OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get that you want the best for your daughter, and she probably wants to pursue this as far as it can go.

But, I hope she's playing because she enjoys it and appreciates all the good things that spring from team sports.

I also hope she plays other sports, which is not only a way to develop well-rounded athletic skills, but also a way to have fun doing what she loves.

Beware travel.
While I grew up playing every sport and rolling into whatever sport headlined the season we were in, that’s simply not really the case anymore. Kids specialize in a sport for the most part. She did do cross country as well but it was all an angle to improve her running so she could be a better base stealer in softball. lol.

Between school, travel, town and pickup games Shes played over 60 games this season and has 5-7 more left tgis weekend. She loves it and she lives it. This is what she wants to do. I put zero pressure on her nor do I mandate anything, but I can tell you right now she’s in my backyard practicing. And she’s been like this since she was 8.

I think it depends on how old your daughter is. If memory serves, I think she's 10-12? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think at that age, my priorities would be:
a. Which team will be the most fun to play for?
b. Will my kid get to play regularly, and will she get to play multiple positions?
c. Is the coach a teacher, or just a guy who's looking to win with his best players?

I think at that age, skill development and having fun is still way more important than results. Granted, its more fun winning than losing, but it still kinda sucks if your team wins and you're stuck on the bench or relegated to playing garbage innings.

If you’re unsure of the situation, I'd lean toward whichever option gets your kid the most playing time. You can't get better if you're not on the field. Especially when it comes to the mental side of the game, and situational play. There's a time and a place for cut-throat baseball/softball, but not until you hit the high school level. Prior to that, it’s about fun, playing time, making mistakes and learning from them. My 2 cents.
Good memory. She’s 12. Her team now is good and all about developing players. She loves it, but there’s a new coach coming in next year so it may change.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Good memory. She’s 12. Her team now is good and all about developing players. She loves it, but there’s a new coach coming in next year so it may change.
If that's the case, then I'd stick with the current team for another year and give the new coach a chance. If you change teams you're going to end up with a new coach anyway.

Best of luck either way....

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
While I grew up playing every sport and rolling into whatever sport headlined the season we were in, that’s simply not really the case anymore. Kids specialize in a sport for the most part. She did do cross country as well but it was all an angle to improve her running so she could be a better base stealer in softball. lol.

Between school, travel, town and pickup games Shes played over 60 games this season and has 5-7 more left tgis weekend. She loves it and she lives it. This is what she wants to do. I put zero pressure on her nor do I mandate anything, but I can tell you right now she’s in my backyard practicing. And she’s been like this since she was 8.

As long as she loves it and she's doing it for that reason.

The specialization of youth sports has been detrimental, in my view.

Two of my nieces played lacrosse - one of them was captain of the Northwestern championship team in 2004 - as well as travel hockey.

It's a huge commitment for all involved in time, money, and effort.

Again, as long as she loves it and gets the best out of team sports, that's what matters.

The bright side of kids sports today is that girls have become full participants. That's a fabulous development. Girls have female athletes whom they idolize and seek to emulate.

We are certainly not there yet as a society, but the idea is that anyone can be whatever they want to be.

And that's a good thing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The road just keeps getting harder. My job called me yesterday and said they didnt think it was working out. Which TBH I didnt feel like I fit anyways. Its like the servers and kitchen all gel together even when there is a new person. Me I was all by my lonesome. I also feel they didnt need me since its not the busy season and I went from 35 hours to 20 and saw other hours also go down. Ah well it was a learning experience and they said they will write me a good reference. I see Frito Lay is having a hiring event maybe going back to a job with steady hours maybe it.

Then I found out that the girls and their mom lied to me for idk how long. Was scrolling thru the photo gallery on my phone and on videos and photos now there are locations. Well watched a video I was sent of the baby and location said “las vegas” another one of the photos the girls sent me said the same thing. Then looked at the area code of one of the girls numbers and its Vegas.

Theres more im not typing but blocked all their numbers. Smh no wonder they always flaked and I never saw em they lied. Liars like their mom. Sad…….

Another learning experience

But at 38 almost 39 idk if I will ever experience a good job and have my own family.

Another life maybe
Sorry to hear you’re going through a lot of shit right now. That sucks but you’ll come out the other side stronger. You got this man.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
legendary Business analyst Lou Dobbs... who was there when CNN debuted in 1980.... then helped Fox start their Business Network has passed at 78 as of 5 pm this afternoon....

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Some questions that come to mind today:

1) In honour of the great Bob Newhart passing, name your favourite comedian, whether alive or not.

2) I'm taking your order, what would your perfect breakfast include (details please)?

3) Have you ever seen and touched the Stanley Cup, were you lucky enough to see it with a Bruin?

4) Name a band or artist whose music you cannot tolerate but is popular.

5) Are you a city or country mouse? Do you love the hustle & bustle of the city or hate it?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1) In honour of the great Bob Newhart passing, name your favourite comedian, whether alive or not.

George Carlin

2) I'm taking your order, what would your perfect breakfast include (details please)?

2eggs over easy, corned beef hash crispy, home fries, wheat toast, coffee.

3) Have you ever seen and touched the Stanley Cup, were you lucky enough to see it with a Bruin?

Seen, not touched though.

Any kind of rap.

5) Are you a city or country mouse? Do you love the hustle & bustle of the city or hate it?

Hate cities. My love is small harbor towns.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

1) Anything Larry David

2) Two Eggs Over easy, Some kind of Potato, Rye toast, ham

3) Yes, a good friend won it in 2011 while working in the Bruins front office (still does). Only rule was dont put it above your head

4) My family and State will kill me but I find Noah Kahan whiny and depressing for how much of a rich kid he was growing up. Maybe his concert live stream tonight with change that, but probably not.

5) I am a rare breed that likes both, kind of a ying and yang type thing. But I HATE the suburbs. It't the worst of both worlds. Drive everywhere but its still congested, maintain a yard that is all for show and doesn't produce food, etc. If i could teleport to work in Boston I would, there is nothing like the energy of working in the city. Working rurally is nice too because you can just leave whenever you want, but the talent is not the same. My own personal hell? Working in an office park on 95 or 495.

Unfortunately, after surveying all the cities in New England, the only one where you knew where your kid was going to go to school, aka not a lottery, was Bangor, ME which was too far for us so we decided to go rural. Sometimes I wish we went with Somerville because at this rate with all the tech kids, it will be the top high school in MA very soon.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

1. George Carlin

2. A waffle with real maple syrup and black tea

3. After the 2011 cup win I hugged that cup

4. rap music

5. Love to be close enough to go to Boston. I would love to live on a nice clean lake or the ocean. I live in a small town with woods behind me...it is quiet.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

1) Don Rickles

2) 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, a side of bacon, and a chocolate chip pancake

3) I got my picture taken with the Cup after 2011, and yes I touched it

4) any modern country music

5) I grew up in Boston so I’m very used to it. I live in the sticks now and while I enjoy it here, I’m still not used to it.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

George Carlin, John Candy

Eggs over medium, CRISPY bacon, french toast real maple syrup, home fries no green peppers

No

Rascal Flatts ....conuntrys boy band.....and that stupid song that goes.....
lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo

HATE the city.....if you can't pee of the deck the neighbors are too close
My back yard now KIMG0610.JPGKIMG0609.JPG

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

1. Buddy Hackett
2. Belgian waffle with crispy bacon and rye toast with butter
3. No
4. Pink Floyd
5. Was born in Hells Kitchen NYC but moved to the country at 6 and been there since. I love NYC though. I would def live there if I could afford it, greatest city in the world

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

1. Mel Brooks

2. Scrambled eggs, lightly cooked bacon, a side of pancakes & orange juice.

3. Never.

4. I don't like today's music period. It sounds more like Muzak than music. :wally:

5. Definitely a country mouse.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland

First season of travel softball wraps up this weekend for my youngest. It's been a really interesting ride and she's developed her skills so much in this season. I recall there were a few other parents here that have done this with softball or other sports, so I was hoping to get some feedback. Every season is considered its own thing and you have to try out for the team every year and earn your spot back. That being said, her current program is good, but there are other programs that want her to join up and are looking at her as a key player. Do you stick with what you know or do you take a leap of faith for possible greener pastures? I tend to want to show loyalty to the people that gave her the initial shot, but the way the sport is set up, it doesn't seem like that's a two way street. I've also seen a fair bit of favoritism and daddy ball bullshit this season, but since this was her first year in travel, we just watched and didn't comment or voice concerns. Other parents did, but it still left me feeling a little conflicted. Her current coach is only going to be an assistant next season with a new coach moving up from 10u and bringing his twin daughters and another coach with a kid as well. So my fear is that if daddy ball is a thing with this organization, what kind of shake will my daughter get even if she's been in on the team for a year, should she make it again?
Go where she’s wanted and seen as a key piece, especially if the coach knows what they’re doing, which should be development and having fun.

My 10-year-old son got cut from a BHL American North team, despite being the fifth leading scorer on the team. He’s now on an EHL team that missed upper gold in parity, but has a coach who teaches and isn’t trying to win with an all-star roster. While I have some concerns about the competition level not being high enough, he’s with a coach who will elevate his play and hockey knowledge. That’s a huge plus in my book, one that supersedes the concerns.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

1. Mitch Hedberg, easily.

2. 2 eggs over medium, 2 spicy chourico patties, shredded potatoes very crispy, rye toast with butter

3. Saw the Cup at the 2011 parade and 2012 opening night, touched the replica at the HHOF

4. Beyonce

5. Country. The further away from people I can get the better.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

1. Stand up comedy is a huge love of mine in general. In fact, I've been thinking about developing my own routine, at least in a written sense - and maybe, one day, actually trying my hand at it. Those who are familiar with my antics here won't be surprised to learn I prefer edgy comedy, controversial comedy - I truly think comedy is a healing force for humanity and there's very little I feel is out of bounds when done in the right way. Favourites include Louis CK, George Carlin, Norm MacDonald, Ricky Gervais, Dave Chappelle, Jim Jefferies.

2. Eggs sunny side up, well-cooked pork sausage, slightly undercooked bacon, refried potatoes - not those gross cube things some joints try to pass off - baked beans, coffee and chocolate milk.

3. No.

4. The Black Keys

5. I work in the city, and could never live there, I'd be suffocated. The more space the better - I love the way @shelbysdad described it - if I can't pee off the deck, the neighbours are too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad