Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pillar back, Tepera down.

Loup stays. Goins stays.

7 man bullpen. 4 man bench.

I'm interested to see who fills in the last spot in the starting lineup now that only Joey is out....

...smoak at 1B?
...carrera in LF?
...barney in LF?

and hey has anyone else noticed that carrera is back to replacement level bat with bad D to boot? pompey can be more useful on both sides of the ball imo.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Was thinking the same but it doesn't sound like he can play without the juice.

He wasn't hitting last year because of the juice. He was hitting because of the stupid, crazy, impossible, blessed-by-the-pope-and-gilded-horseshoes-up-his-butt amounts of luck.

He hit .411 on balls in play last year. The league average is generally in the .300ish area (and is in most cases not dependent on the skill of the batter as much as it is the general skill of defences faced and good ol' fashioned luck) and in the last 100 years of baseball there have only been 5 players who had 350+ PAs in a season and a higher BABIP. Difference was that they were among the greatest hitters in baseball history (Ruth, Cobb, Sisler, Hornsby, and Heilmann) and even for them it was a fluky spike that wasn't normal for their illustrious careers.

So for there to be any expectation of Colabello to be good this year, roids or no, he would've had to prove that he was a master of contact hitting and ball placement at a level that would be unprecedented in MLB history. Which I feel was a pretty safe bet to not be the case.

Revere hitting that dinger in NY. Fear him.

All about them #hitz.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well cola was an awesome AAA bat before so while last year was too good to last he still projected as a moderately above average bat in mlb i think.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's a shame this time. I saw some things I liked a lot from him. And in general I seem to have been higher on him than most. I think he could be a solid pen piece if he could get some MLB work in and refine his stuff.

I think he's shown the improvement needed to go along with his quality stuff. They need the lefty Loup more right now (and he's been utterly dominant in aaa) but i think the team trusts tepera as a good reliever at this point. but he's the guy with options.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Pillar back, Tepera down.

Loup stays. Goins stays.

7 man bullpen. 4 man bench.

I'm interested to see who fills in the last spot in the starting lineup now that only Joey is out....

...smoak at 1B?
...carrera in LF?
...barney in LF?

and hey has anyone else noticed that carrera is back to replacement level bat with bad D to boot? pompey can be more useful on both sides of the ball imo.

I've never been a huge fan of Carrera (I didn't even want him to make the team out of spring). But it appears his nice little hot streak is over, I'd rather have Burns or Pompey on the roster over him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think he's shown the improvement needed to go along with his quality stuff. They need the lefty Loup more right now (and he's been utterly dominant in aaa) but i think the team trusts tepera as a good reliever at this point. but he's the guy with options.

the funny thing is that without running right back to Fangraphs to check, I want to say that Tepera tends towards reverse splits that make him an effective option vs LHBs.

EDIT: I caved and checked.

Small sample size this season but:

vs LHB (19 batters faced): .067 Avg, .278 OBP (3 Ks, 3 BB, 1 HBP), .175 wOBA
vs RHB (25 batters faced): .348 avg, .400 OBP (4 Ks, 2 BB), .336 wOBA

His career #s aren't quite so drastically separated, but still bear out to a very solid .240 wOBA vs LHB compared to .322 vs RHB. I'd have to go find his minor league #s, but I would suspect they look somewhat similar in that regard.

It's a little odd though that he's doing it with an arsenal that's primarily 4-seam, cutter, and rarely slider. I'd expected to see more pitches with arm side break (according to Pitch F/X, this year he has apparently mostly abandoned his changeup, though he only ever threw it like 7% of the time at best.)

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the funny thing is that without running right back to Fangraphs to check, I want to say that Tepera tends towards reverse splits that make him an effective option vs LHBs.

EDIT: I caved and checked.

Small sample size this season but:

vs LHB (19 batters faced): .067 Avg, .278 OBP (3 Ks, 3 BB, 1 HBP), .175 wOBA
vs RHB (25 batters faced): .348 avg, .400 OBP (4 Ks, 2 BB), .336 wOBA

His career #s aren't quite so drastically separated, but still bear out to a very solid .240 wOBA vs LHB compared to .322 vs RHB. I'd have to go find his minor league #s, but I would suspect they look somewhat similar in that regard.

It's a little odd though that he's doing it with an arsenal that's primarily 4-seam, cutter, and rarely slider. I'd expected to see more pitches with arm side break (according to Pitch F/X, this year he has apparently mostly abandoned his changeup, though he only ever threw it like 7% of the time at best.)

iirc (don't want to check either) the mlb split comes with a big babip component, and that split doesn't show in the minors.

you never know - could be as simple as gibby not letting him face tough lefties, so his lefty split just comes against bad hitters.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

No Devon in the lineup....

August-20-2011-00-47-29-49560-2499d6-500-335.jpeg

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Can't wait to watch Trout and Pujols tonight! The current greatest player, and now with A-Rod retired, the greatest active career player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad