Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I also couldn't find an example going back 20 years. But the NHL starting its season later now will make it more likely to happen in the future. BC's early exit meant Gauthier had 16 games available, but the Flyers wanted to see what they had in Brendan Lemieux and Wade Allison.

Worth it to not be part of the worst run franchise in the league, though. Right?

I think you're being sarcastic, but this is probably the truth.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The rationale from the Gauthier camp for the steps that they took has never been revealed. All we have is rumors about that. It would be nice if Gauthier or his agent stepped forward and said that he didn’t want to sign with the Flyers and demanded a trade was…….(fill in the blank). Decisions were made and both sides are going to have to live with them.
Gauthier never said why he froze out the team & had his agent demand a trade.

People have speculated a variety of things.

One was that he didn't want a rookie GM.

One was that he was mad the team wouldn't guarantee him an NHL spot off the bat.

One was that he wanted a year burned off his ELC.

But it's all been speculation.

And it ignores the fact that both Jones and Briere said they started hearing he was going to be a problem to sign just months after the draft, in Fall 2023, when Jones was broadcasting & Briere was a mere assistant in the front office.

My opinion is Cutter is full of himself & simply didn't want to play in the city of Philly, also his favorite team's rival.

And probably wanted to dictate he play closer to home in the West (or in Pittsburgh with Crosby).

No one knows, and Cutter sure isn't giving a reason.

And the McGroarty situation is essentially identical. No reason provided. The implication being he simply wanted to play in a different city than Winnipeg.

Funny that they're best friends and have the same agent.

I doubt it's a coincidence that Buium, who also has that agent, fell to 12th in the draft. Teams are wary of it happening to them. That he wants to dictate where he plays.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

One was that he was mad the team wouldn't guarantee him an NHL spot off the bat.

And it ignores the fact that both Jones and Briere said they started hearing he was going to be a problem to sign just months after the draft, in Fall 2023, when Jones was broadcasting & Briere was a mere assistant in the front office.

My opinion is Cutter is full of himself & simply didn't want to play in the city of Philly, also his favorite team's rival.

And probably wanted to dictate he play closer to home in the West (or in Pittsburgh with Crosby).

And the McGroarty situation is essentially identical. No reason provided. The implication being he simply wanted to play in a different city than Winnipeg.

I doubt it's a coincidence that Buium, who also has that agent, fell to 12th in the draft. Teams are wary of it happening to them. That he wants to dictate where he plays.
Might want to fact check that, broseph.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is 1000% correct.

And the thing is: NHL teams handle douchebags all the time. Most of the league is douchebags. It's how elite hockey players are.

And if you take one off a contender and go "hey man, we're just gonna bury your whole NHL career for 3 to 15 months, not because we're flush with NHL centers, but because our coach thinks you're a dick and you were just a cap dump to us anyway" then how do you think a douche is gonna feel? And what about all the other douches competing for playing time and a slice of that sweet cap pie?

The Flyers aren't the only team that has to figure out how to deal with asshole athletes. They're the one that just turns into a PROBLEM every f***ing time.
Teams have problem with douche bag players all the time, just go read NHL rumors or any other non-Philly source. This is not a FO problem, this is why you need to scout character and intangibles as well as on ice play.

Flyers had no problem with Peterson going to the AHL. He's happy to collect those inflated paychecks.

Johansen not only didn't want to go to the AHL, he also didn't want to be bought out which would have allowed him to choose his next team (if any team would have signed him).

I wonder if there was a verbal agreement when he arrived, "ok, we won't force you to go to the AHL, but we plan to buy you out in the summer." Which would explain why the Flyers didn't challenge his contention that he was too injured to play, they didn't need the cap room last year and thought they could part amicably.

Reactions: renberg

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
A lot more folks than just Torts don't like Johansen. I agree with keeping him away from the NHL team. Dudes a locker room cancer.

You don't give locker room cancers a chance to mess with your vibe. Especially not on a younger, more impressionable team like the Flyers.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is a common misconception, but Gauthier didn’t need to play 1 game to burn his ELC. That’s age related. As someone who was 19 until January of the next year, he would have needed 10 games. The Flyers did have just enough games for him to get there, but I did some lazy research and couldn’t find a single example of a post-January, 1st rounder burning his ELC as a freshman. So, actually it’s possibly something no peer has ever gotten, even if you believe the Flyers f***ed up not signing him.

I also couldn't find an example going back 20 years. But the NHL starting its season later now will make it more likely to happen in the future. BC's early exit meant Gauthier had 16 games available, but the Flyers wanted to see what they had in Brendan Lemieux and Wade Allison.

Worth it to not be part of the worst run franchise in the league, though. Right?

I’m not sure you even need to play a game at all. Eric Hartzell did this with Pittsburgh. He was on the roster getting paid for a week and a year later he was a free agent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

McGroarty wanted to play in the NHL and the Jets didn’t have a path for that. They’re also developing a persona that they’re holding players back from playing, example: Cole Perfetti.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
A lot more folks than just Torts don't like Johansen. I agree with keeping him away from the NHL team. Dudes a locker room cancer.

You don't give locker room cancers a chance to mess with your vibe. Especially not on a younger, more impressionable team like the Flyers.
Especially when we’ve been destroying our locker room vibe in our own particular way for so long now.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

They are best friends but have different agents.

Cutter is withPat Brisson and CAA while McGroarty is represented by Kurt Overhart and KO Sports.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

You're worried about the locker room? The whole organization is a cancer.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Based on what exactly? If he was such a cancer, why acquire him and send him to the AHL to poison that Lockeroom of young players? Flyers love culture. You think they acquire a "cancer" type player?

If RYJO would upset the Flyers "room" then maybe that room isn't all that strong or cohesive as lead to believe.

Also, if such a cancer why would the Avs, who are cup contenders, want him near their "room"?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Based on what exactly? If he was such a cancer, why acquire him and send him to the AHL to poison that Lockeroom of young players? Flyers love culture. You think they acquire a "cancer" type player?

If RYJO would upset the Flyers "room" then maybe that room isn't all that strong or cohesive as lead to believe.

Also, if such a cancer why would the Avs, who are cup contenders, want him near their "room"?

The Avs did pay to get rid of him.

But you are right. The locker room is so tight and Laughton is so hallowed and welcoming, and we have so many respected veterans that the addition of one guy at a position of need for a playoff push who might be a bad apple would’ve sent the team into a tailspin because of his attitude.

Wait, that happened anyways.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The Avs did pay to get rid of him.

But you are right. The locker room is so tight and Laughton is so hallowed and welcoming, that the addition of one guy for a playoff push who might be a bad apple would’ve sent the team into a tailspin.

Wait, that happened anyways.
Yes they did as his play was not all that great. Apparently, some had an issue with him in the locker room. Was never said why. Maybe he said or did something. Doesn't make him a cancer is all I am saying.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yes they did as his play was not all that great. Apparently, some had an issue with him in the locker room. Was never said why. Maybe he said or did something. Doesn't make him a cancer is all I am saying.
But CBJ and Nashville were both more than happy to get him out of town. The guy is a cancer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's never been a coach's favorite, but if he was producing, that could be tolerated.
On Colorado, xGFrel -7.43, HDCFrel -8.89. 1.22 pp/60 (5x5).
So he was a defensive liability who could no longer score.
In other words, as useful as tits on a bull.

So he wasn't playing ahead of Frost, Couts, Laughton, Poehling or Cates at center.

Reactions: renberg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They are best friends but have different agents.

Cutter is withPat Brisson and CAA while McGroarty is represented by Kurt Overhart and KO Sports.
I thought McGroarty also was with Overhardt. I stand corrected on that if he’s with Brisson. I know Cutter is with Overhardt, as is Buium, as is Farabee.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad