Toronto will try to extend for the same or more money, and if they can't, his replacement will suck up that cash.

Thornton: Jumbo out at 700k + Robertson in at 850k actually costs you money, it doesn't save you money.

Spezza: Will likely be extended, again, at the same 700k. If not, his replacement will actually like cost more than 700k, so the Leafs aren't saving anything there.

Barabanov: His roster spot, at 900k, is going to replaced by a player at the roughly the exact same cap hit. Again, no savings.

Dermott: Likely a free agent, if not taken by Seattle, because unless he's willing to re-sign for another sub 1 million dollar deal, there is no money for him. Highly likely that he's replaced by Rasmus Sandin in the off season, at roughly the same cap hit.

That leaves the following players who actually give you the opportunity to free up money. All have to be replaced, but you can do so for cheaper.

Alex Kerfoot: 3.0m
Wayne Simmomds: 1.5

Those are the only 3 guys whose contracts are coming up, that aren't signed to what essentially is a league minimum contract and whose money won't simply be absorbed by a roster replacement.

You do realize that you have to fill these roster spots with guys that have contracts, right? You can't go out and spend 17 million dollars on a couple players and play with 10 forwards and 5 defensemen lol.

Think of it like this...

4.5-5.0m / Matthews / Marner
1.5-2.0m / Tavares/ Nylander
Robertson / 2.0m / Mikheyev
1.0m / Engvall / 700k

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Sandin / 1.0m

Campbell
3.5m

750k (forward)
750k (forward)
750k (defense)

That's basically the money you have in reality. Maybe you.chosr to use is slightly differently (cheaper goalie for example) for that's about all you can do. That's why I want a guy like Rickard Rakell, because if the Ducks retain on him for this year and next, he only costs 1.9 million again the cap. That's the type of impact player that would be an affordable addition to the team.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I feel like there's going to be a big splash, so I'll name the people that pop into my head.

I know Dubas has said rentals this season makes the most sense, but i know he loves getting players with term he feels can fit in.

Forsberg is at the top of my list for from left field big splash immediately makes us better.

Shwartz is another name I'd keep an eye on. Rakell i put in the same chance.

If im being honest i feel two trades happen, one for a player like Foligno and another the big swing trade like Forsberg.

Getzlaf would be awesome to anchor that third line, but how often are captains traded on a contract year? (Honest question lol)

Anyways it's going to be fun and interesting because i really do feel Dubas is going to make a big fence swing.

Which means Sandin is most likely gone imo. Which sucks because i love him, but the cup is the only goal here and with a big move and some depth, this is the greatest team ever assembled in my lifetime.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I'm not saying he is better, but Kerfoot is having a better season than basically everyone that has been linked to the Leafs.

Plus Kerfoot has been putting up point on the 3rd/4th line as opposed to players like Hall or Schwartz who get top 6 minutes and PP time.

Not to say Kerfoot is better than them, but some people have a serious case of grass is greener right now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Getzlaf would be awesome to anchor that third line, but how often are captains traded on a contract year? (Honest question lol)

Yes, Getzlaf would be an anchor for sure.

Why on earth would people want to pay whatever it costs, to obtain Getzlaf on a $8.25 mil contract, and pay yet another team, to retain a further 50%, when a guy like Laughton is at least as effective, at a fraction of the price?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not saying he is better, but Kerfoot is having a better season than basically everyone that has been linked to the Leafs.

Plus Kerfoot has been putting up point on the 3rd/4th line as opposed to players like Hall or Schwartz who get top 6 minutes and PP time.

Not to say Kerfoot is better than them, but some people have a serious case of grass is greener right now.

I'd be shocked if he was traded by Monday. They want to add to this team, not go sideways. The Leafs don't need to galaxy brain this. It's really simple what they have to do.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, Getzlaf would be an anchor for sure.

Why on earth would people want to pay whatever it costs, to obtain Getzlaf on a $8.25 mil contract, and pay yet another team, to retain a further 50%, when a guy like Laughton is at least as effective, at a fraction of the price?

Ducks fans are also saying the Getzlaf has no desire to leave Anaheim and Chase a cup.....so I guess that's out of the question.

Also...some flyers fans are saying the Flyers are better off re-signing Laughton. Options are diminishing by day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad