OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I grew up in Western, MA near Springfield. We had ice but it never froze enough for a car. But we had consistent skating every year.

Now, I live in central VT. The winters are still colder than the Western, MA winters of the 1990s but its getting close. Last year was the first time on our local lake that there were no trucks.

Winter in Western, MA is now a joke and almost non existent.

To me there is nothing more depressing than 45-33 wet weather with no snow. Pretty much all MA winters now. Sad.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
It's gross. My kids played hard Friday and Saturday, all day. Then Sunday they swam a bit and we got back home from the campground around lunch. They crashed hard from lunch to bed time, and my better half (god love 'er) was upset that "we wasted a beautiful Sunday."

I tried telling her that it felt like the warmth of 1,000 suns outside, and that her definition of "beautiful" is vastly different from the rest of the civilized world. She wasn't having it.

it reminded me of the Super mario 3 meme with the angry sun that tries to kill Mario. That's exactly what it has felt like recently
Solid analogy at the end!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I grew up in Western, MA near Springfield. We had ice but it never froze enough for a car. But we had consistent skating every year.

Now, I live in central VT. The winters are still colder than the Western, MA winters of the 1990s but its getting close. Last year was the first time on our local lake that there were no trucks.

To me there is nothing more depressing than 45-33 wet weather with no snow. Pretty much all MA winters now. Sad.
2 years straight. I used a shovel for all of 3 minutes this past winter, which consisted of me lightly pushing snow dust around so the sun would handle any potential icing concerns.

What I hate the most about it is that my kids miss out on prime sledding years. We have 2 perfect sledding hills near my house that they really enjoy, haven't been able to sled now for what seems like 3 years. I definitely remember when I was younger, I'll say 10-12, there was enough snow at one point that my friends and I went sledding immediately after school every day for over 2 weeks. It just doesn't snow like that any more.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland

We used to skate on the swamp behind our house, which was full of decomposing vegetation and still froze 2-3” thick. Zero chance that’s happening these days.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If anyone needs portable air conditioning or air conditioning in general in this atrocious heat, I suggest going on Offer Up.

My aunt was able to get a used portable air conditioner, in great condition and only paid 30 bucks because the woman didn't need it anymore. She needed something until her unit got fixed and it did the job.

Offer up has a lot of good stuff, sometimes free.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
2 years straight. I used a shovel for all of 3 minutes this past winter, which consisted of me lightly pushing snow dust around so the sun would handle any potential icing concerns.

What I hate the most about it is that my kids miss out on prime sledding years. We have 2 perfect sledding hills near my house that they really enjoy, haven't been able to sled now for what seems like 3 years. I definitely remember when I was younger, I'll say 10-12, there was enough snow at one point that my friends and I went sledding immediately after school every day for over 2 weeks. It just doesn't snow like that any more.
My mother, the official hater of winter has decided to just move to Cape Cod full time when she retires and go to FL for MLK to Mid March and stay with her sister. Cape Cod doesn't have winter anymore and FL is too hot.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My mother, the official hater of winter has decided to just move to Cape Cod full time when she retires and go to FL for MLK to Mid March and stay with her sister. Cape Cod doesn't have winter anymore and FL is too hot.
Oddly enough, my winter hating mother has also been looking for a second home in Florida lol

As much as I hate the heat…it gets my wheels turning too

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Thanks. Ten years ago, I had no AC.

The climate has defiantly changed.

I remember when I was a kid (MANY years ago) we would have a few hot humid days in August. Mom would call them the dog days of August.

Now most of the Summer is gross.
I love summer, it’s always been my favorite season because it reminds me of my carefree youth when summer was just about having fun. I absolutely agree that the weather has shifted and I also agree that grossly humid days were limited to a short time. This summer and last year, the humidity was so prolonged and overbearing that it’s miserable to even do anything outdoors.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
We got torrential rain again today - lots of flooding. Toronto's Don Valley Parkway and Lake Shore Road are underwater. Keep building on green space idiots! That always helps!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Story in the Globe yesterday about how they expect Boston to become a Washington or Memphis climate pretty soon. I have been to Washington in August, we walked around and saw the monuments from 7am to 930amish and spent the rest of the day in the Air and Space museum. It was horribly hot and humid. This was the late 80's, they gave you little heat index cards to figure out the real temp and when to go inside. There should have been an additional column for pale Irish heritage people.
Yes.

As you likely know, DC was built on swampland. Before AC, all the politicians would flee the city in summer.

Reactions: BMC and Fenian24

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
3 more days…..oh boy. 😁

1721172606573.jpeg

1721172654633.jpeg

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

The extent of warming and other change seems to be more pronounced in the northern hemisphere than the southern. Where I live we get a little more humidity in summer, and probably the nights are on average slightly warmer, and that's it. Put me back 20 years and I couldn't tell you anything else was different from then to now other than the usual ebbs and flows of natural cycles. Which isn't to say there hasn't been any other long-term change, but it's not obvious. Not yet anyway.

Perhaps this ties in with the fact that the Arctic is warming faster than the Antarctic, and maybe at some point we'll start catching up and the changes will have greater impact. So far though the kinds of stuff talked about often here, about how the weather and seasons of the past are, literally, past, hasn't been my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad