Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I had that sinking feeling as the night dragged on without any statement from Johnny himself or someone close to him...

And even if it turned out it wasn't him and Matthew, that was still two people who were now dead because of someone's stupid choices

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Purely anecdotal from my experiences and talking to others, but for some reason since the onset of the pandemic it seems like drivers have become even more rage-filled and reckless on the road.
Without getting political, it sure seems like the last 7-8 years have seen a proliferation of a-holes thinking only about themselves in general - but the road is where you see the consequences.

The u-turns in the middle of busy 4 lane roads instead of waiting for an intersection are what I have noticed the most.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
IMG_0734.jpeg

😢

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Yeah... things definitely hit different after you have kids of your own. Even some movies I used to watch when I was younger that didn't bother me at all I can't even anymore because kids die in them. That this actually happens to people in real life is just horrible.
Like I always tell my kids, even if you as a pedestrian have the right of way, never trust a driver to obey the laws perfectly. If something goes wrong, it's the drivers' fault but you're dead.

Heart breaks for the young family and just tragic all around.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Without getting political, it sure seems like the last 7-8 years have seen a proliferation of a-holes thinking only about themselves in general - but the road is where you see the consequences.

The u-turns in the middle of busy 4 lane roads instead of waiting for an intersection are what I have noticed the most.
Using the far right lane (the turning lane or bus lane) to pass at an intersection, cutting back 1/2 thru the intersection, only to gain 1-2 car lengths. Another is turning left as soon as the light changes cutting off the on coming traffic. Glad I no longer need to drive much.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I can also say that New England drivers are WAY more aggressive than LA drivers. I'd say at least half the time when I get on the highway here there's some asshole going 20mph faster than everyone else (like 90-100), weaving in and out of lanes and cutting people off. It's insane, and I'm by no means a slow driver when there's a clear lane.
Sounds like the UK. In the south of England, around London, it’s been an issue for years.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
A lot of crappy stuff I see is because people don't want to go one inch away from the most direct route to their destination. Instead of going down the street to make a legal u-turn, or turning right instead of left because they are extremely close to an intersection on their left, or going an extra block because they missed their turn or weren't over far enough to make it safely - they'll just do the most jack-assed dangerous shit so they aren't "inconvenienced" or something.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm of the belief that the Covid times has dramatically made this issue of bad driving habits way worse. Having very little people on the road made driving super fast (open roads) and going thru stop signs, red lights (not waiting), etc. just a normal everyday occurrence for many people. The "gunners" (so-to-speak) even worse giving them the feeling they can do this upon normal times as well. Add to it the lack of cops on the streets (again, due to the anti-cop movement during covid)....and you have a perfect storm for bad drivers and lack of personal decency on the roads..

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm of the belief that the Covid times has dramatically made this issue of bad driving habits way worse. Having very little people on the road made driving super fast (open roads) and going thru stop signs, red lights (not waiting), etc. just a normal everyday occurrence for many people. The "gunners" (so-to-speak) even worse giving them the feeling they can do this upon normal times as well. Add to it the lack of cops on the streets (again, due to the anti-cop movement during covid)....and you have a perfect storm for bad drivers and lack of personal decency on the roads..
I also blame social media. Social media has made many people in to self absorbed egomaniacs.

People need to remember that in a functional society that their actions effect others.
They also have to remember that they aren't awesome to a level that aren't consequences. ( only I am that awesome)

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
I also blame social media. Social media has made many people in to self absorbed egomaniacs.

People need to remember that in a functional society that their actions effect others.
They also have to remember that they aren't awesome to a level that aren't consequences. ( only I am that awesome)
Nothing like waiting at a stop light for the driver in front of you to complete their text messages.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Draisaitl will be 29 in October. That means he'll be 30 in the first year of that contract.

A 30 year old signed to an 8 year deal at a 14M cap hit. What could go wrong?
It’s hard to argue he doesn’t deserve it but it feels like the last 2-3 years might hurt.

McDavid's contract is gonna be like 130M.
It’ll make their cap management interesting once it kicks in.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It’s hard to argue he doesn’t deserve it but it feels like the last 2-3 years might hurt.

It’ll make their cap management interesting once it kicks in.
Agreed. They are hitching their wagons to multiple players who have not yet done even enough to bring the team over the edge. Nurse in particular. Draisaitl is also one-dimensional (though very good in that dimension). But like McDavid, their one dimension hasn't been enough to bring their team to a championship.

It's another reason why I've never had a problem with Kopitar's extension, which often gets brought up. He, along with Doughty, were key pieces in helping the team win two championships. Better results + fewer contracts with big cap hits. The Kings had more flexibility to rebuild + compete for the cup in the past decade had there been some adherence to a plan.

Edmonton can certainly win soon, but my confidence in their ability to do so will quickly dwindle as time goes on.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Their ownership chose marketing dollars over success. Not a bad choice since it has been excessively difficult for a Canadian team to win.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't think Edmonton had a choice either way. You'd have to perform master-class trade to move Draisaitl during a make-or-break year as a rental and have those pieces in return be exactly what you need to get the team over the hump and working for you right now. If you don't, then you risk him walking for nothing and/or if you do lose him or miss this upcoming playoffs then you may also likely lose McDavid and all hope for the future.

The only option was to offer him a blank check and keep him. Of course, by doing so, they are guaranteed to eat some declined seasons in a handful of years all while now being locked in with three players earning ~$40M/season. They are going to need some magical complimentary players to make it all work. This season is kind of all-or-nothing still in my mind.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If there was a team that had a younger version of LD that wanted out, and the Oilers could trade LD for him(see Panthers/Flames and Tkachuk/Huberdeau), that you do no question. Since that's not very likely, the Oilers had no choice. You re-sign him, hope McDavid wants to stay too(he probably will), and whatever happens, happens. If they never win, they never win. Oh well. There's no other realistic option coming off Game 7 of the Final. If he wants to stay, you sign him. Unless you get crazy timing like the Panthers, that's just pro-sports. Talent is too rare.

Reactions: tny760

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I dunno....isn't thiis the SAME EXACT scenario LA was in with Kopitar, except, Kopitar had won 2 cups first? LA gets absolutely BLASTED by some on here for making that deal, and now EDM does it and it was the only thing they could do? Interesting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad