Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
I dunno, I'm not much of a Hip fan either, but the Tragically Hip have basically been facilitating every rock station meeting their CRTC commitment for Canadian content for like...20 years.

I find his voice grating and I don't care much for those that call Gord Downie one of the greatest Canadian song writers of all time (not sure if this is a widely held opinion or just held within the group of individuals that I hang around).

However...the impact that the Hip have had on Canada is undeniable, his story is tragic (not only his own story, but also his wife...and as a result, his kids), and people are passionate about their music. Watching some of that last live show on CBC gave me shivers.

Again, it's a band that I don't particularly like, but I feel as though his is a story that should be told, and it is completely understandable that Canadians would want to talk about the Hip and Gord, he's probably touched the lives of more than a few Canadians in his career.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I was away with family all day and am just getting caught up on what's happening.

Can somebody clearly explain the Sanchez decision?

He's being sent down for 10 days to miss one start and that's the solution to his innings issue?

Missing one start???

According to Davidi's story about the issue, Sanchez would have five starts left after he returns (depending on what happens with six-man rotation). If he averages six innings a start that puts him at 186.

Is there really that much of a difference between 186 and 192?

To me, this feels like they're doing something for the sake of appearances. Or am I missing a component to all of this?

When I see this move I wonder: would it not have been easier to continue with the current situation into Sept., have the rosters expand and then let Sanchez skip two starts at the beginning of the month? He gets to stay in Toronto, with the major league staff, his innings are reduced and the team has no roster issues because of the extra bodies.

He's likely to skip more starts down the stretch..

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
okay, some C-list band is retiring, big whoop, maybe talk about it on Q107 or something :shrug:

The CBC's broadcast and livestreaming of The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration concert reached 11.7 million people on Saturday night, according to preliminary audience figures.

"C-list."

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
He's likely to skip more starts down the stretch..

Inning counting is sort of useless to me.

What if he only needs 3 pitches an inning or what if he needs 40. It is pitch count that should be tracked or limited not innings.

And even in the end that might not even matter.

He could pitch well over 200 innings and nothing happen.
He could pitch one game from the pen and bam hes gone or the year.

As long as he feels fine and is not tired let him go.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Sanchez will be back game 3 against baltimore, would prefer him against them than the Twins, who are really bad.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Inning counting is sort of useless to me.

What if he only needs 3 pitches an inning or what if he needs 40. It is pitch count that should be tracked or limited not innings.

And even in the end that might not even matter.

He could pitch well over 200 innings and nothing happen.
He could pitch one game from the pen and bam hes gone or the year.

As long as he feels fine and is not tired let him go.

This is the part I don't get. Everyone is hung up on IP but what about pitches per inning? Shouldn't that have bairing as well? If you have guys on you also have more stressful innings, trying to throw harder etc. Which is why I think Sanchez isn't in as much harm as most think because he's been so good.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You don't think? I'm not sure exactly how it works. If he is paid by what it says, he would get 900 dollars.

Man they don't make much money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team agreed to pay him his major league salary during his time in the minors, if nothing else to avoid an angry union.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I bet he actually won't lose a penny

Agreed. I bet he makes up that money next year. When a player is pre-arb the team sets what they make. Often it is the same they made last year (the minimum) with a few dollars added ($5,000 - $20,000) at the team's discretion.

I bet whatever he loses this year he will make it up next year

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
You don't think? I'm not sure exactly how it works. If he is paid by what it says, he would get 900 dollars.

Man they don't make much money.

I believe there was a segment with McCown a few weeks ago talking about this, they really arent paid anything in the minors unless you're a top tier prospect making it up in signing bonuses

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Fortunately Stroman is looking good again. We need all 4 of our starters to play up to their potential to contend.

Estrada - Sanchez - Stroman - Happ

With the offense that we have = deadly

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Please put Tulo ahead of Martin in the batting order FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Martin's been pretty good, but so has Tulo. And Tulo has also, you know, been the better hitter for HIS ENTIRE CAREER. He's been an elite hitter for MANY years. Martin has NOT. Tulo absolutely should be ahead of Martin, end of story. But Gibby is gonna Gibby. Amazing how the team is still in first in spite of Gibbons, really. Impresses me with just how talented this team is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad