Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
All the "Pillar for leadoff" talk was bad enough in the offseason. I can't believe someone is getting this worked up about switching two hitters by one spot in the lineup when they've been equally productive lately.

Also, for future reference, it's been my experience that anyone who uses the term "End of story" in an argument is always wrong.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Been on holidays for a week, just got back and heard the Jays sent Sanchez to the minors??? What the hell??

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Theyre just skipping a start to limit his innings. He's getting sent down for 10 days to Dunedin and coming right back up.

Spend a bit of time in Florida at the training facility rather than on the bench. Also opened up a roster spot
I guess there will need to be a move or 2 today with Pillar back and JB back in 2 days

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Oi, oi.

well no more playing around :laugh: we have to really start making games against Boston because we're exactly tied with them.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
TMZ? Seriously?

And Edwin has two different STD's? Okay...

So what if it's TMZ? Are you saying the lawsuit isn't real?

Because his agent seems to think it's pretty damn real
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/agent-lawsuit-edwin-encarnacion-inappropriate-meritless/

The agent for Edwin Encarnacion says the Toronto Blue Jays slugger will fight a lawsuit reportedly seeking $11.5 million in damages, and that he intends to file counter claims against the complainant.

In a statement released to Sportsnet, Paul Kinzer described the action served against his client as “completely inappropriate and meritless.â€

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
first spring training workout wasnt until Feb 26th

I wasn't sure when it started, but I do remember a number of Jays players posting a picture on Twitter of them all at a SuperBowl party (first week of February) in Florida. I know many of them arrive pretty early to get to work, but I suppose they would be free to come and go until formal work outs begin.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Richard Griffin on the Joey Votto bandwagon.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/blue...s-need-joey-votto-more-than-ever-griffin.html

It's definitely an interesting concept, but I wonder what the cost would be in terms of prospects from the system?

I start thinking about next year's lineup:

Travis
Donaldson
Votto
Tulo
Martin
Saunders (if they can re-sign him)/Upton platoon
DH?
RF?
Pillar

It would likely cost you SRF + Tellez + their choice of Alford\Pompey, minimum. Probably would need another arm thrown in. I would make them take Smoak back, and would not require them to eat salary if it meant the package was lighter.

Its actually not a horrible idea. You have to remember that you will replenish your farm with at least two comp picks and presumably your own 1st round pick, getting to select your own prospects (as opposed to inherited ones from the previous regime).

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
From that article:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/blue...s-need-joey-votto-more-than-ever-griffin.html

The Jays enter the stretch drive with absolutely no left-handed threat. Since the all-star break, the five lefty swingers on the roster — Justin Smoak (switch hitter), Michael Saunders, Ezequiel Carrera, Ryan Goins and Josh Thole, plus the recently departed Darrell Ceciliani — have combined to bat a dismal .161 with 43 hits in 267 at-bats. In those 33 games, lefty Jays bats have just eight homers and 19 RBIs with 32 walks and 101 strikeouts. Teams look to save left-handed starters against the Jays.

There is a reason the Indians beat the Jays two out of three in Cleveland in a hotly contested series of one-run games. Check out the Indians lineup on Sunday. Manager Terry Francona had five switch-hitters and three left-handed hitters, with four right-handed swingers on the bench. When it came to the game-winning homer off lefty reliever Brett Cecil, Jose Ramirez turned around to bat right. On Friday, left.

Meanwhile, the Jays countered against former Cy Young winning right-hander Corey Kluber with lefties Saunders, Carrera and Goins. Nobody in the AL fears the Jays’ lefties. Southpaw Andrew Miller, acquired by the Indians to be the closer, watched the ninth inning from the Tribe bullpen and didn’t pitch in the series. Jays left-handed hitters were 7-for-35 (.200) in the three-game set with four walks and 13 strikeouts — and the Indians did not go to one lefty pitcher.

If Votto joined the Jays for the final month, Encarnacion could DH with Bautista in right and Saunders and Melvin Upton Jr. sharing left field.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
It would likely cost you SRF + Tellez + their choice of Alford\Pompey, minimum. Probably would need another arm thrown in. I would make them take Smoak back, and would not require them to eat salary if it meant the package was lighter.

Its actually not a horrible idea. You have to remember that you will replenish your farm with at least two comp picks and presumably your own 1st round pick, getting to select your own prospects (as opposed to inherited ones from the previous regime).

For me it's the opportunity cost for the upcoming offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad