OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
The road just keeps getting harder. My job called me yesterday and said they didnt think it was working out. Which TBH I didnt feel like I fit anyways. Its like the servers and kitchen all gel together even when there is a new person. Me I was all by my lonesome. I also feel they didnt need me since its not the busy season and I went from 35 hours to 20 and saw other hours also go down. Ah well it was a learning experience and they said they will write me a good reference. I see Frito Lay is having a hiring event maybe going back to a job with steady hours maybe it.

Then I found out that the girls and their mom lied to me for idk how long. Was scrolling thru the photo gallery on my phone and on videos and photos now there are locations. Well watched a video I was sent of the baby and location said “las vegas” another one of the photos the girls sent me said the same thing. Then looked at the area code of one of the girls numbers and its Vegas.

Theres more im not typing but blocked all their numbers. Smh no wonder they always flaked and I never saw em they lied. Liars like their mom. Sad…….

Another learning experience

But at 38 almost 39 idk if I will ever experience a good job and have my own family.

Another life maybe

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
lol.
oh yeah. I also power washed the whole back of the house before painting it. lol. Thats about 25 feet up on a sloped yard. Got stung 3x from hornets up there at the top. really safe. one hand on the power washer, and one on the ladder.
What hand for the beer? Were they the 9% voodoo Rangers at least? :laugh:

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
In the November homecoming show the Blues and Thunderbirds will be performing together. They're not often at the same show. I wouldn't mind going to Pensacola to see that.
Thanks for posting this. I will have to make plans to be there.

Reactions: Bruinaura

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
The road just keeps getting harder. My job called me yesterday and said they didnt think it was working out. Which TBH I didnt feel like I fit anyways. Its like the servers and kitchen all gel together even when there is a new person. Me I was all by my lonesome. I also feel they didnt need me since its not the busy season and I went from 35 hours to 20 and saw other hours also go down. Ah well it was a learning experience and they said they will write me a good reference. I see Frito Lay is having a hiring event maybe going back to a job with steady hours maybe it.

Then I found out that the girls and their mom lied to me for idk how long. Was scrolling thru the photo gallery on my phone and on videos and photos now there are locations. Well watched a video I was sent of the baby and location said “las vegas” another one of the photos the girls sent me said the same thing. Then looked at the area code of one of the girls numbers and its Vegas.

Theres more im not typing but blocked all their numbers. Smh no wonder they always flaked and I never saw em they lied. Liars like their mom. Sad…….

But at 38 almost 39 idk if I will ever experience a good job and have my own family.

Another life maybe

Have you looking into the apprentice programs again? Operating engineers?

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Have you looking into the apprentice programs again? Operating engineers?

YEEEEEARS ago a Plummer was willing to apprentice me but I was busy working and didnt know if there would be pay. Ive used machines for years in warehouses. Dont really want to go back to that. Id love a career but I never know where to start and feel old.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
First season of travel softball wraps up this weekend for my youngest. It's been a really interesting ride and she's developed her skills so much in this season. I recall there were a few other parents here that have done this with softball or other sports, so I was hoping to get some feedback. Every season is considered it's own thing and you have to try out for the team every year and earn your spot back. That being said, her current program is good, but there are other programs that want her to join up and are looking at her as a key player. Do you stick with what you know or do you take a leap of faith for possible greener pastures? I tend to want to show loyalty to the people that gave her the initial shot, but the way the sport is set up, it doesn't seem like that's a two way street. I've also seen a fair bit of favoritism and daddy ball bullshit this season, but since this was her first year in travel, we just watched and didn't comment or voice concerns. Other parents did, but it still left me feeling a little conflicted. Her current coach is only going to be an assistant next season with a new coach moving up from 10u and bringing his twin daughters and another coach with a kid as well. So my fear is that if daddy ball is a thing with this organization, what kind of shake will my daughter get even if she's been in on the team for a year, should she make it again?

If the new coaches are bringing their kids to the team then chances are better than even favoritism will rule the day. I saw this with my nephew's baseball travel team. If another program really wants your daughter IMO she should try out for them after you've done a little investigation of your own.

Reactions: Alicat and Mione134

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

Another life maybe
Find a good niche man, 38-39 years old is still relatively young. Do any trades interest you? I wish you the best.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Damn. We were just at the drive-in last week. The original Lion King was showing. My son is a fan (pictured here with the Missus).

My first visit to a drive-in was 1974 or '75.

A double feature of Dirty Harry and Magnum Force.

I was ten or eleven.

My friend's mother, who had agreed to chauffer, was aghast and furious when discovering the adult content of said flicks.

That was it for the drive-in.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
YEEEEEARS ago a Plummer was willing to apprentice me but I was busy working and didnt know if there would be pay. Ive used machines for years in warehouses. Dont really want to go back to that. Id love a career but I never know where to start and feel old.
We have a CNC machining company that hired a ton of kitchen staff during COVID. google "advanced manufacturing" and see if there are any near you.

Also, i have found banks are a good way to start at the bottom and work your way out of a teller position and into something else. Plus they usually have vacation, benefits, etc.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
First season of travel softball wraps up this weekend for my youngest. It's been a really interesting ride and she's developed her skills so much in this season. I recall there were a few other parents here that have done this with softball or other sports, so I was hoping to get some feedback. Every season is considered it's own thing and you have to try out for the team every year and earn your spot back. That being said, her current program is good, but there are other programs that want her to join up and are looking at her as a key player. Do you stick with what you know or do you take a leap of faith for possible greener pastures? I tend to want to show loyalty to the people that gave her the initial shot, but the way the sport is set up, it doesn't seem like that's a two way street. I've also seen a fair bit of favoritism and daddy ball bullshit this season, but since this was her first year in travel, we just watched and didn't comment or voice concerns. Other parents did, but it still left me feeling a little conflicted. Her current coach is only going to be an assistant next season with a new coach moving up from 10u and bringing his twin daughters and another coach with a kid as well. So my fear is that if daddy ball is a thing with this organization, what kind of shake will my daughter get even if she's been in on the team for a year, should she make it again?
I think it depends on how old your daughter is. If memory serves, I think she's 10-12? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think at that age, my priorities would be:
a. Which team will be the most fun to play for?
b. Will my kid get to play regularly, and will she get to play multiple positions?
c. Is the coach a teacher, or just a guy who's looking to win with his best players?

I think at that age, skill development and having fun is still way more important than results. Granted, its more fun winning than losing, but it still kinda sucks if your team wins and you're stuck on the bench or relegated to playing garbage innings.

If your unsure of the situation, I'd lean toward whichever option gets your kid the most playing time. You can't get better if you're not on the field. Especially when it comes to the mental side of the game, and situational play. There's a time and a place for cut-throat baseball/softball, but not until you hit the high school level. Prior to that, its about fun, playing time, making mistakes and learning from them. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Another life maybe
A while back my then-brother in law had a warehouse gig at Frito-Lay. Union work, just loading and unloading trucks all day with boxes of deliciously salty snacks. Pay was great, union backing, but hours could be long.

It's certainly worth checking out if you are looking for a change of pace. Keep the food service thing in your back pocket still. You just never know.

Reactions: rfournier103

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think it depends on how old your daughter is. If memory serves, I think she's 10-12? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think at that age, my priorities would be:
a. Which team will be the most fun to play for?
b. Will my kid get to play regularly, and will she get to play multiple positions?
c. Is the coach a teacher, or just a guy who's looking to win with his best players?

I think at that age, skill development and having fun is still way more important than results. Granted, its more fun winning than losing, but it still kinda sucks if your team wins and you're stuck on the bench or relegated to playing garbage innings.

If your unsure of the situation, I'd lean toward whichever option gets your kid the most playing time. You can't get better if you're not on the field. My 2 cents.
Yep. All of this factors in, but priority #1 is making sure the kid enjoys the game.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Pensacola Beach air show was last weekend. A professional photographer got this shot of the sneak pass over the pier. If you look closely, you can see the other solo approaching for the other sneak pass, directly below the tail end of the first jet.

View attachment 895589

In the November homecoming show the Blues and Thunderbirds will be performing together. They're not often at the same show. I wouldn't mind going to Pensacola to see that.

Isn't that a bit dangerous for those on the pier?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I get that you want the best for your daughter, and she probably wants to pursue this as far as it can go.

But, I hope she's playing because she enjoys it and appreciates all the good things that spring from team sports.

I also hope she plays other sports, which is not only a way to develop well-rounded athletic skills, but also a way to have fun doing what she loves.

Beware travel.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
lol.
oh yeah. I also power washed the whole back of the house before painting it. lol. Thats about 25 feet up on a sloped yard. Got stung 3x from hornets up there at the top. really safe. one hand on the power washer, and one on the ladder.

How did you hold the beer?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I finally found a picture of Mr. Hockey I'd been looking for.

This is certainly not the entirety of his game, but a goodly portion of it,

Photo One,

1721330412149.jpeg

Photo Two,

1721330623568.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I wasn't around for The Buttoned-Down Mind of Bob Newhart (1960), but enjoyed both of his long running, successful sit-coms. He was also an absolute scream (in his buttoned-down way) guesting memorably on The Big Bang Theory as Arthur Jeffries, aka Professor Proton.

As some may know, Newhart and his wife Ginnie were great friends of Don Rickles and his wife, Barbara.

Sleep well, Bob. It appears you had a full and happy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad