Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I dont think its a coaching/Torts problem. He is an easy lightning rod for the anger of the fanbase about years of futilty and worse not much near term hope for significant improvement. Sure he does some head scratchers but they dont move the needle as far as being a contender. AV Hakstol Torts are all professional hockey coaches with long resumes of success....until they come here. I wonder what the Flyers record under Snider was compared to Scott. Although the last few GMs were weak I beleive its a Comcast problem and until some really rich hockey nut buys the Flyers.....I like DB i hope he will become a good GM and get really lucky somehow.
Finding a decent coach is much easier than top 6 centers and 1 D's, obviously.

Reactions: mize370

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean for the most part i agree with what he's saying.

Although I don't agree with the tanking a season just for a pick.

And it's also hard to gauge how big of a leash torts has with the front office considering it is mostly a new one with hopefully a better plan forward.

Unless I heard wrong he claims that other coaches didn't get near a long leash as torts.

I mean AV was fired entering his 3rd year
Hakstol lasted until the start of his 4th year.

Hell the longest tenured coach for the Flyers was 7 years and it was shero. The average lifespan of a flyers coach is 3 to 4 years, so I don't get that part.

I also like how he mentions things like how in all his years covering the sport he has never seen xyz or whatever, but the dude is young as shit lol.

To me he kind of sounds like an angry fan venting his frustrations in that clip than anything.

Not hating on the guy, just my observation from watching this clip and never following him.

I must again point out that nothing about the front office is new. It is made entirely of the old one.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t necessarily blame Tortorella for the current on ice play. But at the same time there’s a subset of people whether that’s fans, media, the organization, Tortorella himself, etc. that love to give him credit for when things are going good so…

They’re ultimately picking up where they left off last year. The same issues for the most part are showing again & that’s probably an indictment of the roster.

Where I would more so criticize Tortorella is in fact for the roster construction which he has a say in. I’m sure as shit he’s probably had good in say in reasons as to why they haven’t traded certain players so far because of culture reasons.
I think it's less culture than "swiss cheese."

You saw what happened with Seeler out, whether E Johnson or promoting Zamula to 2nd pair.
Hathaway is one of their most consistent (if limited) forwards.
What bought Laughton time was probably the huge hole at center, Cout's injury history, etc.

It's not a matter of fielding a PO team, it's the desire to be competitive as a better environment for player development (losing hard fought games much better than getting blown out on a regular basis, as we've seen in this season's start).

Almost all the best prospects are either 20-21 in the AHL or in the CHL/SHL/KHL/NCAA.

So they're reluctant to part with second and third tier veterans until enough young players are NHL ready. And that may take 1-2 more years (how fast will Avon, Tuomaala, etc. develop, are Barkey, Bonk, etc. NHL ready next year or will they need AHL time, when will Ciernek et al. come to the US and so on).

They still have less 30 and older veterans than most if not all the other rebuilding teams.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
If they fire Torts they better bring in somebody good. Sick of revolving coaches. Letting Lavy go was a crime.
Lavy was a victim of the front office acquiring pre lockout style players for a post lockout style coach. Adding Nick Grossman to a Laviolette team is a clear example of what is wrong with the Flyers front office. It isn’t hard to know that Lavy’s system required puck moving defensemen yet the FO brought in defensive defenseman. (Using Chel player model presets).

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad