Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
View attachment 902759

for

View attachment 902760

#14 overall in 2023 entry draft traded for #14 overall in the 2022 entry draft.

FYI. Dubas traded away Leafs 1st in 2022 to dump Mrazek and 2023 for rental ROR so Toronto didn't have a 1st round drafted prospect to make this trade,
Personally. I’m taking McGroaty here, but Jets came out looking really good.

In saying that - if I had scouted and drafted Yager, I’m unlikely to make a side shuffle like trade.

I’d say , all considered - the jets won here. Big time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Stop worshipping the fallen god?

Don't buy his sweater?

Don't buy your 5 year old marner mouse skates?

Appreciate his last season with the team?

Cheer for the team regardless of players?
Sure they could do that, seems like some odd choices though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Personally. I’m taking McGroaty here, but Jets came out looking really good.

In saying that - if I had scouted and drafted Yager, I’m unlikely to make a side shuffle like trade.

I’d say , all considered - the jets won here. Big time.

It was a tough situation but Chevy did well, ditto with the Dubois trade last year.

Reactions: Buds17

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So any other of his teammates bail from Michigan?
Wasn't much left for him to play with there.

How about TJ Hughes, undrafted ... no offers?
Leafs probably scouted him while watching Moldenhauer.
The Vancouver prospect who didn't sign as well.

Has he found a team yet?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Overpaying underperforming divas, happily continuing with the status quo with a roster than can’t get it done in the playoffs……..

I see, and you would have done what? I mean other than complain and calling players "divas".

You wanted him to let Matthews, Nylander and, soon Marner walk for nothing? How would have spent the $25M this off-season if we let them walk? Specifically?

As for Marner and Tavares. He took the C from Tavares and he hasn't extended ed Marner. Let me guess, you will say "he will, just watch". So, now we are upset about things that haven't happened?

New coach, new captain, new D, new G, and room for young guys to break into the lineup. I don't actually know what more he could have done.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ask and thou shalt receive.

I wanted McGroarty, but as Mess has so efficiently shown, Dubas didn’t leave us in a position to make a play for him.

Contrary to the Dubasite sheeple, Dubas doesn’t live rent free in our heads. He’s someone else’s problem now.

Glad he’s gone but I cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Careful you’ll hurt your arm with that kind of reach.

The Leafs haven’t had a pick close to #14 since Amirov (RIP)… they also had a 1st rounder in 2023 (28th and took Cowan). But really it’s a reach to assume Winnipeg would have take a lesser prospect taken in the 20’s (from 2022) and a mid round pick to get him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

The Leafs haven’t had a pick close to #14 since Amirov (RIP)… they also had a 1st rounder in 2023 (28th and took Cowan). But really it’s a reach to assume Winnipeg would have take a lesser prospect taken in the 20’s (from 2022) and a mid round pick to get him.

I would think part of it is that the Jets really don't need anyone needing/wanting ice time right now. Look at their line-up.

Pushing it off another year is probably a benefit.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I would think part of it is that the Jets really don't need anyone needing/wanting ice time right now. Look at their line-up.

Pushing it off another year is probably a benefit.
Biggest problem with Winnipeg is attracting talent and retaining it for years. They either have to constantly develop good prospects, or make a trade for someone with term on their contract as almost no one signs there in FA.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Biggest problem with Winnipeg is attracting talent and retaining it for years. They either have to constantly develop good prospects, or make a trade for someone with term on their contract as almost no one signs there in FA.

If I were a good NHL player, there are locations that I wouldn't willingly sign for.

Winnipeg would be one, but then so would NY, LA, DC, NJ, LI, Philadelphia, Pitts ... okay ... I'd have to be a really good NHLer to be that picky ... so I'll stick with Winnipeg, LA and NY.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I see, and you would have done what? I mean other than complain and calling players "divas".

You wanted him to let Matthews, Nylander and, soon Marner walk for nothing? How would have spent the $25M this off-season if we let them walk? Specifically?

As for Marner and Tavares. He took the C from Tavares and he hasn't extended ed Marner. Let me guess, you will say "he will, just watch". So, now we are upset about things that haven't happened?

New coach, new captain, new D, new G, and room for young guys to break into the lineup. I don't actually know what more he could have done.
How sbout we revisit this after another playoff failure or are you delusional enough to think a parade is in order?

You mean, which they haven't done....................?
True that, but Tre won’t let him walk even if it’s the right thing to do, Marner’s going to fleece Tre just like he did Boy Wonder……..

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How sbout we revisit this after another playoff failure or are you delusional enough to think a parade is in order?

Yeah, yeah, yeah...go back to 1967 if you want to. I responded to someone who said the new guys (Treliving) was just like the old guy (Dubas).

What specifically should Treliving have done differently over the past 15 months?

If you don't have an answer then you are just a complainer for the sake of complaining.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, yeah, yeah...go back to 1967 if you want to. I responded to someone who said the new guys (Treliving) was just like the old guy (Dubas).

What specifically should Treliving have done differently over the past 15 months?

If you don't have an answer then you are just a complainer for the sake of complaining.
Well he could have traded 88 snd 16 before their nmc’s kicked in, although that was a short window, could have pushed for more term on 34’s deal, could have not signed Reeves/Klingberg/Kampf to thier respective deals, could have fixed the G position instead of running with nothing between the pipes that aren’t huge question marks. Is that enough?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Well he could have traded 88 snd 16 before their nmc’s kicked in, although that was a short window, could have pushed for more term on 34’s deal, could have not signed Reeves/Klingberg/Kampf to thier respective deals, could have fixed the G position instead of running with nothing between the pipes that aren’t huge question marks. Is that enough?
Okay, I'm game; how do you fix the goaltending with what was available last year and this year without MASSIVELY ripping yourself off in the process?
Ullmark? Refused to waive for us.
Markstrom? Just as bad as what we've had, and they were outbid.
Saros? Never available.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I'm so exhausted from hearing that nobody is available and trades are too hard and the most expensive front office in the NHL isn't capable of making 1 change of significance in 10 years.

31 other teams and not one deal is available. Nothing can be done other than resigning the same 5 players who reward us with nothing but heartbreak.

Stamkos puts up nothing but numbers but committed the crime of turning 34 and Sergy wasn't showing excellence so the team changed it up.

Florida came 1st and blew up the team because they lost too early then won a cup

This sorry lot has broke my heart enough. I'd take anything other than this continued outcome with the same faces

Reactions: LeafSteel

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He was on the job for about 48 hours before those NMCs kicked in and the guy that hired him said they weren't being moved.

Reaves/Klingberg/Kampf deals aren't why we didn't win a couple last year. He didn't sign Samsonov to term.

The guy came in at the worst time last year. I vowed to assess him on this off-season. I am not sure I am a fan, but I don't see a lot hia decisions as bad ones if his first full off-season.

Reactions: BayStBullies

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

It would cost us Cowan to get RM.

Cowan and Yager are interchangable and maybe 10% worse projected potential than RM.

Leafs didnt want to make that deal/Jets maybe didnt want an Eastern Canada kid compared to Western Canada due to their market issues.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
31 other teams and not one deal is available. Nothing can be done other than resigning the same 5 players who reward us with nothing but heartbreak.

Stamkos puts up nothing but numbers but committed the crime of turning 34 and Sergy wasn't showing excellence so the team changed it up.

Stamkos was UFA and wanted more than they were willing to offer.
Tampa didn't move on from him, he moved on from them.
It would cost us Cowan to get RM.

Cowan and Yager are interchangable and maybe 10% worse projected potential than RM.

Leafs didnt want to make that deal/Jets maybe didnt want an Eastern Canada kid compared to Western Canada due to their market issues.

Toronto is in Canada.
Winnipeg is in Canada.
Pittsburgh is in the home country.

You just never know, maybe it is all about playing at "home" for McGroarty who came up through the US system.

He wouldn't give a reason, but maybe ...

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Just having some fun with the Dubas fanbois, to be honest.

Just put that out there because, well, you know…. reverse trigger manoeuvre…..

:)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Okay, I'm game; how do you fix the goaltending with what was available last year and this year without MASSIVELY ripping yourself off in the process?
Ullmark? Refused to waive for us.
Markstrom? Just as bad as what we've had, and they were outbid.
Saros? Never available.
Askarov…….

He was on the job for about 48 hours before those NMCs kicked in and the guy that hired him said they weren't being moved.

Reaves/Klingberg/Kampf deals aren't why we didn't win a couple last year. He didn't sign Samsonov to term.

The guy came in at the worst time last year. I vowed to assess him on this off-season. I am not sure I am a fan, but I don't see a lot hia decisions as bad ones if his first full off-season.
Give him time, he’s going to prove your trust was a mistake………

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Askarov…….

Give him time, he’s going to prove your trust was a mistake………

There we go. You are complaining about things that haven't happened yet. That's pretty negative, no?

You are not basing it on anything just wanting to negative. When I recapped what he has done this off-season you didn't have one specific move you found fault with.

When a move is made that you don't like, feel free to let us know about it. Being upset about what you think will likely happen is not really adding anything to the discussion around here.

...again, I am not even a Treliving supporter, but I am happy with this off-season and am prepared to see how it all plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad