Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm not saying he is better, but Kerfoot is having a better season than basically everyone that has been linked to the Leafs.

Plus Kerfoot has been putting up point on the 3rd/4th line as opposed to players like Hall or Schwartz who get top 6 minutes and PP time.

Not to say Kerfoot is better than them, but some people have a serious case of grass is greener right now.
Kerfoot and what he brings to the team are highly under-rated
he is still the top option for salary to be relieved but, not for lack of talent or desire to otherwise keep him.
the flat cap was unexpected and all teams have been impacted by it. ...everyone was expecting 2-4% min increate each year, not flat.

Reactions: TMLAM34

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Hall could be a possibility in the final hours if Buffalo mistakenly holds onto him for too long; if they're scrambling to get even a 2nd/3rd for him at that point to the few suitors on his NMC he has then sure he's worth it, even if Kerfoot has to go (I'd hope they could find a replacement for him as well, even if it's a slight downgrade; hopefully Dubas would have a backpocket deal there).

That's not great, there's no chance he should be looking to pull close to what Palmieri did; they might just hold onto their captain.

Dallas plays Florida Saturday, Nashville plays Tampa. Dallas & Nashville play each-other the next day; if they come out of Saturday even & Nashville beats Dallas that really puts a dagger in Dallas considering what they have to makeup and their schedule.

I'd hope the Leafs could add Oleksiak (or Iafallo/Laughton, or Foligno if the price is reasonable, or Hall if he happens to go cheap), but if they could add Oleksiak + Iafallo/Laughton using a third party team to retain some extra salary, that would be even better.

Schwartz sounds like a longshot but if they could get him for a reasonable offer that doesn't involve one of their top prospects, that's a homerun.

Think the Leafs should stay patient & gamble, that's already the game they're playing to begin with, why not play the odds.

Reactions: The Iceman

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Yes, Getzlaf would be an anchor for sure.

Why on earth would people want to pay whatever it costs, to obtain Getzlaf on a $8.25 mil contract, and pay yet another team, to retain a further 50%, when a guy like Laughton is at least as effective, at a fraction of the price?

I just mentioned him in passing, i don't see it possible or logical from either side, just that it would be cool. Hence why i was joking about captains being traded at deadlines.

I'd prefer whatever was spent to pry him away go towards a Forsberg or a Shwartz personally.

Reactions: Fogelhund

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Taylor Hall his last 3 seasons 102 games, 18 goals, -35

With 14 playoff games in 11 seasons
WITH 9 of those playoff games only happening because of a trade deadline transaction.

Otherwise he would sit at 5 career playoff games in 11 seasons.

Is he really the guy we think he is????

Somehow thats his fault?

18 goals in 102 games=TH fault
-35 in 102 games = TH fault
5 career playoff games in 11 seasons except for the year he was traded at the deadline...yup TH as a leading player of many of those teams bears a massive amount of the responsibility. Is it anybodies fault? No, but he has blood all over his hockey gloves as they would say on Dateline :)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im sure Dubas already has a couple of depth trades lined up in his back pocket assuming the big fish he wants doesn't fall on his lap

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
If Folignos asking price is too high lets just be done with it then, im not a big believer in that addition anyway and if Columbus wants to overvalue him thats their call.

Lets not waste time, we have one real crack at this lets grab someone for their real value, which is going to hurt, i feel Sandin is all but gone if we take a big stab (and i do feel we are going too)

It's exciting lol.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

WITH 9 of those playoff games only happening because of a trade deadline transaction.

5 career playoff games in 11 seasons except for the year he was traded at the deadline...yup TH as a leading player of many of those teams bears a massive amount of the responsibility. Is it anybodies fault? No, but he has blood all over his hockey gloves as they would say on Dateline :)
So we as well trade all our core players then. They were the leaders and haven't gotten it done.
Can we get some actual good points to not get Hall, instead of he hasn't won? This is not basketball

Reactions: ER89 and Lumberg

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We have enough high flash and skilled players.

What we need are guys who are not afraid to get into board battles, get in the dirty areas, get in front of the net and cause havoc, get in on the forecheck, create energy.

I'd be so disappointed if we get Taylor Hall.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

What we need are guys who are not afraid to get into board battles, get in the dirty areas, get in front of the net and cause havoc, get in on the forecheck, create energy.

how many players on the Leafs are afraid to get into board battles that you think it's their biggest need? Never mind the fact that Hall isn't afraid himself

Reactions: stickty111

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

Methinks you haven't paid much attention to Taylor Hall's career.
I'm not a fan of Taylor Hall, but that sounds a lot like Taylor Hall, what I'd add to it is that he has some "high flash and skill"

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
So we as well trade all our core players then. They were the leaders and haven't gotten it done.
Can we get some actual good points to not get Hall, instead of he hasn't won? This is not basketball

I would be quite excited to get Hall but I think acquiring him rules out other moves and I'm a tad bit worried about depth on D. I think i'd be trying pretty hard to acquire a #6 or #7 d-man. Our blueline has been shockingly healthy and that's not gonna keep happening throughout the playoffs.

I think there is a really strong argument to acquire a lesser, cheaper forward, adding depth on D and a depth goalie over acquiring Hall.

You'd finally complete a 3rd line that can be safely buried in the D-zone and you'd be acquiring sorely needed C depth as well (if said forward acquired is Laughton). This would also free up Hyman to be comfortably stapled to the first line without worry he's needed elsewhere.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Laughton - Engvall - Mikheyev
Thornton/Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza

Morgan - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Oleksiak - Bogosian
Dermott

Campbell/Andersen
Forsberg

Having said all that, getting Hall would be really exciting. It'd allow Hyman to be lined up on the 3rd line and we all know how improved the 3rd line (or any line) is with him on it.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

This possibility was brought up yesterday

Those guys are so stupid sometimes, saying it cost the devils 5.2M to get a 1st round pick because thats the AAV they retained. Escrow, deferrals and how much of the season has been paid out makes that number so much lower.

Reactions: Menzinger

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Methinks you haven't paid much attention to Taylor Hall's career.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this narrative came from. He is a high energy guy that doesn't shy away from board battles. Sometimes to his detriment. He would compliment Tavares very well.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...ours-the-latest-on-possible-deadline-targets/
Friedman on Anton Forsberg as a possibility if the Leafs look to add in net:
We haven’t mentioned one name yet, and that is the guy I have started to wonder about: Anton Forsberg. This guy has played one game all year in the NHL suddenly does a back-to-back in the NHL for Ottawa. I didn’t think about it, but someone called me Tuesday morning and said, “Does it not seem weird to you that Anton Forsberg, who had one game all season, suddenly played back-to-back for Ottawa?” That is unusual. I do wonder if that is a showcase.

There is a guy who is making minimal or close to it. He has been unbelievable this year in a ridiculous situation. All of the teams that have had him have said, “All he does is go to practice and just play.” His counting numbers have been pretty good — at least superficially, they are good. He played in an AHL game where beat the Marlies and looked good. I am extrapolating a lot of things here.
I also think the Leafs aren’t going to get a depth goalie unless they think he is better than Hutchinson. Are you comfortable with Campbell, Andersen and Forsberg, or Campbell, Forsberg, and Hutchinson? I don’t know what it is going to be, but it has to be better and healthier than what they have. How many people fit that?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Looking at the offseason, I think worst case for Kerfoot is a flip with Arizona for Tyler Pitlick once Kerf's bonus is paid. We save 1.7 cap on the year, they save 1.5m dollars. I'd like a pick for the difference in player quality, but again worst case.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Don't have the cap for that
Bro why are you so negative and hung up about this cap space.

Wood makes 2.75 million and Paul makes 1.35 million. All we would need to do is involve Kerfoot in a Wood trade.

Relax on this no cap space to make any moves bs you keep mentioning.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Really odd to blame a hockey player for playing on bad teams. I’m assuming you think the Blues were stupid to pick up Bouwmeester too right? Pretty sure he had like zero playoff games when they got him. Can’t win cups with a guy like that right?

Also convenient ignoring most of Halls playoff games are from him going into MVP mode and dragging the devils to the playoffs.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Folignos asking price is too high lets just be done with it then, im not a big believer in that addition anyway and if Columbus wants to overvalue him thats their call.

Lets not waste time, we have one real crack at this lets grab someone for their real value, which is going to hurt, i feel Sandin is all but gone if we take a big stab (and i do feel we are going too)

It's exciting lol.

Not if we are looking at rentals, and we should only be looking at rentals right now. Nobody on the market, even guys with term, should be commanding Sandin.

At this point I am pushing hard for Laughton, Schwartz, or Iafallo as a rental, and he should not cost any top prospects or 1st round picks. If we can't get them, and the prices suck for Hall and Hoffman, then maybe we look at more creative trades involving guys with term. Or maybe a guy like Sam Bennett comes cheaper now that Calgary probably wants him out before expansion.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

I'd be more disappointed if we paid the price for double retention on Nick Foligno. If we wanted a savy, past his prime forward who doesn't skate well anymore and doesn't produce points, we might as well go grab Bobby Ryan from the Red Wings for a bag of pucks. They're producing offensively at near identical levels... No way I want to pay what Columbus will ask for Foligno simply to add a couple shot blocks and a guy who is likely to produce more penalty minutes than points in the playoffs.

Foligno is a 33 year old, 30-35 point, minus player, who can't skate anymore and has double the penalty minutes on the season than he does points...

He's not the player he was circa 2016.

Guys like Iafallo or Laughton are objectively better players at this point in their careers, and both could likely be had for less than Foligno.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It's such a simplistic, and flawed way of looking at things.

His drives possession very well, and continues to. He’s shooting well, well below his career average of 10%, converting on just 2.3% of his shots. The Sabres aren’t doing much better with him on the ice, shooting at 6.7% and providing 0.868 goaltending, which makes you quickly understand how he’s -21 despite a +45 differential on shot attempts, and +2 differential on expected goals. So with him on the ice, Buffalo is getting many more shot attempts, but are shooting like crap, and getting terrible goaltending, leading to the bad plus minus. Is it Hall's fault that the goaltending in Buffalo, outside of Ullmark, has been atrocious?

Meanwhile, he's won two World Cups, U-18, two Memorial Cups, two OHL Championships, U-18's, 2nd in U20'sm OHL MVP, CHL MVP, NHL MVP..so if you are trying to make the argument that he can't play on winning teams, or be a winner, you really are barking up the wrong tree.

I'm not saying that Hall is the right guy to get, or the price will be right, but let's not pass lazy thinking, as a thorough analysis of the player.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like the organization and fans are severely overrating Galchenyuk's 10 games with the leafs. It's going to bite them hard if they don't add a top 6 winger.

Reactions: Jozay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad