Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's supposed to be footage of him lifting and carrying his wife at the wedding so could seeing that be the evidence for the breach? It sounds like the kind of thing workman's comp investigators get people on. His wife probably isn't that heavy, but maybe heavy enough depending on what he claims his injury is? idk. More Flyers drama.

Flyers: "He claims his hip hurts when he plays hockey, and we admit that's true, but as you can see here he lifts weight with his arms doing something else! Case closed."

Arbitrator:
tJaBJjl.gif

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
A few interesting things, mostly from PHLY.

1. Charlie believes it's likely that it gets settled before ever reaching arbitration. In the Corey Perry case, the NHLPA never even filed a grievance. They just reached a settlement.

2. NHL is onboard with the Flyers' claim (they would have to be to allow waivers for the purpose of contract termination). Charlie speculates that the NHL may view this as a precedent-setting situation, and have a vested interest in not having players abuse LTIR.

3. The team's doctors have final say on a medical approach and treatment plan under the CBA. Charlie mentioned the Eichel situation. In the Johansen case, the Flyers are likely going to argue that he purposely waited until now to get the surgery (among other inconsistencies) to ensure he cannot report to the AHL and cannot be bought out. Any surgery would have to be approved by the Flyers' medical team (at least how I understood it... could be wrong but I believe that was the wedge in the Eichel case).

Whatever happens, it seems unlikely that we'll ever be privy to the details of the evidence and arguments presented.

A settlement will be reached. The Flyers will likely receive some cap space and Johansen will likely receive some money, such that it probably ends up being exactly what would happen under a buyout.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
A few interesting things, mostly from PHLY.

1. Charlie believes it's likely that it gets settled before ever reaching arbitration. In the Corey Perry case, the NHLPA never even filed a grievance. They just reached a settlement.

2. NHL is onboard with the Flyers' claim (they would have to be to allow waivers for the purpose of contract termination). Charlie speculates that the NHL may view this as a precedent-setting situation, and have a vested interest in not having players abuse LTIR.

3. The team's doctors have final say on a medical approach and treatment plan under the CBA. Charlie mentioned the Eichel situation. In the Johansen case, the Flyers are likely going to argue that he purposely waited until now to get the surgery (among other inconsistencies) to ensure he cannot report to the AHL and cannot be bought out. Any surgery would have to be approved by the Flyers' medical team (at least how I understood it... could be wrong but I believe that was the wedge in the Eichel case).

Whatever happens, it seems unlikely that we'll ever be privy to the details of the evidence and arguments presented.

A settlement will be reached. The Flyers will likely receive some cap space and Johansen will likely receive some money, such that it probably ends up being exactly what would happen under a buyout.
If he was continuously "rehabbing" that defense imo won't fly.

Bottom line is this once again isn't a good look for the Flyers.

Reactions: BernieParent

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
There's supposed to be footage of him lifting and carrying his wife at the wedding so could seeing that be the evidence for the breach? It sounds like the kind of thing workman's comp investigators get people on. His wife probably isn't that heavy, but maybe heavy enough depending on what he claims his injury is? idk. More Flyers drama.
Really aging yourself.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he was continuously "rehabbing" that defense imo won't fly.

Bottom line is this once again isn't a good look for the Flyers.
I don't think this will have any impact how the players see the Flyers.
Players know that some have tried to "game" the system, and if a gamer is caught, that's on him.

This gives the Flyers leverage in settlement negotiations.

Johansen could have easily accepted a buyout, only reason he won't is he knows he's persona non grata around the NHL and his career is over, so he wants to squeeze every dime out of his last contract.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Yeah, some kind of settlement is probably where this was always headed. Don't care about the split. It's not my money. Frankly I think it's weird if anyone does care about that.

Players know that some have tried to "game" the system, and if a gamer is caught, that's on him.

Johansen could have easily accepted a buyout, only reason he won't is he knows he's persona non grata around the NHL and his career is over, so he wants to squeeze every dime out of his last contract.

This won't hurt the Flyers because everyone gobbles up their propaganda is quite the take.

It probably won’t, but not because no one cares or Ryan Johansen didn't send a coach a Christmas card. It will matter quite a bit to a small number of players/family. There probably just won't ever be an intersection of that group and the people they're trying to sign. Or even if it does cost them someone, we'll never know. That's not the kind of thing that ever gets reported or even leaked.

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, some kind of settlement is probably where this was always headed. Don't care about the split. It's not my money. Frankly I think it's weird if anyone does care about that.

This won't hurt the Flyers because everyone gobbles up their propaganda is quite the take.

It probably won’t, but not because no one cares or Ryan Johansen didn't send a coach a Christmas card. It will matter quite a bit to a small number of players/family. There probably just won't ever be an intersection of that group and the people they're trying to sign. Or even if it does cost them someone, we'll never know. That's not the kind of thing that ever gets reported or even leaked.

As a side note, I saw Duclair's post yesterday with his locks chopped off and a crying emoji, courtesy of Lamoriello's policy on no long hair or facial hair.

For any lawyers out there, would that stand if challenged by the players? No only would individual rights be at the heart of the issue, but also cultural considerations.

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

We disagree. It will def have an impact imo; especially when all things are equal. It also isn't just the RYJO situation. It is a cumulative effect.

Talk about conspiracy theories.

As a side note, I saw Duclair's post yesterday with his locks chopped off and a crying emoji, courtesy of Lamoriello's policy on no facial hair.

For any lawyers out there, would that stand if challenged by the players? No only would individual rights be at the heart of the issue, but also cultural considerations.
Yankees have a policy like this and yet no one ever says a word.

Reactions: BiggE

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yes, one of the TSN analysts up here posted how it was ridiculous to have that policy in 2024, and he basically got ratioed by comments saying the Yankees have been doing it for years.
Makes no diff to me either way. If those are the team rules, then those are the rules. Clearly, he knew what the Isles rules where and didn't have any issue chopping his hair off.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As a side note, I saw Duclair's post yesterday with his locks chopped off and a crying emoji, courtesy of Lamoriello's policy on no long hair or facial hair.

Bans on facial hair in other workplaces that have no basis in safety have been declared illegal in some cases, but I presume in the NHL it would depend on what the the CBA says. "The Yankees do it too!" is an argument with no legal or moral standing.

An employment policy or practice that applies to everyone, regardless of race or color, can be illegal if it has a negative impact on the employment of people of a particular race or color and is not job-related and necessary to the operation of the business. For example, a "no-beard" employment policy that applies to all workers without regard to race or national origin may still be unlawful. If a "no-beard" policy is not related to the job and in effect disproportionately harms employment opportunities based on race or national origin, the policy is unlawful.
If a player wanted to challenge the Yankees or the Islanders policy based on religion, they would win.

New York employers can’t refuse to hire, retain, promote or take other discriminatory action against a person for wearing attire or facial hair in accordance with the tenets of their religion, under legislation (2019 Ch. 154, S 4037 and A 4204) signed by the governor on Aug 11. The new measure amends the New York State Human Rights Law, which already prohibits employers from treating applicants or employees differently because of their religious beliefs and requires reasonable accommodation for an employee’s religious practices.

In February, the New York City Commission on Human Rights issued guidance stating that employer policies on appearance and grooming that ban natural hair or hairstyles constitute unlawful discrimination under the city’s Human Rights Law.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Everyone knows Johansen is a dog who has been a problem everywhere he's gone

The guy played 63 straight games for the Avs, then gets traded and sent down and suddenly he's debilitated. Can't even be bought out. Everyone knows its BS. It's a month before camp & he still hasn't had surgery. Anyone defending him is so far gone on their Flyers hate that it's completely illogical.

Reactions: renberg

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
If the question is his hip, maybe we ought to ask the new Mrs how it was doing the day after the wedding?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Everyone knows Johansen is a dog who has been a problem everywhere he's gone

The guy played 63 straight games for the Avs, then gets traded and sent down and suddenly he's debilitated. Can't even be bought out. Everyone knows its BS. It's a month before camp & he still hasn't had surgery. Anyone defending him is so far gone on their Flyers hate that it's completely illogical.
frankly...same could be said of anyone that believes everything the Flyers say has their head so far up the Flyers ass that it's illogical

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

And we both know the Flyers brass would be flabbergasted at a player not signing here because of this

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Charlie has said on his podcast at times (I think like during the Gauthier situation for example) that they like that kind of national attention for situations like that.

I guess that’s essentially the Bob Clarke legacy left with the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad