Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Why do people keep on saying things like this? Always blame the female victim it's pretty sickening people say things like this just to avoid blaming the athlete in this situation.

Not to get into this, because it has no place in a baseball forum; however, if a young woman decides to sleep with multiple men, multiple times, and they all just so happen to be professional athletes who play for the same franchise; there is nothing wrong with his observation.

Also, the experiences described therein the article describe consensual situations; there is no victim in this case. Only a plaintiff (seeking USD$11MM) and a defendant. If there was a victim, there would a criminal investigation in addition to the civil suit.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
6 players who can be traded by the Aug. 31 deadline

Matt Kemp, OF, Atlanta Braves
Kemp is no stranger to being traded. In fact, the Braves outfielder was already moved once this season when Atlanta acquired him from the Padres on July 30 in a deal that was seen as a bit of a head-scratcher. While Kemp’s best years are definitely behind him, he could be appealing to teams looking to add a veteran slugger with some pop in his bat. The two-time All-Star is hitting .261/.295/.478 with 26 homers this season, but his subpar defensive skills limit his value on the trade market. While Kemp is a decent option for teams lacking outfield depth, he could be a solid addition for a contender that could use him in a designated hitter and/or pinch-hitting role heading into the postseason. Potential landing spots: Blue Jays, Astros

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
For me it's the opportunity cost for the upcoming offseason.

Understandably. An acquisition of a contract that size would hamper you greatly in terms of flexibility, while also leaving two holes in your regular lineup. Though I would venture to say your infield, and up the middle positions are set, and the others can be filled easier.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
It would likely cost you SRF + Tellez + their choice of Alford\Pompey, minimum. Probably would need another arm thrown in. I would make them take Smoak back, and would not require them to eat salary if it meant the package was lighter.

Its actually not a horrible idea. You have to remember that you will replenish your farm with at least two comp picks and presumably your own 1st round pick, getting to select your own prospects (as opposed to inherited ones from the previous regime).
HELLLLLL no.

SRF, Tellez, Urena, Alford are going nowhere.

Pompey, McGuire, Ramirez, Vlad Jr., Harris, Greene fine. But for a huge, terrible contract like Votto's, you do NOT send your best prospects the other way. And I like Votto...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do people keep on saying things like this? Always blame the female victim it's pretty sickening people say things like this just to avoid blaming the athlete in this situation.

She seems promiscuous by the story. Why do people always use always?

Not to get into this, because it has no place in a baseball forum; however, if a young woman decides to sleep with multiple men, multiple times, and they all just so happen to be professional athletes who play for the same franchise; there is nothing wrong with his observation.

Also, the experiences described therein the article describe consensual situations; there is no victim in this case. Only a plaintiff (seeking USD$11MM) and a defendant. If there was a victim, there would a criminal investigation in addition to the civil suit.

Thanks, I'm sure many know of girls that liked to be around a Team. They all seemed to be cut from the same mold.

Back to baseball, any of the injured back tonight?

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
HELLLLLL no.

SRF, Tellez, Urena, Alford are going nowhere.

Pompey, McGuire, Ramirez, Vlad Jr., Harris, Greene fine. But for a huge, terrible contract like Votto's, you do NOT send your best prospects the other way. And I like Votto...

I agree.

I would be fine including 1 top prospect, and some other mid level prospects in exchange for them eating some of the value on his contract, but The hell if I am going to give up multiple top pieces for him.

He is a great addition, but he is signed to a massive contract. Eat 5m a year, and i'll include Tellez and maybe a prospect you like in my system.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Then no Votto.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We have to give to get, but don't pretend like votto isnt a giant anchor on their finances for a struggling team. They likely want him off the team as much as we want him. Its a win-win for both teams.

Like I said, Tellez + in exchange for them eating some contract.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

This is actually an instance where you can at least partly blame the victim.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
This is actually an instance where you can at least partly blame the victim.

Well, lets hold on.

No one is saying that EE isnt responsible for giving her STDs (if true), however this is one of those "you get what you deserve" type comments. No one is going to cry for this woman who sleeps around for getting STDs albeit she deserves compensation for it not being disclosed.

This isn't a woman who got raped and were trying to deflect it by going "shes a *****, she deserved it".

Its a woman who slept around who got STDs. Honestly, if he didn't tell her and they are major STDs EE should be charged with a felony if it can be proven. Its sexual assault.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
my only issue is that how would we do this trade now? wouldn't a team like Boston just claim him on waivers, forcing the Reds to recall him off them, and essentially block the trade from happening?

Dont know if Boston or any team would risk claiming Votto. Anyone that claims Votto would be on the hook for 179M over 7 years. If Votto waived his NTC then the Reds would willing wash their hands and let Votto and his 179M+ go for free. They want out of that financial commitment as a rebuilding team.

I highly doubt anyone claims Votto because of his contract. Too much risk if the Reds just let him go.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Dont know if Boston or any team would risk claiming Votto. Anyone that claims Votto would be on the hook for 179M over 7 years. If Votto waived his NTC then the Reds would willing wash their hands and let Votto and his 179M+ go for free. They want out of that financial commitment as a rebuilding team.

I highly doubt anyone claims Votto because of his contract. Too much risk if the Reds just let him go.

I agree, but I also think that if we do get votto its something we do in the off season for specifically this reason.

There might be teams like BOS/NYY that would claim him just to prevent toronto getting him, and they have the finances to do it.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

I agree to an extent, but roles reversed, if a guy was seeing one girl and then shortly after hooking up with her friend, that guy would seem like a ****boi

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

fair enough but at the same time, if they were trading him to us for assets, they wouldnt want to give him to boston for free, no?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Then it would go against what the person said as being a skank and team door knob. People blamed the trainer in the Peyton Manning incident. People blamed the girls in the Tiger Woods situation. People are entitled to their opinion but please avoid victim blaming. Edwin has a girlfriend and a child with a woman but it's ok just to blame the victim and I am using the term victim because a person wants to use the term skank. Wouldn't it be wiser to see how things turn out instead of coming out and calling someone a skank? So just to make it clear you think she's in the wrong and Edwin is ok?

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Then it would go against what the person said as being a skank and team door knob. People blamed the trainer in the Peyton Manning incident. People blamed the girls in the Tiger Woods situation. People are entitled to their opinion but please avoid victim blaming. Edwin has a girlfriend and a child with a woman but it's ok just to blame the victim and I am using the term victim because a person wants to use the term skank. Wouldn't it be wiser to see how things turn out instead of coming out and calling someone a skank? So just to make it clear you think she's in the wrong and Edwin is ok?

She isn't a skank because she got a STD from someone.

Shes a skank because she is sleeping with multiple members of the team and is clearly someone who is very promiscuous.

How do you know that EE wasnt given permission from his girlfriend to sleep around? Its quite common among powerful/rich men.

Its not victim bashing, its calling a spade a spade. IF this is true, she is definitely a "victim" in that she got STDs from someone who allegedly said he was clean, but it doesn't make it "bashing" to call her a skank. No one is saying that she shouldn't be compensated, but she 100% is a skank if shes sleeping around that much, especially with multiple members of the same team.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I agree to an extent, but roles reversed, if a guy was seeing one girl and then shortly after hooking up with her friend, that guy would seem like a ****boi

Men have it a lot easier though because there are a lot of women who have worse claims but are still in the shadows because of insensitive comments like "she's a skank." This is just another incident that prevents other women from coming forward.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I never called her a skank and I'm not blaming anyone, just made a observation.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Men have it a lot easier though because there are a lot of women who have worse claims but are still in the shadows because of insensitive comments like "she's a skank." This is just another incident that prevents other women from coming forward.

She is a skank. A woman who sleeps with a lot of people, especially team mates on a baseball team is 100% a skank.

It doesn't mean that she shouldn't get compensation for catching unknown STDs from a person, but lets not pretend that she shouldn't be responsible for her actions. If women don't want to come forward because they feel shame because they slept around so hard, thats their issue. Maybe they should take responsibility for their own actions and not blame it on society.

I call it like I see it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
She isn't a skank because she got a STD from someone.

Shes a skank because she is sleeping with multiple members of the team and is clearly someone who is very promiscuous.

How do you know that EE wasnt given permission from his girlfriend to sleep around? Its quite common among powerful/rich men.

Its not victim bashing, its calling a spade a spade. IF this is true, she is definitely a "victim" in that she got STDs from someone who allegedly said he was clean, but it doesn't make it "bashing" to call her a skank. No one is saying that she shouldn't be compensated, but she 100% is a skank if shes sleeping around that much, especially with multiple members of the same team.

i was really trying not to get involved.
but if she's a skank for sleeping with multiple members of the team...
what does that make the people sleeping with her?

why is she promiscuous because she wants to have her sexual freedom (with whomever) but not a peep to the guys sleeping with her. (do you think that they are only sleeping with this one person?)

She is stupid to sleep with someone without having the person tested, or wrapping it up (WHOMEVER he is, EE or otter wise). If she's a skank for sleeping with multiple people, then the men on the team are just as scuzzy for all sleeping with the same person, and if they are sleeping with other people too.

Goose. Gander.

in regards to baseball, if i remember how this trade deadline works - if we get anyone here, can they play for the playoffs? Barney wasn't allowed, or was that because we got him in September?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Bolded question A: No. I believe the details of the story, willingly provided by the plaintiff, is enough for him to make his judgment. I believe, and he can correct me if he so chooses, his statement is both accurate and concise, though perhaps a bit crude, when one considers the facts of how the parties have arrived where they are.

Bolded question B: No one either implied or stated so.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009

why is she promiscuous because she wants to have her sexual freedom (with whomever) but not a peep to the guys sleeping with her. (do you think that they are only sleeping with this one person?)

She is stupid to sleep with someone without having the person tested, or wrapping it up (WHOMEVER he is, EE or otter wise). If she's a skank for sleeping with multiple people, then the men on the team are just as scuzzy for all sleeping with the same person, and if they are sleeping with other people too.

Goose. Gander.

in regards to baseball, if i remember how this trade deadline works - if we get anyone here, can they play for the playoffs? Barney wasn't allowed, or was that because we got him in September?

I agree 100%. The men are equally as sleezy for sleeping with the same girl, on the same team.

However, men and women are held to different standards due to gender roles. Men are encouraged to sleep with as many women as possible, and women are encouraged to be as selective as possible.

Its too much for a baseball/hockey forum to get into this discussion.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Goose. Gander.

********. Roulette playing ********.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad