Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Don't be so sure of this. I was just looking it over. The Red Sox have $148 million in salary already committed to nine guys for next year. And they have a bunch young guys coming into their prime arbitration years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1urYwZOFAAvDhgtNZ86IJ8svhQUNEVoa3Y8Nf1TJb9dI/pub?output=html

I know they have to replace Ortiz, but I'm not convinced they won't look at internal options or buy-low kinds of guys.

I agree. Getting tired of the "Boston will pay ANYTHING" argument. He's a DH and they are paying Ortiz $16m. They arent going to making Edwin, as a DH, the highest paid batter in the league just because they need to replace Ortiz. Miguel Cabrera currently has this title at $28 million.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Don't be so sure of this. I was just looking it over. The Red Sox have $148 million in salary already committed to nine guys for next year. And they have a bunch young guys coming into their prime arbitration years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1urYwZOFAAvDhgtNZ86IJ8svhQUNEVoa3Y8Nf1TJb9dI/pub?output=html

I know they have to replace Ortiz, but I'm not convinced they won't look at internal options or buy-low kinds of guys.

Yep, The Sox are already a guaranteed luxury tax team next year.

And they have these guys for the 1B/DH slots.

H.Ramirez (33) $22m x 3yrs
P.Sandoval (30) $19m x 3yrs
T.Shaw (27): $0.5m (103wrc+ MLB)
S.Travis (23): $0.5m (120wrc+ AAA)

They probably have a greater need to spend their limited dollars on a catcher or on pitching.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I agree. Getting tired of the "Boston will pay ANYTHING" argument. He's a DH and they are paying Ortiz $16m. They arent going to making Edwin, as a DH, the highest paid batter in the league just because they need to replace Ortiz. Miguel Cabrera currently has this title at $28 million.

At some point the Red Sox are going to have to pay Boegarts, Betts, Bradley and others. And some of those deals (Price, Pedrioa, Porcello and Sandoval) are still going to be on the books.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
In contrast, the Jays have just over $107 million tied up in eight players ($250,000 pay out for Grilli) next year.

When you really look at the numbers, the Votto thing becomes moot (unless ownership makes a special financial commitment, which is always a possibility).

Assuming the payroll comes in around $145 million, that doesn't leave a lot of money left over for the rest of the roster (arbitration really isn't a concern for the Jays, their young guys aren't eligible yet and those who are eligible are Barney, Cola, Loup and Carerra).

Edit: Stroman is A1 eligible.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Quick question.

I know the 2017 schedule should come out sometime in September. Do you guys know if the tickets go on sale right away or not? I figure they will sell quick so I want to be prepared!

Mad Brills*

Don't forget, you only have 2 more years of donaldson before he's a free agent.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
When you really look at the numbers, the Votto thing becomes moot (unless ownership makes a special financial commitment, which is always a possibility)

That's an important point. At best, Votto is an massive longshot who's most likely just going to stay in Cincinnati. But the only way he even makes sense for the Jays is if ownership commits to increasing payroll going forward.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeah no thanks to Votto. We got bigger fish to fry... focus on keeping our core together.

I really hope EE is re-signed. He's an important piece. JB can walk away, won't hurt us too much - other than his bat, he's very replaceable.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Travis, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Tulowitzki, Martin, Pillar
Sanchez, Stroman, Estrada, Happ

Alford, Tellez, Urena, McGuire, Ramirez
SRF, Greene, Harris

We'll be fine moving forward with this core. Votto is not needed, neither is JB at $30M. Of course Bautista is always welcomed back if he decides to bring down his asking price and his term.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In contrast, the Jays have just over $107 million tied up in eight players ($250,000 pay out for Grilli) next year.

When you really look at the numbers, the Votto thing becomes moot (unless ownership makes a special financial commitment, which is always a possibility).

Assuming the payroll comes in around $145 million, that doesn't leave a lot of money left over for the rest of the roster (arbitration really isn't a concern for the Jays, their young guys aren't eligible yet and those who are eligible are Barney, Cola, Loup and Carerra).

Edit: Stroman is A1 eligible.

If the Jays lower payroll to $145m next year after leading the league in attendance, after seeing their TV ratings double, and after raising ticket prices, they suck.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If the Jays lower payroll to $145m next year after leading the league in attendance, after seeing their TV ratings double, and after raising ticket prices, they suck.

If they suck, will you still be posting about them or will you be going back to be a closet fan?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Quick question.

I know the 2017 schedule should come out sometime in September. Do you guys know if the tickets go on sale right away or not? I figure they will sell quick so I want to be prepared!

No

Season tickets are on sale now, flex packs will be shortly after the MLB season ends, single tickets at some point in February

Will be ludicrous if the payroll isn't at least $160M with the deferred revenue they're going to have this year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If they suck, will you still be posting about them or will you be going back to be a closet fan?

you should take it as a compliment that I abandoned other blue jays boards for this one.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No

Season tickets are on sale now, flex packs will be shortly after the MLB season ends, single tickets at some point in February

Will be ludicrous if the payroll isn't at least $160M with the deferred revenue they're going to have this year.

Well, with the tradeline additions I think we're pretty much at $160m already this year. So year, it would be ludicrous to be less than that - and should be more than that imo.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Why are fans who want to see ownership increase payroll classified as a) bad; b) non-understanding of how a corporation works like Rogers whose primary focus is to create shareholder value yadda yadda yadda; and/or c) a closet fan?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Only if for some reason Sanchez can't.

I'd imagine our playoff rotation is Estrada, Happ, Sanchez, Stroman. (That's alphabetical not any specific starting order)

Yeah I probably should have said out of the bullpen......
But I don't see a knuckler like him being effective if used in that way

Mad Brills*

Why are fans who want to see ownership increase payroll classified as a) bad; b) non-understanding of how a corporation works like Rogers whose primary focus is to create shareholder value yadda yadda yadda; and/or c) a closet fan?

It's hilarious seeing fans who think something is owed to them.

It's your own decision to spend your own disposable income on the team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's not about being owed anything.

it's about calling them out for what they are.

Mad Brills*

It's not about being owed anything.

it's about calling them out for what they are.

That's fair, but man I remember a guy calling into jays talk and crying that everything was owed to him since he went to 20 games a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad