Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Most impressive.

456158772_122151699860049850_3202774577809146308_n.jpg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Of course Gord Miller - a soft, woke Trudeau supporter spins the haircutting into racism. Lou has been this for years to everyone. Even Cam Janssen chimed in and said he had to do it.
Are we really going to bring politics (of which you condemn Miller for doing himself) into this thread?

Hair styles have a much deeper meaning in black cultures for some, as it shows ties to their heritage and identity. It might be useful to educate yourself on why this is a big deal.

Just because "he's always done it this way" doesn't mean it's right. And just because white people are okay with it doesn't mean there's not an insensitivity to another culture. I won't call it racist, as I don't know Lamoriello's root belief in the decision to begin with, but the continued insistence despite growing knowledge about other cultures is not a good look.

It's incredible that learning more about other cultures and ethnicities keeps getting called "woke" and treated like a bad thing.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think it's stupid, but he knew the policy when he signed the contract. Of course the media is going to pounce on this and push their typical BS agenda like they always do. There are many many companies around the country that have policies that dictate how employees appear. Again, I don't agree and think for the most part these are outdated, but business owners have that right. This is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Brent Burns would have had to do the same thing, but the media wouldn't have given two shits.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I think it's stupid, but he knew the policy when he signed the contract. Of course the media is going to pounce on this and push their typical BS agenda like they always do. There are many many companies around the country that have policies that dictate how employees appear. Again, I don't agree and think for the most part these are outdated, but business owners have that right. This is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Brent Burns would have had to do the same thing, but the media wouldn't have given two shits.
yeah, he was offered 14 million reasons to abide by the contract for a few years, i'm sure he and his agent knew going in. it's contract work. i think i said it in the main board thread too, for $14M lou can cut my damn hair himself.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Didnt the military do the whole haircut thing too? (based on my vast military experience watching full metal jacket)
Aside from the practical reasons (in the military) I can kind of also understand the logic of limiting the indivuality and showing the team buy in.

Reactions: yankeeking

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Didnt the military do the whole haircut thing too? (based on my vast military experience watching full metal jacket)
The military part is threefold/complicated

The original reason was so it was harder for one to decapitated from the beard or long hair being grabbed.

Most of those standards were relaxed when combat became more ranged and were at their lowest in the civil war. Certain armies like the redcoats kept the grooming standards for discipline and uniformity.
1724443468218.png

The grooming standards returned (and stayed)in WW1 when chemical weapons were introduced. Gas masked sealed better on a cleanly shaven face and buzzed head.

And yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Also the NY Yankees also have a grooming policy

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
doesn't seem like too big of a deal to duclair, that's all i really have to say about it

seems like a lot of people are more offended about it than he is

I'm usually cautious about assuming too much and I'll almost always err on the side of "hockey culture is full of socially toxic dinosaurs"

But I agree and I think in this case it's a lot of people rushing to be outraged on Duclair's behalf when he made the choice himself.

Well shit...Askarov to San Jose.

It's gonna be funny watching Blake get lapped by Anaheim and San Jose in short order here.

SJ in particular, sheesh. Celebrini, Will Smith, Dickinson, Eklund, and now Askarov, all since just 2021. Take f***ing notes AEG you f***ing chodes

also bonus points for Quentin Musty and Filip Bystedt who are now by the Voltron Transitive Property Quinton Byfield

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
SJ in particular, sheesh. Celebrini, Will Smith, Dickinson, Eklund, and now Askarov, all since just 2021. Take f***ing notes AEG you f***ing chodes
But they have sucked the last couple years!

Just think of all the cherished memories you have of the 2022, 2023 and 2024 playoffs! You don't watch them every night on YouTube?

Nashville is such a loser organization too, talk about completely botching a huge talent. And just think, this is the organization the Kings are emulating.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You may not like Lou’s standards but people I’ve noticed love making everything somehow about race when it’s just an old geezer who likes uniformity in presentation.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
You may not like Lou’s standards but people I’ve noticed love making everything somehow about race when it’s just an old geezer who likes uniformity in presentation.

Did you expect any less from sports media members? (which trickles down to public discourse) 100% of the people writing for the Athletic wish they were writing for a publication that sounds a lot like the Athletic, so they try and push this as something waaaaaaay more than it is.

Again, if this were Brent Burns he'd have had to have done the same thing, and it would get ZERO news coverage, ZERO. Other than maybe people joking he doesn't look like a caveman anymore.

Ask yourself why that is?

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just watch, Edmonton and Vancouver will come back down to Earth just as Anaheim and San Jose get good solely to allow the Kings to flounder into first round playoff loses year after year.

To be fair a lot of people have been predicting this for literally years and years

now the new plot twist is giving Byfield the PERFECT contract for him to exit to one of those teams

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
To be fair a lot of people have been predicting this for literally years and years

now the new plot twist is giving Byfield the PERFECT contract for him to exit to one of those teams

I still could not believe when I read the Byfield contract thread how much positivity the extension got from our fans. I think it was @bland finally bringing it up with maybe the 20th reply to it, saying (paraphrase) "He is going to be an UFA at 26", which should have been the first thing mentioned.

But hey, the extension accomplished exactly what Bluc wanted, $2m in cap savings for the final years of 11 and 8's relevancy. They sold three years of team control of QB's prime, in exchange for $2m in cap savings for two black hole years and three rebuild years, And people cheered it on :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad