Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
iirc (don't want to check either) the mlb split comes with a big babip component, and that split doesn't show in the minors.

Yeah, I just looked that up. This year his BABIP vs lefties is <.100. It's there in his 2015 stats too, but less so.

I went and found his minors splits and he is marginally better vs RHBs than LHBs. So the major league reverse splits are probably just a small sample size quirk of randomness.

you never know - could be as simple as gibby not letting him face tough lefties, so his lefty split just comes against bad hitters.

True.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I have two thoughts.

First one being I would absolutely loved Wil Myers on the blue jays. Padres have stated anyone can be moved and whats so tempting about Myers is not only does he play 1st base, but he's a natural outfielder so when encarnacion needs to play 1st, he can slide into the outfield and wont miss at bats. He's young in age would be a great fit. Cost of acquisition would be pretty high but worth it imo. He also is familiar with the division playing with tampa before.

My second thought is about Yasiel Puig. Been shunned about character issues in LA but I strongly believe this is a buy low/sell high type of moment. LA is giving him up for free. At 25, he has 2 years left at 6.5mill and 7.5mill. With Baubtista's future unsure he could slip right in and if he can bounce back he can be a great player for us.

Thoughts?

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I have two thoughts.

First one being I would absolutely loved Wil Myers on the blue jays. Padres have stated anyone can be moved and whats so tempting about Myers is not only does he play 1st base, but he's a natural outfielder so when encarnacion needs to play 1st, he can slide into the outfield and wont miss at bats. He's young in age would be a great fit. Cost of acquisition would be pretty high but worth it imo. He also is familiar with the division playing with tampa before.

My second thought is about Yasiel Puig. Been shunned about character issues in LA but I strongly believe this is a buy low/sell high type of moment. LA is giving him up for free. At 25, he has 2 years left at 6.5mill and 7.5mill. With Baubtista's future unsure he could slip right in and if he can bounce back he can be a great player for us.

Thoughts?

The more I think about it, the more I really like trading for Votto as a replacement for JB/EE. Signed to a contract we know about, a strong reliable hitter for average, and plays a premium bat position.

I would still try to resign EE, but let JB/saunders go.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The more I think about it, the more I really like trading for Votto as a replacement for JB/EE. Signed to a contract we know about, a strong reliable hitter for average, and plays a premium bat position.

I am for Votto also. EE/JB will both be gone next season I imagine. EE will be in Boston and JB needs to come way down off his 30m a year demand

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I have two thoughts.

Thoughts?

Neither would clear waivers, so I imagine you mean the offseason. In that case, both would be good targets, however, the time to acquire Wil Myers was the past offseason not this one, as the price has undoubtedly doubled (and he has one less year of control).

As for Puig, its a good reclamation project, but I would avoid it in a locker room that would then conceivably be devoid of strong Hispanic leadership. Puig, on an island, in a room where the strongest personalities are Gibbons\Donaldson\Martin\Tulowitzki, would not function well.

Alas, though both are somewhat good ideas in a vacuum, the circumstances in the Fall of 2016 do not appear to suit the Blue Jays.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Your post has literally nothing to do with his\hers. :laugh:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Another point regarding Votto.

Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna, Travis and Pillar all make a combed ~$2.5 million this year and next. Its not going to stay that way forever. Go for a shorter term commitment.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I have two thoughts.

Thoughts?

Re: Puig. Word is the Dodgers are having a lot of trouble finding a trade partner (as they should be; when he's not playing well, the distraction becomes not worth it). Speculation is that his hamstrings may be contributing to his early decline, although you have to think he probably isn't the most dedicated to his craft. Jose Reyes bounced back from hamstring issues to have productive years.

In terms of a good landing spot, I keep hearing that he should go to a rebuilding squad that has little to lose. But I'm not sure that's sound logic. A rebuilding squad has malleable young players that could be poisoned by a strong personality like Puig. It may be better for him to go to an established squad with a strong room where he can be handled by the vets.

Now, that can't be any room, as the Dodgers haven't been able to manage him. Puig has to be willing to work at it, and the room has to be willing to be patient with him. At this point in the season, it's definitely not worth it. And certainly none of us have the insight to know if Puig or the Jays' locker room are the right place for this to happen next year.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Did everyone forget the locker room gongshows that came from 'buy low problem guys' like Escobar/Rasmus/Lawrie already?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Did everyone forget the locker room gongshows that came from 'buy low problem guys' like Escobar/Rasmus/Lawrie already?

I learned my lesson there for sure. Add Morrow in there too.

I loved when AA picked up those guys. Thought it was genius.

What value! What upside!

nope. nothing but heartbreak and frustration.

It made me very happy when he finally said screw it with the clever upside plays and just went out and paid the market price for true elite professional leaders like Martin and Tulo.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
my only issue is that how would we do this trade now? wouldn't a team like Boston just claim him on waivers, forcing the Reds to recall him off them, and essentially block the trade from happening?

Not sure if this was answered, but there's a chance Votto has already cleared waivers. I may be wrong (I'm sure somebody can explain), but I think a player can clear waivers at any point during the season.

In Votto's case, the Reds may have put him out there earlier in the season. Teams would shy away due to the contract. Any Votto deal would likely involve the Reds taking on some of his salary, putting in a waiver claim runs the risk of getting stuck with the entire amount.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
will they bring him back up?(collabello?)

Yes. At the end of the month the rosters expand to 40 men. The Triple A season pretty much comes to an end. There is no reason not to bring Collabello back to the majors. He won't play much, but he will be an extra bat off the bench if needed.

On the other hand, they could just release him.

But, if he's on the roster, he will come up.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I have two thoughts.

Thoughts?

Why would a re-building team like the Padres trade Myers?

He's having a break-out year in his age-25 season. I would think they would consider him an important part of the future.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Does Dickey pitch in the playoffs....assuming they make it?

At this point, I highly doubt it. Unless they put him in the bullpen and he pitches in a blow out game.

Barring an injury a playoff rotation would be:

Sanchez
Happ
Estrada
Stroman

Liriano would go to the bullpen. It's unlikely Dickey would make the roster. They would use his spot for an extra bench player. Similar to what they did with Buerhle last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
guys, the Votto thing is never going to happen. I wouldn't waste time thinking about it.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna, Travis and Pillar all make a combed ~$2.5 million this year and next. Its not going to stay that way forever. Go for a shorter term commitment.

Everybody forgets this when they fall in love with the latest shiny new toy.

A name your forgot is Donaldson. You have to think the Jays will make an attempt (possibly this winter) to get his name on an extension.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I am for Votto also. EE/JB will both be gone next season I imagine. EE will be in Boston and JB needs to come way down off his 30m a year demand

Don't be so sure of this. I was just looking it over. The Red Sox have $148 million in salary already committed to nine guys for next year. And they have a bunch young guys coming into their prime arbitration years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1urYwZOFAAvDhgtNZ86IJ8svhQUNEVoa3Y8Nf1TJb9dI/pub?output=html

I know they have to replace Ortiz, but I'm not convinced they won't look at internal options or buy-low kinds of guys.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

By the time those guys have to get paid, all of the current big money deals on the team will be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad