OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I had a harrowing night......woke up at 2:45 am, felt something on my collar bone, reached up and felt something in my fingers, screamed, pulled it off and threw whatever it was across the room. Hubby was bewildered, put the lights on, couldn't find anything on the floor. You know that smell that earwigs make when you squish them? That smell was on my hand.

Barely slept and gave up at 4:45 am - I kept thinking there were more. Ugh....!! The earwigs are so bad this year, I find them inside the house much more than usual. We can't open our sliding door because they are packed into the grooves and fall down on you. Gross gross gross!! Stupid winter needs to be stronger to kill off some of this stuff like it used to. I found a full grown one in April and knew it was going to be bad.

I'm tired....

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I had a harrowing night......woke up at 2:45 am, felt something on my collar bone, reached up and felt something in my fingers, screamed, pulled it off and threw whatever it was across the room. Hubby was bewildered, put the lights on, couldn't find anything on the floor. You know that smell that earwigs make when you squish them? That smell was on my hand.

Barely slept and gave up at 4:45 am - I kept thinking there were more. Ugh....!! The earwigs are so bad this year, I find them inside the house much more than usual. We can't open our sliding door because they are packed into the grooves and fall down on you. Gross gross gross!! Stupid winter needs to be stronger to kill off some of this stuff like it used to. I found a full grown one in April and knew it was going to be bad.

I'm tired....

We are having a big issue with them too. I shook one out of the shirt I was wearing the other day. Then - as I exited the bath - I looked down to see two, and a freaking spider to boot, swimming in the water I was just in. Doubled up on therapy.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I've had my fair share of insects in my apartment and I have been spraying raid around my front door every week. I definitely think it has helped especially with my peace of mind.

I need to buy those mosquito patches because they attack me the second I go outside. I am getting massive welts when I get bit and the only thing that helps the itch is rubbing alcohol.

Reactions: caz16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I've had my fair share of insects in my apartment and I have been spraying raid around my front door every week. I definitely think it has helped especially with my peace of mind.

I need to buy those mosquito patches because they attack me the second I go outside. I am getting massive welts when I get bit and the only thing that helps the itch is rubbing alcohol.

I have one of these and Ill be damned they work. Bugs will buzz me but jot land.

Just Google ‘No Fly Zone’ apparel.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I'm tired....
Just spent a weekend at KOA Middleboro. Kids and my mother had the nice big cabin with the bathroom and the fridge and whatnot. The lady and I stayed down the path just a tad in a much smaller cabin with less comforts. We made the mistake of leaving a light on the first evening, went over to a fire at dinner, hung out a while, and then when we returned and opened our door all of the bugs in Middleboro crammed into the cabin. At one point the first night I felt a bug on my face, slapped it away and shined a light on my bed to find no less than 6 earwigs on it, including 2 on the pillow.

I then hatched a grand plan. Plugged my phone into the wall, turned the flashlight on full blast, and left it in the opposite corner. Bugs love light. They likely attacked my phone all night, but never bothered me after that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
So, The PCB to fix my AC arrived.

The guy came today and hooked it all up BUT apparently the transformer was bad, and it blew the new PCB....SO I have to wait another 2 weeks for the part...again.

f*** the f***ing heat

Why the hell don't the repair people carry parts that are most likely to be damaged/destroyed? I get that companies don't want to tie up money in overhead but this is just beyond stupid. Yet companies wonder why people don't give them high marks for customer service. Well, this is why. :rant: :madfire:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Why the hell don't the repair people carry parts that are most likely to be damaged/destroyed? I get that companies don't want to tie up money in overhead but this is just beyond stupid. Yet companies wonder why people don't give them high marks for customer service. Well, this is why. :rant: :madfire:
Unit is 10 years old.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
So, The PCB to fix my AC arrived.

The guy came today and hooked it all up BUT apparently the transformer was bad, and it blew the new PCB....SO I have to wait another 2 weeks for the part...again.

f*** the f***ing heat
I am so, so sorry. I can deal with 20 below with wind chills, cannot handle this heat. Me and the husky have been laying in front of the AC with fans on us the past two weeks.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Thanks. Ten years ago, I had no AC.

The climate has defiantly changed.

I remember when I was a kid (MANY years ago) we would have a few hot humid days in August. Mom would call them the dog days of August.

Now most of the Summer is gross.
Growing up in Michigan we certainly had some awful humid summer days. More than just a couple in August.

Yes, ladies and germs, climate disruption is a thing.

Nearly every evening, if not every evening, the PBS NewsHour features weather related reports that look like something out of a Hollywood disaster flick.

I'm 60. I'm glad I won't be around if, or when, the situation worsens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Because it's not feasible financially or storage wise to expect a small company to have multiples of every part of every AC from every manufacturer on hand

Reactions: Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Because it's not feasible financially or storage wise to expect a small company to have multiples of every part of every AC from every manufacturer on hand
Yep, my mother and her fiance own/operate an appliance repair business out of their home. Their 1 car garage has become a dumping ground of misc parts. For a while they had a younger guy helping them on service calls, and he wasn't a very good tech so he called in a lot of parts that weren't necessary. They keep some smaller items in the work van, but almost everything else is either picked up at a supply house or ordered direct from the manufacturer.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Yep, my mother and her fiance own/operate an appliance repair business out of their home. Their 1 car garage has become a dumping ground of misc parts. For a while they had a younger guy helping them on service calls, and he wasn't a very good tech so he called in a lot of parts that weren't necessary. They keep some smaller items in the work van, but almost everything else is either picked up at a supply house or ordered direct from the manufacturer.
Yea manufacture specific parts are not the same as copper fittings or a junction box.

Side rant: Why is the coupling you thread the water line into a dishwasher plastic? Of all the things to make plastic, its the one that can flood your kitchen. Mine goes from plastic then back to a metal fitting FFS. I cross threaded it twice than called a service tech to get it right.

Reactions: GordonHowe

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yea manufacture specific parts are not the same as copper fittings or a junction box.

Side rant: Why is the coupling you thread the water line into a dishwasher plastic? Of all the things to make plastic, its the one that can flood your kitchen. Mine goes from plastic then back to a metal fitting FFS. I cross threaded it twice than called a service tech to get it right.
The cheapest little bits and pieces. Appliances are a joke these days. Luckily I never had to replace the fill line, or any of the couplings in it, but I did have to replace a drain hose because f***ing mice ate through one. That was just a cheap thin plastic hose, but an insanely thick rubber elbow connected to, you guessed it, a plastic inlet on the machine.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Growing up in Michigan we certainly had some awful humid summer days. More than just a couple in August.

Yes, ladies and germs, climate disruption is a real thing.

Nearly every evening, if not every evening, the NewsHour features weather related reports that look like something out of a Hollywood disaster flick.

I'm 60. I'm glad I won't be around if, or when, the situation worsens.
Story in the Globe yesterday about how they expect Boston to become a Washington or Memphis climate pretty soon. I have been to Washington in August, we walked around and saw the monuments from 7am to 930amish and spent the rest of the day in the Air and Space museum. It was horribly hot and humid. This was the late 80's, they gave you little heat index cards to figure out the real temp and when to go inside. There should have been an additional column for pale Irish heritage people.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
The cheapest little bits and pieces. Appliances are a joke these days. Luckily I never had to replace the fill line, or any of the couplings in it, but I did have to replace a drain hose because f***ing mice ate through one. That was just a cheap thin plastic hose, but an insanely thick rubber elbow connected to, you guessed it, a plastic inlet on the machine.
But they give you a flimsy metal clamp to attach it!

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Story in the Globe yesterday about how they expect Boston to become a Washington or Memphis climate pretty soon. I have been to Washington in August, we walked around and saw the monuments from 7am to 930amish and spent the rest of the day in the Air and Space museum. It was horribly hot and humid. This was the late 80's, they gave you little heat index cards to figure out the real temp and when to go inside. There should have been an additional column for pale Irish heritage people.
I do virtually all of my outdoor work at my house before 8:30am or after 6pm. Just too hot, otherwise. This last week, I’ve needed to completely change clothes after an hour of yard work, then go out and work another hour.

I do love that my vegetables can still get harvested much later in the year, but the reason why is really depressing.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I do virtually all of my outdoor work at my house before 8:30am or after 6pm. Just too hot, otherwise. This last week, I’ve needed to completely change clothes after an hour of yard work, then go out and work another hour.

I do love that my vegetables can still get harvested much later in the year, but the reason why is really depressing.
It's gross. My kids played hard Friday and Saturday, all day. Then Sunday they swam a bit and we got back home from the campground around lunch. They crashed hard from lunch to bed time, and my better half (god love 'er) was upset that "we wasted a beautiful Sunday."

I tried telling her that it felt like the warmth of 1,000 suns outside, and that her definition of "beautiful" is vastly different from the rest of the civilized world. She wasn't having it.

it reminded me of the Super mario 3 meme with the angry sun that tries to kill Mario. That's exactly what it has felt like recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad