Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Much like the Gauthier saga… no one comes off looking good in the Ryan Johansen saga.
Just what exactly did the Flyers do wrong with Gauthier? His rub was that he wanted to be able to burn a year off of his ELC without having earned a spot on the roster. The Flyers wanted him to play another season in college because he wasn't NHL ready. His situation is quite similar to Winnipeg's with McGroarty, a friend and former teammate of Gauthier's. He wanted to be put on the roster going into the POs so that he could burn a year on his ELC.
It looks like KO sports has this as a policy-that they will pressure the NHL club that drafts one of their clients to cut the ELC from three years to two or else they will raise hell with the organization. No wonder thirteen clubs passed on Buium. Why search for trouble if you don't need to? It's a cute trick for an agent pull however there's nothing in the CBA that indicates that clubs are obligated to do what they want. If agent such as these are so concerned about the term of the ELC, get the players to negotiate it down in the next CBA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
An extreme example

5184.jpg
I worked with a dude who cut himself with a utility knife because he was hacking at a cardboard box, went and got stitches and whatnot, then went skiing and told everyone about it.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Just what exactly did the Flyers do wrong with Gauthier? His rub was that he wanted to be able to burn a year off of his ELC without having earned a spot on the roster. The Flyers wanted him to play another season in college because he wasn't NHL ready. His situation is quite similar to Winnipeg's with McGroarty, a friend and former teammate of Gauthier's. He wanted to be put on the roster going into the POs so that he could burn a year on his ELC.
It looks like KO sports has this as a policy-that they will pressure the NHL club that drafts one of their clients to cut the ELC from three years to two or else they will raise hell with the organization. No wonder thirteen clubs passed on Buium. Why search for trouble if you don't need to? It's a cute trick for an agent pull however there's nothing in the CBA that indicates that clubs are obligated to do what they want. If agent such as these are so concerned about the term of the ELC, get the players to negotiate it down in the next CBA.

The reporting around Gauthier was that they didn’t want to sign him because it would have caused a small cap overage to carry over to the next year.

Regardless of what I think of him as a prospect, I would think everyone can agree a small amount of cap space isn’t worth pissing off someone you consider a lynchpin young player.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just what exactly did the Flyers do wrong with Gauthier?
Depends on whose reporting you believe, but there are reports that Fletcher had agreed to Gauthier's request to burn an ELC year, and Brière reneged on that agreement. Not holding to a commitment made on your organization's behalf isn't the best look (though I believe that, as long as DB was prepared for the possibility of exactly what happened coming to pass, and willing to deal with the consequences of that, he was within his rights to do so).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who knows what happened with Gauthier.
He's from Arizona and got traded to a West Coast team . . .
But it was obvious after his first college season he wasn't ready to play center in the NHL, so who knows how that played (did he want to stay at center, did the Flyers . . .)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Depends on whose reporting you believe, but there are reports that Fletcher had agreed to Gauthier's request to burn an ELC year, and Brière reneged on that agreement. Not holding to a commitment made on your organization's behalf isn't the best look (though I believe that, as long as DB was prepared for the possibility of exactly what happened coming to pass, and willing to deal with the consequences of that, he was within his rights to do so).
If true, that's a bit of an issue. However I have not seen any evidence that Fletcher and Briere did that. If you have it, I'd like to see it.
It seems suspicious that two friends, Gauthier and McGroarty both represented by the same agency, are doing the same thing in demanding that a year be burned off of their contracts or else. Both players were happy as could be when they were drafted. Two years later they are out on their clubs with no reason being given.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Who knows what happened with Gauthier.
He's from Arizona and got traded to a West Coast team . . .
But it was obvious after his first college season he wasn't ready to play center in the NHL, so who knows how that played (did he want to stay at center, did the Flyers . . .)
More conspiracy theories. Can't you accept the fact the Flyers messed up? If not why?

Reactions: bennysflyers16

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If true, that's a bit of an issue. However I have not seen any evidence that Fletcher and Briere did that. If you have it, I'd like to see it.
It seems suspicious that two friends, Gauthier and McGroarty both represented by the same agency, are doing the same thing in demanding that a year be burned off of their contracts or else. Both players were happy as could be when they were drafted. Two years later they are out on their clubs with no reason being given.
Both situations are different, and why they requested out. College players every year get what Cutter wanted.

Once again, the simple fact is as soon as his freshman year was over, he should have been signed. How anyone can defend otherwise is mind boggling to me.

Also....it's VERY common for top prospects to get that 1 year burned off their ELC. Gauthier was not asking for something that hundreds of other prospects got.
Nope not all. Happens every year. It was as simple as simple can get.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
These are usually handled through informal agreements to compensate the player down the road.

And it's usually CHL guys at the end of the season when they're ready to go pro.
Gauthier didn't show enough as a freshman that most teams would have encouraged him to leave college.
32g 16-21 37
While they added stars the next season, it was still a pretty deep roster
Nesterenko #172-2019
Kuntar #89-2020
Gasseau #213-2021
Ambrosio #118-2020
Jellvik #149-2021
Powell (D) #116-2020
Warren (D) #166-2019
Leddy (D) #126-2022
Hreschuck (D) #94-2021

Last year they added Smith, Leonard and Perreault, plus
Minnetian (D) #125-2023
Fortescue (D) #90-2023
So Gauthier had a lot of help in his breakout season (basically improved SH%).

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
The point remains the same, whether you believe the flyers are in the right or if they're in the right, there's no out come where they look good so arguing whether he's faking it or not is pointless, this will impact potential free agents, trades, drafts, prospects etc, they are going to shoot themselves in the foot over this when he could have sat for the year again, and his contract would be gone, as will cal Petersons, really not worth the risk that they're putting on themselves

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

All of the reporting was that McGroarty’s relationship with Winnipeg fell apart because he refused to spend any time in the AHL and wanted guaranteed playing time, not because of burning a year vs not.

Gauthier wasn’t about burning an ELC year either.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Flyers: "He claims his hip hurts when he plays hockey, and we admit that's true, but as you can see here he lifts weight with his arms doing something else! Case closed."

Arbitrator:
tJaBJjl.gif
Dude, I know you're trying to be funny and take a shot at the Flyers but have you never lifted anything in your life?
You don't just lift with your arms, you use your back, groin, hips, knees, all kinds of muscles involved and if you lift poorly you can injure them. Where do you think hernias come from?

But carry on.

Really aging yourself.
What's it called where you are? Worksafe? Has different names in different places.

but ya I'm old what of it?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Dude, I know you're trying to be funny and take a shot at the Flyers but have you never lifted anything in your life?
You don't just lift with your arms, you use your back, groin, hips, knees, all kinds of muscles involved and if you lift poorly you can injure them. Where do you think hernias come from?

But carry on.

What's it called where you are? Worksafe? Has different names in different places.

but ya I'm old what of it?

It's worker's comp(ensation).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I seem to remember a lot of people playing up the idea that he could play center after his first college season, including this team's management.
I remember them saying they want to see him at center.

The consensus was there was a question whether he had the vision to be a playmaker at center, but was a slam dunk as a goal scoring LW.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Everyone knows Johansen is a dog who has been a problem everywhere he's gone

The guy played 63 straight games for the Avs, then gets traded and sent down and suddenly he's debilitated. Can't even be bought out. Everyone knows its BS. It's a month before camp & he still hasn't had surgery. Anyone defending him is so far gone on their Flyers hate that it's completely illogical.

Where has he had issues outside of torts? Honest question. I watched him locally and never heard a peep. Torts seems to be the common denominator.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
All of the reporting was that McGroarty’s relationship with Winnipeg fell apart because he refused to spend any time in the AHL and wanted guaranteed playing time, not because of burning a year vs not.

Gauthier wasn’t about burning an ELC year either.

McGroarty wanted to come to the show after his college season ended last spring. That would have burned a year. The same with Gauthier who wanted to be added to the roster after his first college season. Briere told him no and to go back to school. The problem in both cases is that neither of these guys will come clean and divulge the reasons for their decisions.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@renberg Can’t quote because there’s no text. I’m assuming the 2nd quote from me is a typo and that’s what you meant to say yourself.

The league source indicated that McGroarty’s view of his long-term future with Winnipeg changed since the conclusion of his NCAA season.

Winnipeg wanted to sign McGroarty to a professional contract in April but was unwilling to promise a path to playing time. Whereas McGroarty’s University of Michigan teammates Frank Nazar and Gavin Brindley signed with Chicago and Columbus, respectively — and played NHL games, like McGroarty’s former Michigan teammates Adam Fantilli and Luke Hughesdid last season — the Jets were focused on their upcoming playoff run.

Sometimes a collegiate player will sign and step right into the NHL, helping the team in the playoffs. Matthew Knies did this for Toronto in 2023 and Cale Makar’s first games were played for Colorado during its 2019 playoff run.

The Jets didn’t view McGroarty as ready to make that kind of impact, nor were they ready to guarantee him a roster spot in the NHL next season. McGroarty could sign and come to training camp but risked being demoted to the AHL instead of trying to lead his Michigan team to a national championship.

It wasn’t burning a year of the ELC. Winnipeg was fine with that.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5583575/2024/06/22/winnipeg-jets-rutger-mcgroarty-trade/

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Just what exactly did the Flyers do wrong with Gauthier? His rub was that he wanted to be able to burn a year off of his ELC without having earned a spot on the roster. The Flyers wanted him to play another season in college because he wasn't NHL ready.
This is what they did wrong. They put their ego ahead of keeping the better player.

Is it good the Flyers are limiting the players available to them in the draft because they are being too cheap or stubborn to eat an ELC year?

Is it good to allow thise talented players to go to other franchises?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
This is what they did wrong. They put their ego ahead of keeping the better player.

Is it good the Flyers are limiting the players available to them in the draft because they are being too cheap or stubborn to eat an ELC year?

Is it good to allow thise talented players to go to other franchises?
It is if you believe in "culture" winning hockey games.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers didn’t want to sign him because they’re didn’t want to bring him into a chaotic situation. Even though, if you’re instilling his hyperculture mantra, two weeks playing with a bunch of guys who wanted to check out presumably shouldn’t matter if you’re an organization that thinks they know what they’re doing. It’s not like they turned over the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad