Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly. I see a hypothetical discussion about Votto. I don't see anything that says: "Jays talking to Reds about Votto trade."

I read this.

TSN Radio 1050 Blue Jays Analyst Dirk Hayhurst gives his take on the Jays pursuit of Joey Votto.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
so in other words, there's nothing about a pursuit, just discussing why it wont happen

Including hilariously misinformed opinions on why the Jays don't have the prospects to make that kind of trade.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Not exactly up on all things baseball rules but, can we still acquire Votto after the deadline has passed? Or is this offseason discussion..

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
yes but, how can we, or any team, acquire a player after the trade deadline.

hasn't that passed already?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Hayhurst has become a pro troll unfortunately

A poor, poor man's Gregg Zaun (since Zaun actually knows what he's talking about)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He started mailing it in a few years back.

I don't pay attention to mainstream media all that much unless I have specific reason to read something, but it really hit me that he's lost it when he talked about Tulo's bat not arriving from Colorado yet when he was two months into looking like vintage Tulo. How can you get paid to watch and talk about the team and still be two months behind?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Joe Mauer would make more sense if you are upgrading at that position because then you can give big money to Edwin on shorter term rather then Votto. Or pay Bautista and Edwin vs only Votto.

Is this team better with a) Upton in RF, Edwin at 1B, Bautista at DH

Or

b) Bautista in RF - Mauer at 1B - Edwin at DH.

Even in scenario b) you have Bautista playing RF, which is not a favourable scenario.

There probably wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify the dollars, even if it is only 2 years for Mauer..

Reddick was the logical choice, but we just missed out apparently.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Joe Mauer would make more sense if you are upgrading at that position because then you can give big money to Edwin on shorter term rather then Votto. Or pay Bautista and Edwin vs only Votto.

Is this team better with a) Upton in RF, Edwin at 1B, Bautista at DH

Or

b) Bautista in RF - Mauer at 1B - Edwin at DH.

Even in scenario b) you have Bautista playing RF, which is not a favourable scenario.

There probably wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify the dollars, even if it is only 2 years for Mauer..

Reddick was the logical choice, but we just missed out apparently.

I'll take the defensive upgrade in option A, especially now that Upton is back to doing what we should have expected him to do offensively after a slow start.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Travis out again

43927063.jpg

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't pay attention to mainstream media all that much unless I have specific reason to read something, but it really hit me that he's lost it when he talked about Tulo's bat not arriving from Colorado yet when he was two months into looking like vintage Tulo. How can you get paid to watch and talk about the team and still be two months behind?

I think he's become busy with his other commitments. Its become quite evident that he doesn't watch the Blue Jays on a week to week basis. He never really knew a thing about the farm system.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
yes but, how can we, or any team, acquire a player after the trade deadline.

hasn't that passed already?

The deadline that passed already was the non-waiver trade deadline.

Any trade now requires the players involved to pass through waivers unclaimed before the trade can be finalized. So generally you don't see significant moves happen now unless there's some big mitigating factor that would prevent other teams from wanting to acquire the player involved on waivers. Like, say, a cripplingly gigantic contract. Otherwise the deals you do see are small things like trades for bench pieces or pen arms that other teams aren't going to waste waiver priority on (or who will take some sort of payoff not to put in a claim)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why are fans who want to see ownership increase payroll classified as a) bad; b) non-understanding of how a corporation works like Rogers whose primary focus is to create shareholder value yadda yadda yadda; and/or c) a closet fan?

Zeke mentioned earlier this season that he had been a Jays Fan for years but was embarrassed to admit it before they became competitive or something to that effect. That is what I was referring to -- nothing to do with a generalization of a group of fans.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
question: The end of August trade deadline is the waiver deadline to which you can still make trades afterwards but the players are not eligible for the playoffs. Is the end of July trade deadline similar in the sense that you can make trades without waivers during August but those players aren't eligible for the playoffs?

What is mean is like the end of August is the deadline for waiver trades to be made and be eligible for the playoffs but trades can stil be made afterward, is the end of July deadline similar in that it's the non waiver deadline for playoff eligibility but can non waiver trades happen afterwards and just not be eligible for the playoffs?

Basically can you make a non waiver trade in August and just not be eligible the playoffs

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
IF the Reds eat, like 65% of the cash, I'd take Votto. If not, then no...

actually, who am I kidding? Rogers can print money, they're making so much. Get Votto now.. like, at whatever cost. Rogers can afford it.

Votto. Tomorrow. Do it, Rogers. You have one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad