OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
we were supposed to pull the trigger today, actually, on 32 acres in northern ontario

we backed out, though. after thinking through everything - the death of our two beloved dogs, the arrival of Benny, my dad being ill, the tenuous hold I have on my very political job, and the claim that Jake DeBrusk is a loss that cannot be recovered from is too much to deal with as it is without adding a move north to the mix

so we're planning on waiting a year
Really? No love for the jake joke? Cmon yall

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I don't think I was clear - the entire point of paternity is for my son, yes.

That said - I am also treating it as a 2/3 career reset. To take care of myself (and my family) in ways that I've let lag due to climbing the ladder.

dude, this is the absolute best feeling isn't it
Sadly they can’t bottle that feeling. It goes really quick too. Blink of an eye. Seems he went right from my arms to getting shot at in drug raids. Sucks.

As he grows encourage all of his interests. My son always wanted to be an ice cream man. So we would stop the trucks and the people would love his stories and let him on and show him the ice cream and let him sit behind the wheel

Then it was bus driver. Used to ride the busses with him and get car sick lol. He would sit next to the driver and learn all the tricks

Then it was pilot. Would take him on flights and he would see the pilots after and they would show him around. We would go to the local airport and see them take off abd land. I bought him the flight simulator program and bought all the instruments and made him his own cockpit. He spend hours on cross country flights

He loves the civil war so we went to a reinactment and camped in 30 degree weather eating hard tack and drinking water. Learning all the formations and using muskets. Was great

Then was police officer. Bought him a scanner and when a call came in used to go to the scene and watch procedure. Signed him up for an explorers program and he loved it. Was voted “top cop” out of 150 kids at that program. He was on his way. He’s a true asset to his community serving proudly.

Almost lost him here. Was shot at point blank and by the grace of God she was the worst shot in the world. His video of this is used in training now because of how exceptional he handled it. Everything as he learned

Basically hold your son for as long as you can because when these times change you would give anything for one time having them fall asleep in your arms

You’re gonna be a great dad

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Pensacola Beach air show was last weekend. A professional photographer got this shot of the sneak pass over the pier. If you look closely, you can see the other solo approaching for the other sneak pass, directly below the tail end of the first jet.

FB_IMG_1721260779718.jpg

In the November homecoming show the Blues and Thunderbirds will be performing together. They're not often at the same show. I wouldn't mind going to Pensacola to see that.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Sadly they can’t bottle that feeling. It goes really quick too. Blink of an eye. Seems he went right from my arms to getting shot at in drug raids. Sucks.

As he grows encourage all of his interests. My son always wanted to be an ice cream man. So we would stop the trucks and the people would love his stories and let him on and show him the ice cream and let him sit behind the wheel

Then it was bus driver. Used to ride the busses with him and get car sick lol. He would sit next to the driver and learn all the tricks

Then it was pilot. Would take him on flights and he would see the pilots after and they would show him around. We would go to the local airport and see them take off abd land. I bought him the flight simulator program and bought all the instruments and made him his own cockpit. He spend hours on cross country flights

He loves the civil war so we went to a reinactment and camped in 30 degree weather eating hard tack and drinking water. Learning all the formations and using muskets. Was great

Then was police officer. Bought him a scanner and when a call came in used to go to the scene and watch procedure. Signed him up for an explorers program and he loved it. Was voted “top cop” out of 150 kids at that program. He was on his way. He’s a true asset to his community serving proudly.

Almost lost him here. Was shot at point blank and by the grace of God she was the worst shot in the world. His video of this is used in training now because of how exceptional he handled it. Everything as he learned

Basically hold your son for as long as you can because when these times change you would give anything for one time having them fall asleep in your arms

You’re gonna be a great dad
This made me emotional. My gosh we have some of the best human beings here. Thanks Lou.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
3 months paternity leave starts Friday - my loves, what shall I accomplish during this once in a lifetime career break

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?
anything around the house.
when covid kept me home i saved about 8 grand and painted my house with a 28 foot ladder and beer. it was glorious.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Pensacola Beach air show was last weekend. A professional photographer got this shot of the sneak pass over the pier. If you look closely, you can see the other solo approaching for the other sneak pass, directly below the tail end of the first jet.

View attachment 895589

In the November homecoming show the Blues and Thunderbirds will be performing together. They're not often at the same show. I wouldn't mind going to Pensacola to see that.
Blues are based at Pensacola.... they'll be at Brunswick Landing within the month or so (8/3-4/2024).... which is the old NAS Brunswick....

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My legs are still not used to all the walking I have to do every day. I think it is time for some new shoes. Does anyone wear sketchers and if so, do you like them? I am looking for support but also lightweight because it is hot as satan's balls here.

Reactions: eightspokedb

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My legs are still not used to all the walking I have to do every day. I think it is time for some new shoes. Does anyone wear sketchers and if so, do you like them? I am looking for support but also lightweight because it is hot as satan's balls here.

I have a pair of Skechers walking shoes and I highly recommend them. They've got great support but they're very comfortable as well. Pricey but worth it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I have a pair of Skechers walking shoes and I highly recommend them. They've got great support but they're very comfortable as well. Pricey but worth it.

Same here. I have multiple pairs of Skechers. Very comfy as Betsy says and I agree worth the $.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010

I have been wearing On Cloud shoes for a few years now, and they are very comfortable, supportive and lightweight, but are very pricey as well. I look for them on sale on eBay or Poshmark, and I wear them whenever I do not need to wear something warmer or heavier.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

I swear by Asics. Anything GEL from them is arguably the most comfortable sneaker, personally I go with the GEL Venture. Tons of support (I have a high arch and no issues with them), fully breathable and lightweight. Best of all they're only $50 on Amazon

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
I swear by Asics. Anything GEL from them is arguably the most comfortable sneaker, personally I go with the GEL Venture. Tons of support (I have a high arch and no issues with them), fully breathable and lightweight. Best of all they're only $50 on Amazon
I am also an ASICS guy, very comfortable and I can walk long distances without being in pain. I also have a large foot (I wear a 15 D) and I can consistently find ASICS in my size.

Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
First season of travel softball wraps up this weekend for my youngest. It's been a really interesting ride and she's developed her skills so much in this season. I recall there were a few other parents here that have done this with softball or other sports, so I was hoping to get some feedback. Every season is considered it's own thing and you have to try out for the team every year and earn your spot back. That being said, her current program is good, but there are other programs that want her to join up and are looking at her as a key player. Do you stick with what you know or do you take a leap of faith for possible greener pastures? I tend to want to show loyalty to the people that gave her the initial shot, but the way the sport is set up, it doesn't seem like that's a two way street. I've also seen a fair bit of favoritism and daddy ball bullshit this season, but since this was her first year in travel, we just watched and didn't comment or voice concerns. Other parents did, but it still left me feeling a little conflicted. Her current coach is only going to be an assistant next season with a new coach moving up from 10u and bringing his twin daughters and another coach with a kid as well. So my fear is that if daddy ball is a thing with this organization, what kind of shake will my daughter get even if she's been in on the team for a year, should she make it again?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I've bought the same pair of Under Armour sneakers the past few years and I love them but the only downside to those is if you even look at water or dew on the grass they're instantly soaked, but I guess that goes for most sneakers.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
First season of travel softball wraps up this weekend for my youngest. It's been a really interesting ride and she's developed her skills so much in this season. I recall there were a few other parents here that have done this with softball or other sports, so I was hoping to get some feedback. Every season is considered it's own thing and you have to try out for the team every year and earn your spot back. That being said, her current program is good, but there are other programs that want her to join up and are looking at her as a key player. Do you stick with what you know or do you take a leap of faith for possible greener pastures? I tend to want to show loyalty to the people that gave her the initial shot, but the way the sport is set up, it doesn't seem like that's a two way street. I've also seen a fair bit of favoritism and daddy ball bullshit this season, but since this was her first year in travel, we just watched and didn't comment or voice concerns. Other parents did, but it still left me feeling a little conflicted. Her current coach is only going to be an assistant next season with a new coach moving up from 10u and bringing his twin daughters and another coach with a kid as well. So my fear is that if daddy ball is a thing with this organization, what kind of shake will my daughter get even if she's been in on the team for a year, should she make it again?
I'm actually likely getting into coaching for fastball next summer. I've been kicking tires on it for the last few years and think I have something to offer in that regard I've played at a high level growing up (spent ages 10-23 pitching and then heading to CF when pitching started taking its toll) We played the U19 North American Fastball Championships in PEI back in 2009 - We have really, really good ball players up here but were allowed to scoop up 4 out of province players because our player pool was so low. We grabbed a catcher from Saskatchewan, a pitcher from Ontario (This guy was 6'5'', 220 and was PISSED he was cut from Ontario and ended up going into full psycho mode on the mound. Easily our MVP) and two guys from BC. One of the best times of my life - The games were crazy, we played New Zealand, USA, PEI and Newfoundland and went 2-2 and never lost by more than 1 run. The game against New Zealand was 2-1 and it was the best ball game I've ever been apart of. We ended up losing the main side of the tournament due to run differential and then ended up winning the other bracket.

I've noticed there's a lot of that going on here with minor fastball. It's basically all the parents coaching and babying everyone and it's honestly super frustrating especially if these players want to get better to travel south for tournaments.

If there are coaches who think your kid is a key player, I definitely go that route if they're super passionate about getting better and wanting to contribute in a bigger way rather than spin tires in the current system.

We had a bunch of that when I played in my teens. We always had to take 2-3 weaker players because their parents were either involved in the coaching or were a sponsor and it actually ended up costing us some tournaments. We'd have 6-7 strong players and 2-3 weak players that had to play, and it was just crazy frustrating. A few years later they ripped apart the management and took the best possible players, no favoritism bullshit.

All in all, take the leap. If you think she'd benefit you do it every day of the week. May I ask how old they are? That's a factor too. Definitely go the route where you think they have the best chances to play at a high level because when I say those high caliber, high level games are simply the best... they really are.

Last edited:

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Ultra-rare orange lobster destined for Colorado aquarium is accidentally delivered to Red Lobster restaurant​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad