Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like Chris Tillman is going to the DL. Anybody think Baltimore is going to fade out of this race? I don't see how their starting pitching can stand up.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
That's fair, but man I remember a guy calling into jays talk and crying that everything was owed to him since he went to 20 games a year.

The greatest was when the people who had the $95 pass last year complained they weren't guaranteed playoff tickets.

Sounds like Chris Tillman is going to the DL. Anybody think Baltimore is going to fade out of this race? I don't see how their starting pitching can stand up.

They have a killer schedule the rest of the way...but if they can hold serve against us next week they should be OK until the middle of September.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The greatest was when the people who had the $95 pass last year complained they weren't guaranteed playoff tickets.

I don't live close enough to Toronto to consider getting something like that, but I'm curious how it works.

What would you get for a $95 pass?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I don't live close enough to Toronto to consider getting something like that, but I'm curious how it works.

What would you get for a $95 pass?

It was a 500 level ticket for every game except for the opener. Some people did not read the fine print when they bought it where it said it was in no way a true season ticket and provided absolutely zero postseason access.

Needless to say, it ceased to exist this year (*pours out liquor*).

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I expected they would have dropped out already, so I'm impressed they've stuck around this long. Even with Tillman they regularly have a couple replacement-level scrubs trying to eat up innings; now they get to plug in another.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It was a 500 level ticket for every game except for the opener. Some people did not read the fine print when they bought it where it said it was in no way a true season ticket and provided absolutely zero postseason access.

Needless to say, it ceased to exist this year.

Is there anything similar now?

Sounds like a good deal.

I've pretty much given up on going to games in person this year. I'm going for all three this weekend, but we have a stadium-view room in the hotel and will watch the games from up there.

I took my mother, her husband and my daughter to a game earlier this year and it was more than $200 for four seats in the 500 level. Last year on the day of the Price trade I bought three tickets in the 100s, about 20 rows up and it was less than that.

It's amazing how winning spiked the demand for tickets so dramatically.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Needless to say, it ceased to exist this year (*pours out liquor*).

And I think even the most ardent anti-Rogers fans can understand them canning it, especially with the way fans have turned out this year. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Is there anything similar now?

Sounds like a good deal.

I've pretty much given up on going to games in person this year. I'm going for all three this weekend, but we have a stadium-view room in the hotel and will watch the games from up there.

I took my mother, her husband and my daughter to a game earlier this year and it was more than $200 for four seats in the 500 level. Last year on the day of the Price trade I bought three tickets in the 100s, about 20 rows up and it was less than that.

It's amazing how winning spiked the demand for tickets so dramatically.

I wish.

That was, bar none, the best deal in North American professional sports. I had it from 2004-2015 which means I basically paid $2400 total for a pair of season tickets for 12 years. You can't find a single pair of season tickets next year for $2400.

The dynamic pricing has crushed everything in terms of buying single games for the rest of this year. The one thing that will happen next year (similar to this year) is that everyone buys 500L seasons and then no one actually wants to go to early season games so there will be a plethora of $6 USD tickets floating around Stubhub.

Flex packs aren't a terrible deal, but the rumour I've heard is that they will be 'tiered' next year, so instead of just picking 15 games or whatever that you want you will be forced to pick a mix of attractive and un-attractive (read: midweek out of division) games. Which if anything will just dilute the secondary market even more.

And I think even the most ardent anti-Rogers fans can understand them canning it, especially with the way fans have turned out this year. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Stephen Brooks is my boy, but the amount of money he left on the table over the past five years or so is staggering. I can't say I exactly complained considering I benefited from it, but since its levelled off now I am actually rather happy Shapiro is moving the ticketing system into the 21st century. If the Jays go to tiered flex packs the amount of deferred revenue they will have this year will be absolutely mammoth.

Last edited:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I wish.

That was, bar none, the best deal in North American professional sports. I had it from 2004-2015 which means I basically paid $2400 total for a pair of season tickets for 12 years. You can't find a single pair of season tickets next year for $2400.

The dynamic pricing has crushed everything in terms of buying single games for the rest of this year. The one thing that will happen next year (similar to this year) is that everyone buys 500L seasons and then no one actually wants to go to early season games so there will be a plethora of $6 USD tickets floating around Stubhub.

Flex packs aren't a terrible deal, but the rumour I've heard is that they will be 'tiered' next year, so instead of just picking 15 games or whatever that you want you will be forced to pick a mix of attractive and un-attractive (read: midweek out of division) games. Which if anything will just dilute the secondary market even more.

What has the dynamic pricing done? I mean, how does it work? Even last year, I could find great deals on Stub Hub (less so later in the season after the trades and the streaks). But now, I find the prices are wild.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Any truth to the Joey Votto rumours? Do we have the assets to get him and will he waive to come here? His contract is an albatross, and we're jammed at 1st, but he would be perfect for our anemic left-side.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What has the dynamic pricing done? I mean, how does it work? Even last year, I could find great deals on Stub Hub (less so later in the season after the trades and the streaks). But now, I find the prices are wild.

Well as an example, the 100s are probably halved in value during this Jays/Angels series compared to the weekend one against the Astros.

Any truth to the Joey Votto rumours? Do we have the assets to get him and will he waive to come here? His contract is an albatross, and we're jammed at 1st, but he would be perfect for our anemic left-side.

There's really no rumours, it's more like people saying "well, Jays need a lefty bat, what about this guy from Toronto that's owed a lot and is not on a contending team?".

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I don't think there are any rumours at all to speak of.

It has been more a general discussion.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

I will say I find the prices now to be rather comparable to last summer, and I found the April-June prices this year to be rather comparable to the April-June prices last spring. People want to be seen at 'it' events for their Instagram and Snapchat pictures and the Jays are the 'it' team in the city now so the market is nuts (the Raptors were that 'it' team until late May so the Jays were still affordable). If the Jays go 81-81 (or the Leafs become good) that all goes away and it all becomes affordable again.

Dynamic pricing can be seen here. Basically, since almost everything is sold out at this point all its done is massively increased the floor for 500L tickets. The 'base' price for 500L is $16, and almost everything is above $30.

But to show how much money they left on the table this year, I'll use the September 10 game as an example. I bought into a flex pack with a friend from Rogers (50% discount) in the 'Field Level Bases' section. The tickets cost me $25. The face value on them says $49 (base price). The 'dynamic' value per above: $93. So the team basically lost 73% of the ticket value. Flex packs in the 500L were $16 per ticket...once again losing almost 50% on every ticket sold.

That is unheard of. The general rule of thumb as a team is that in the absolute worst case scenario you lose 50% or so on season tickets and 25% on gamepacks/flex packs compared to single game pricing. The Jays missed the boat on that rather dramatically this year, but they won't next year. And that's a lot of why I will be extremely upset if there isn't a payroll bump next year...there will be way more revenue next year, and a lot of it will be paid up front.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

According to TSN, the Jays are in pursuit.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
According to TSN, the Jays are in pursuit.

Is there a link?

MLB trade rumours doesn't have anything, other than a story about Griffin's column that states AA talked to the Reds about Votto last summer, before moving on to the Tulo deal. The story said there is no indication anything is happening between the two teams right now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is there a link?

MLB trade rumours doesn't have anything, other than a story about Griffin's column that states AA talked to the Reds about Votto last summer, before moving on to the Tulo deal. The story said there is no indication anything is happening between the two teams right now.

www.tsn.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad