Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would love to see the long term on money actually spent on McDavid/Draisaitl vs. marketing dollars brought in from them, I'm sure in a canadian market it's awesome for them

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don't think Edmonton had a choice either way. You'd have to perform master-class trade to move Draisaitl during a make-or-break year as a rental and have those pieces in return be exactly what you need to get the team over the hump and working for you right now. If you don't, then you risk him walking for nothing and/or if you do lose him or miss this upcoming playoffs then you may also likely lose McDavid and all hope for the future.

The only option was to offer him a blank check and keep him. Of course, by doing so, they are guaranteed to eat some declined seasons in a handful of years all while now being locked in with three players earning ~$40M/season. They are going to need some magical complimentary players to make it all work. This season is kind of all-or-nothing still in my mind.

It's sort of like their version of Crosby/Malkin, but without the other talent around them. The Pens had those exceptional years of drafting 2 top centers, a goalie, a dman and others that helped them win championships.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would love to see the long term on money actually spent on McDavid/Draisaitl vs. marketing dollars brought in from them, I'm sure in a canadian market it's awesome for them
I'd be curious as well, but it's probably one of those things that's difficult to quantify.

Edmonton is an extremely small market. 1.4M metro area population (1M city). Only Winnipeg and Buffalo are smaller.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Digging the subtle orange/red in the eye of the logo. Really nice touch.

Not sure how that design esthetic slipped everyone's mind for the past decade.

459611891_544626634575387_4165465543549369978_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad