OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Serious question, how are airlines allowed to get away with bullshit that they pull?

Later this year the lady friend has a trip to Greece. No issues with the flight out there. Coming back, yikes. She booked this quite a while ago, and just recently her flight out of Greece is delayed an hour. OK, tolerable. Then the stop is moved from NY to Chicago, getting a little more annoying now. Then the layover gets extended to over 4 hours. Quick math, that's another 3 hours or so in the air, and 5 hours on the ground.

She took a look at her options, and because the date is fast approaching she's sort of stuck. There are other flights out of Athens that stick to the original plan through NY, but she still gets in at the 8+ hours delay because of a longer layover and delayed Athens departure.

The best part in all of this, months ago when she booked the flights, $2400 round trip for 2 people. The only other option American gives her is that 8 hour delay....7 grand

I don't understand how it's not only legal, but just generally acceptable behavior. "Cool, give us thousands, you can't change anything, ever, unless you give is another 200%, but we can and will change your shit around as many times as we please and you can't do a damn thing about it. No, we don't care about your travel plans. Take it, or don't. Either way, you aren't getting back a dime."

I don't get it. I never will. Add it to the list of why I don't do planes. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Serious question, how are airlines allowed to get away with bullshit that they pull?

Later this year the lady friend has a trip to Greece. No issues with the flight out there. Coming back, yikes. She booked this quite a while ago, and just recently her flight out of Greece is delayed an hour. OK, tolerable. Then the stop is moved from NY to Chicago, getting a little more annoying now. Then the layover gets extended to over 4 hours. Quick math, that's another 3 hours or so in the air, and 5 hours on the ground.

She took a look at her options, and because the date is fast approaching she's sort of stuck. There are other flights out of Athens that stick to the original plan through NY, but she still gets in at the 8+ hours delay because of a longer layover and delayed Athens departure.

The best part in all of this, months ago when she booked the flights, $2400 round trip for 2 people. The only other option American gives her is that 8 hour delay....7 grand

I don't understand how it's not only legal, but just generally acceptable behavior. "Cool, give us thousands, you can't change anything, ever, unless you give is another 200%, but we can and will change your shit around as many times as we please and you can't do a damn thing about it. No, we don't care about your travel plans. Take it, or don't. Either way, you aren't getting back a dime."

I don't get it. I never will. Add it to the list of why I don't do planes. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

FWIW she'll be happy about the additional layover time. Getting through customs and making your connection can be hell on earth

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
3 months paternity leave starts Friday - my loves, what shall I accomplish during this once in a lifetime career break

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
3 months paternity leave starts Friday - my loves, what shall I accomplish during this once in a lifetime career break

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?
take care of yourself. Shit gets pretty wild. I'd focus on some healthy habits and do your damn best to sustain them once you return to work.

Most important though, enjoy it and don't wish it away. All the clichés are real

FWIW she'll be happy about the additional layover time. Getting through customs and making your connection can be hell on earth
She's furious lol.

I'd be calling up the doc for a refill on the Ativan, but she's a seasoned vet

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?

Take care of any big household chores that need to be done and get rid of anything you don't need or want, because space gets eaten up real fast as kids get older.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?
You will not have three months to do anything for yourself. That’s pure fantasy, my friend. All three above suggestions are excellent. Emphasize getting into a routine you’ll be able to maintain once you return to work, as well as preparing to be overrun with “stuff.”

Take as many naps as possible, because your sleep routine will likely change dramatically.

Be present, supportive and involved as much as possible for both baby and mom. They need you.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?

Spend all the time you can with the boy. Its time that can never be recaptured All those other things can be done anytime.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I don't think I was clear - the entire point of paternity is for my son, yes.

That said - I am also treating it as a 2/3 career reset. To take care of myself (and my family) in ways that I've let lag due to climbing the ladder.

Also Dan, hold him as much as you physically can. Let him rest on your shoulder and chest as often as possible.

dude, this is the absolute best feeling isn't it

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

shall i write?

meditate?

eat clean?

exercise?

learn an instrument?

take a course?
Damn, times have changed for the better. I missed one day off for 3 kids being born, because the missus was in labor all day with our 3rd. The first two came quick, at the 3 am hour.

I hadn't gotten very far in my career for the first two, so if I didn't work, I didn't get paid. I had a part-time law job and was also working in a restaurant. For the first three weeks after my oldest was born, I worked every day.

I was still able to spend what felt like a great deal of time with her. I'll never forget those first few weeks.

I don't say this alot, but take EM's advice. :laugh: Take care of stuff around the house now, and spend as much time as you can with your child. I used to read to my kids starting at childbirth, and they loved story time all through childhood.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm here for all the dudes becoming puddles when discussing newborns.

Real men!

Damn, times have changed for the better. I missed one day off for 3 kids being born, because the missus was in labor all day with our 3rd. The first two came quick, at the 3 am hour.

I hadn't gotten very far in my career for the first two, so if I didn't work, I didn't get paid. I had a part-time law job and was also working in a restaurant. For the first three weeks after my oldest was born, I worked every day.

I was still able to spend what felt like a great deal of time with her. I'll never forget those first few weeks.

I don't say this alot, but take EM's advice. :laugh: Take care of stuff around the house now, and spend as much time as you can with your child. I used to read to my kids starting at childbirth, and they loved story time all through childhood.
I was literally just thinking about how my kids don't beg for story time at night any more. Getting old sucks. I did however, get to carry them all to bed recently, and it turned my cold dead heart into mush. Oddly enough, my youngest is the biggest, by far. Kid is a 9 year old Panzer Tank

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
@NeelyDan did you ever end up buying a place in the woods? Are you going to chill there for the time?

we were supposed to pull the trigger today, actually, on 32 acres in northern ontario

we backed out, though. after thinking through everything - the death of our two beloved dogs, the arrival of Benny, my dad being ill, the tenuous hold I have on my very political job, and the claim that Jake DeBrusk is a loss that cannot be recovered from is too much to deal with as it is without adding a move north to the mix

so we're planning on waiting a year

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
we were supposed to pull the trigger today, actually, on 32 acres in northern ontario

we backed out, though. after thinking through everything - the death of our two beloved dogs, the arrival of Benny, my dad being ill, the tenuous hold I have on my very political job, and the claim that Jake DeBrusk is a loss that cannot be recovered from is too much to deal with as it is without adding a move north to the mix

so we're planning on waiting a year
Makes sense, plus...

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Attachments

• Drive In.jpg
    Drive In.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This is true. When I went to Florida 2 years ago I had a layover in Washington DC. Damn good thing I needed just about all that time to get through security.

The friendly skies my ass. :rant: ✈️

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad