Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The reporting around Gauthier was that they didn’t want to sign him because it would have caused a small cap overage to carry over to the next year.

Regardless of what I think of him as a prospect, I would think everyone can agree a small amount of cap space isn’t worth pissing off someone you consider a lynchpin young player.

I also dont think it was justification for what Gauthier did either. Now he's probably gonna end up losing more of his future income to CA taxes than he lost from the ELC issue.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Everyone knows Johansen is a dog who has been a problem everywhere he's gone

The guy played 63 straight games for the Avs, then gets traded and sent down and suddenly he's debilitated. Can't even be bought out. Everyone knows its BS. It's a month before camp & he still hasn't had surgery. Anyone defending him is so far gone on their Flyers hate that it's completely illogical.

The Flyers said he is injured. Are you saying they're liars?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Who knows what happened with Gauthier.
He's from Arizona and got traded to a West Coast team . . .
But it was obvious after his first college season he wasn't ready to play center in the NHL, so who knows how that played (did he want to stay at center, did the Flyers . . .)

The Flyers blew it. That's what happened with Gauthier.

They blew it with him, they blew it with Johansen. Both cases they tried to pull ridiculous and pointless power plays over them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Dude, I know you're trying to be funny and take a shot at the Flyers but have you never lifted anything in your life?
You don't just lift with your arms, you use your back, groin, hips, knees, all kinds of muscles involved and if you lift poorly you can injure them. Where do you think hernias come from?

But carry on.

What's it called where you are? Worksafe? Has different names in different places.

but ya I'm old what of it?

Since you seem to have some idea of how a body is interlinked and dynamic, you must also be aware that lifting a weight and dancing is nothing like playing professional hockey.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The Flyers blew it. That's what happened with Gauthier.

They blew it with him, they blew it with Johansen. Both cases they tried to pull ridiculous and pointless power plays over them.

"we dont care about the name on the back of the jersey...blahblah...blah"

#SameolOrange..

take ur skill and beat it! we want grinders and honest good ol hockey players here...

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Since you seem to have some idea of how a body is interlinked and dynamic, you must also be aware that lifting a weight and dancing is nothing like playing professional hockey.
Of course not and without the video you and I don't know how much lifting etc. was done. Injuries affect things and it's obvious that there is a disparity in their minds in terms of what he claimed and what is. Who is closer to the truth (if either) is unknown. Just more drama.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Of course not and without the video you and I don't know how much lifting etc. was done. Injuries affect things and it's obvious that there is a disparity in their minds in terms of what he claimed and what is. Who is closer to the truth (if either) is unknown. Just more drama.

I'm not even worried so much about who is telling the truth. I'm even assuming that Johansen is exaggerating, and he's definitely stringing it out as long as he can. I still think the Flyers have handled this badly, and no small reason that Johansen is doing this is the way they handled him. It's wholly self inflicted, and I would be shocked if the challenge isn't a black eye in the end.

Flyers didn't give him a good faith chance so now he isn't returning the favor. They messed with a douche and now they're getting douched

Last edited:

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
I'm not even worried so much about who is telling the truth. I'm even assuming that Johansen is exaggerating, and he's definitely stringing it out as long as he can. I still think the Flyers have handled this badly, and no small reason that Johansen is doing this is the way they handled him. It's wholly self inflicted, and I would be shocked if the challenge isn't a black eye in the end.

Flyers didn't give him a good faith chance so now he isn't returning the favor. They messed with a douche and now they're getting douched
It just seem childish honestly. They are pissed with Overhardt over the Gauthier stuff and are now going to make him pay with his highest paid client. It's bad business.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024

maybe but your "revolutionary positivity" is always to assume "negativity" when it comes to the Flyers. Personally I don't care about Johanson at all.

Reactions: 04hockey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
maybe but your "revolutionary positivity" is always to assume "negativity" when it comes to the Flyers. Personally I don't care about Johanson at all.

Well it's a situation they created. One of many conflicts with players the team has created on their own. My revolution in positivity is realizing that hiding from the reality of what the Flyers are is negative behavior.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If true, that's a bit of an issue. However I have not seen any evidence that Fletcher and Briere did that. If you have it, I'd like to see it.
It seems suspicious that two friends, Gauthier and McGroarty both represented by the same agency, are doing the same thing in demanding that a year be burned off of their contracts or else. Both players were happy as could be when they were drafted. Two years later they are out on their clubs with no reason being given.

Both wanted what is becoming the norm for NCAA 1st round picks and that is being signed going pro and seeing some NHL action

McGroarty watched several of his teammate's sign with NHL clubs and get NHL games after NCAA year ended over last 2 years

Luke Hughes (4th overall) - 2 games with Devils in 2023 (+ 3 played in 3 playoff games)
Frank Nazar (13th overall) - 3 games with Hawks this past year
Gavin Brindley (34th overall) - 1 game with Jackets this past year

Jets excuse not to do same for McGroarty because of "Being in race for division title, etc" rings hollow when Devils were in same spot, and Hughes still got a few games (And then found himself playing a few playoff games as well)

It also rings hollow because dressing guys like Axel Jonsson-Fjallby and David Gustafsson but being afraid to actually play them in playoffs (Both barely played in playoffs averaging paltry TOI) certainly undercuts any claim of kid playing on playoff team being issue since those guys were waste of roster spots and stapled to bench for majority of playoff games and playing low TOI in regular season

They also gave Brad Lambert (30th overall in 2022) and Nikita Chibrikov (2nd round in 2021) NHL game to end season. Lambert had good year in AHL so getting game was reward for him while Chibrikov at times struggled in AHL but they decided to give him an NHL game. Surely your 14th overall drafted top prospect who has been one of the best players in NCAA getting game or two should not have been issue if you're going to play a few rookies to end year

And the Jets inexplicably played Kupari for final game of NHL season after he was injured for a month and had been healthy scratch for his struggles at times in year and generally had awful year when healthy. He then was carried as extra forward in playoffs but never played a game

Surely it would not have hurt the Jets to sign kid and give him a few games to NHL season and carry him on NHL playoff roster over several people

Also....it's VERY common for top prospects to get that 1 year burned off their ELC. Gauthier was asking for something that hundreds of other prospects got.

Yep

The new reality is this is leveraging NCAA 1st round picks have now along with other productive NCAA prospects. Most organizations know they are going to burn off ELC and give them a few games at least to end year

Neither Cutter or McGroraty situations should have surprised organizations, and both were mishandled by organizations IMO

Last edited:

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
The new reality is this is leveraging NCAA 1st round picks have now along with other productive NCAA prospects. Most organizations know they are going to burn off ELC and give them a few games at least to end year

Neither Cutter or McGroraty situations should have surprised organizations, and both were mishandled by organizations IMO
By burning a year off the ELC, they get to their bridge contracts one year sooner, so it means $950K instead of $2.5+ million for the third full year of the their NHL career. Seems worth it to the players to force their draft teams' hands = money in the bank.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Also....it's VERY common for top prospects to get that 1 year burned off their ELC. Gauthier was asking for something that hundreds of other prospects got.

This is a common misconception, but Gauthier didn’t need to play 1 game to burn his ELC. That’s age related. As someone who was 19 until January of the next year, he would have needed 10 games. The Flyers did have just enough games for him to get there, but I did some lazy research and couldn’t find a single example of a post-January, 1st rounder burning his ELC as a freshman. So, actually it’s possibly something no peer has ever gotten, even if you believe the Flyers f***ed up not signing him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is a common misconception, but Gauthier didn’t need to play 1 game to burn his ELC. That’s age related. As someone who was 19 until January of the next year, he would have needed 10 games. The Flyers did have just enough games for him to get there, but I did some lazy research and couldn’t find a single example of a post-January, 1st rounder burning his ELC as a freshman. So, actually it’s possibly something no peer has ever gotten, even if you believe the Flyers f***ed up not signing him.
So you're saying that something he should have had no expectation of receiving is the reason he refused to sign?

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Didn’t get a chance to ask Daly about Ryan Johansen, whose contract can be terminated by Philadelphia. He’s got $8M remaining. Agent Kurt Overhardt is preparing for a fight, and the Flyers wouldn’t pursue this without a behind-the-scenes wink from the NHL.

I don’t like to question injuries, especially since anyone who's played 905 games (like Johansen) is guaranteed to have legitimate ones. I’m told the key will be everyone navigating how he went from not missing games and practices in Colorado to how he was unable to play for either Philadelphia or AHL Lehigh Valley. The timing is a little weird, which probably has something to do with video of Johansen dancing at his wedding. Again, I wouldn’t try to handicap this, except for saying the NHL and NHLPA hate risking precedent from an arbitrator, so a settlement is always the preference without an air-tight case.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So you're saying that something he should have had no expectation of receiving is the reason he refused to sign?
We have no way of knowing that. We have no idea what was promised by the organization.

What we do know is that Gauthier and Gauthier’s camp had issues with multiple things done by the organization and that the Flyers front office was worried about a potential cap overage.

Yes, the same franchise and GM that produced that shit sandwich of a season despite only making one mistake was worried about cap space.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

There isn’t one. The burning years are usually done sophomore year, not freshman year.

It does jive that CG believes himself to be so elite as a trend setter.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We have no way of knowing that. We have no idea what was promised by the organization.

What we do know is that Gauthier and Gauthier’s camp had issues with multiple things done by the organization and that the Flyers front office was worried about a potential cap overage.

Yes, the same franchise and GM that produced that shit sandwich of a season despite only making one mistake was worried about cap space.
The rationale from the Gauthier camp for the steps that they took has never been revealed. All we have is rumors about that. It would be nice if Gauthier or his agent stepped forward and said that he didn’t want to sign with the Flyers and demanded a trade was…….(fill in the blank). Decisions were made and both sides are going to have to live with them.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Well it's a situation they created. One of many conflicts with players the team has created on their own. My revolution in positivity is realizing that hiding from the reality of what the Flyers are is negative behavior.
So if you're positive you're actually negative and if you're negative that's positive? Okay, that is revolutionary I guess.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

This is 1000% correct.

And the thing is: NHL teams handle douchebags all the time. Most of the league is douchebags. It's how elite hockey players are.

And if you take one off a contender and go "hey man, we're just gonna bury your whole NHL career for 3 to 15 months, not because we're flush with NHL centers, but because our coach thinks you're a dick and you were just a cap dump to us anyway" then how do you think a douche is gonna feel? And what about all the other douches competing for playing time and a slice of that sweet cap pie?

The Flyers aren't the only team that has to figure out how to deal with asshole athletes. They're the one that just turns into a PROBLEM every f***ing time.

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020

I wonder if we still would’ve had to worry about a cap overage had we traded JVR at that deadline

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I also couldn't find an example going back 20 years. But the NHL starting its season later now will make it more likely to happen in the future. BC's early exit meant Gauthier had 16 games available, but the Flyers wanted to see what they had in Brendan Lemieux and Wade Allison.

I also dont think it was justification for what Gauthier did either. Now he's probably gonna end up losing more of his future income to CA taxes than he lost from the ELC issue.
Worth it to not be part of the worst run franchise in the league, though. Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad