Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I dont think its a coaching/Torts problem. He is an easy lightning rod for the anger of the fanbase about years of futilty and worse not much near term hope for significant improvement. Sure he does some head scratchers but they dont move the needle as far as being a contender. AV Hakstol Torts are all professional hockey coaches with long resumes of success....until they come here. I wonder what the Flyers record under Snider was compared to Scott. Although the last few GMs were weak I beleive its a Comcast problem and until some really rich hockey nut buys the Flyers.....I like DB i hope he will become a good GM and get really lucky somehow.
Finding a decent coach is much easier than top 6 centers and 1 D's, obviously.

Reactions: Larry44 and mize370

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean for the most part i agree with what he's saying.

Although I don't agree with the tanking a season just for a pick.

And it's also hard to gauge how big of a leash torts has with the front office considering it is mostly a new one with hopefully a better plan forward.

Unless I heard wrong he claims that other coaches didn't get near a long leash as torts.

I mean AV was fired entering his 3rd year
Hakstol lasted until the start of his 4th year.

Hell the longest tenured coach for the Flyers was 7 years and it was shero. The average lifespan of a flyers coach is 3 to 4 years, so I don't get that part.

I also like how he mentions things like how in all his years covering the sport he has never seen xyz or whatever, but the dude is young as shit lol.

To me he kind of sounds like an angry fan venting his frustrations in that clip than anything.

Not hating on the guy, just my observation from watching this clip and never following him.

I must again point out that nothing about the front office is new. It is made entirely of the old one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t necessarily blame Tortorella for the current on ice play. But at the same time there’s a subset of people whether that’s fans, media, the organization, Tortorella himself, etc. that love to give him credit for when things are going good so…

They’re ultimately picking up where they left off last year. The same issues for the most part are showing again & that’s probably an indictment of the roster.

Where I would more so criticize Tortorella is in fact for the roster construction which he has a say in. I’m sure as shit he’s probably had good in say in reasons as to why they haven’t traded certain players so far because of culture reasons.
I think it's less culture than "swiss cheese."

You saw what happened with Seeler out, whether E Johnson or promoting Zamula to 2nd pair.
Hathaway is one of their most consistent (if limited) forwards.
What bought Laughton time was probably the huge hole at center, Cout's injury history, etc.

It's not a matter of fielding a PO team, it's the desire to be competitive as a better environment for player development (losing hard fought games much better than getting blown out on a regular basis, as we've seen in this season's start).

Almost all the best prospects are either 20-21 in the AHL or in the CHL/SHL/KHL/NCAA.

So they're reluctant to part with second and third tier veterans until enough young players are NHL ready. And that may take 1-2 more years (how fast will Avon, Tuomaala, etc. develop, are Barkey, Bonk, etc. NHL ready next year or will they need AHL time, when will Ciernek et al. come to the US and so on).

They still have less 30 and older veterans than most if not all the other rebuilding teams.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
If they fire Torts they better bring in somebody good. Sick of revolving coaches. Letting Lavy go was a crime.
Lavy was a victim of the front office acquiring pre lockout style players for a post lockout style coach. Adding Nick Grossman to a Laviolette team is a clear example of what is wrong with the Flyers front office. It isn’t hard to know that Lavy’s system required puck moving defensemen yet the FO brought in defensive defenseman. (Using Chel player model presets).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lavy was a victim of the front office acquiring pre lockout style players for a post lockout style coach. Adding Nick Grossman to a Laviolette team is a clear example of what is wrong with the Flyers front office. It isn’t hard to know that Lavy’s system required puck moving defensemen yet the FO brought in defensive defenseman. (Using Chel player model presets).

Lavi is the start of a pattern we see with every coach since; abandoning offensive attack that carries any risk in favor of heavy emphasis on defending and preventing goals. He didn't know how to reconcile any of it (though he did actually figure it out in Nashville/WAS); and the fact is that those players they got were theoretically suited for a meatshield style, but only if you follow the weird Hockeyguy notion that players who are bad at offense must be good at defense, and vice versa. Those guys just sucked no matter what you did with them or how you did it.

Berube ran a defensive shell with a very slow and deliberate transition that moved everyone up as a five man unit and had no quick strike ability, but in theory meant picking anything off for a fast counterattack was hard. Hakstol, well, we know how ridiculously low-risk that guy was. Both of them were less safe in their next gigs, more open offensively. They hired AV, and the second he hit a bump he did a thing he has never once done: pulled back his stretch hockey to try and be heavily defensive...with no cohesive defensive system, and despite having shown for years that he had no idea how to coach defense. It's impossible for me to believe that management wasn't shouting in all of their ears to coach that style. It keeps happening, even with two of the last coaches anyone thought would try it.

They'd basically been trying to be Tortorella at his NYR worst, with worse rosters, and so finally they stopped trying to get different coaches to pretend at it and went straight to the source.

And so here we are!

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think it's less culture than "swiss cheese."

You saw what happened with Seeler out, whether E Johnson or promoting Zamula to 2nd pair.
Hathaway is one of their most consistent (if limited) forwards.
What bought Laughton time was probably the huge hole at center, Cout's injury history, etc.

It's not a matter of fielding a PO team, it's the desire to be competitive as a better environment for player development (losing hard fought games much better than getting blown out on a regular basis, as we've seen in this season's start).

Almost all the best prospects are either 20-21 in the AHL or in the CHL/SHL/KHL/NCAA.

So they're reluctant to part with second and third tier veterans until enough young players are NHL ready. And that may take 1-2 more years (how fast will Avon, Tuomaala, etc. develop, are Barkey, Bonk, etc. NHL ready next year or will they need AHL time, when will Ciernek et al. come to the US and so on).

They still have less 30 and older veterans than most if not all the other rebuilding teams.
False they just flat out like those players and dont want to move them. You can always find a vet off the scrap heap to get you through the year.

Out of all the rebuilding teams. I will include the Flyers for this one. Where do you rank them in terms of who you think will have better future success and contend the quickest. Who has the better talent pool when combining NHL roster and prospects? Rank em.

Flyers, Sharks, Ducks, Chicago, Montreal, and Columbus

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Trading JVR for Luke Schenn was even more undermining...

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
False they just flat out like those players and dont want to move them. You can always find a vet off the scrap heap to get you through the year.

Out of all the rebuilding teams. I will include the Flyers for this one. Where do you rank them in terms of who you think will have better future success and contend the quickest. Who has the better talent pool when combining NHL roster and prospects? Rank em.

Flyers, Sharks, Ducks, Chicago, Montreal, and Columbus

Can I respond in 3-4 years? Just in terms of prospect pool, I would rank CBJ and Flyers 4 and 5 of that group.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ask me after the 2025 draft, those teams started earlier.
Basically a rebuild gets one or two deep drafts after you trade veterans and accumulate draft picks.

The reason Flyer coaches tended to go into "shells" was lack of talent after 2012.

When you have firepower spread over 3 lines and a reliable goalie who can stop his share of odd man rushes, you can play a more aggressive style.

When you have one scoring line and you're not confident in your goalie you play it safe and hope to steal points.

Not rocket science.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The exchange between Tortorella and Seeler from last night’s game was noted in today’s Inky. Sounds like the players have had their fill of the coach trying to put every failure on them. Even the casual fan can see the lack of cohesion that is taking place on the ice due to poor coaching. MM starts the game on a line with Couturier and Foerster. Next thing he’s being flipped out there with Konecny and Frost. It’s impossible to build lines when they’re constantly being shuffled. Then folks wonder why there are missed opportunities and blown coverages. The team looks like a mess because the guy behind the bench is one.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The exchange between Tortorella and Seeler from last night’s game was noted in today’s Inky. Sounds like the players have had their fill of the coach trying to put every failure on them. Even the casual fan can see the lack of cohesion that is taking place on the ice due to poor coaching. MM starts the game on a line with Couturier and Foerster. Next thing he’s being flipped out there with Konecny and Frost. It’s impossible to build lines when they’re constantly being shuffled. Then folks wonder why there are missed opportunities and blown coverages. The team looks like a mess because the guy behind the bench is one.

Bingo. Line chemistry is extremely important in the D zone..not just the O zone.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I figure he's trying out guys to see what works and what doesn't and he's also trying to push buttons.

Three things I think are true for me so far:
1. Zamula is a #7
2. If you are going with Ersson, bring in a vet goalie. With Annunen taking over, Kahkonen or Georgiev would be a better vet than Kolosov and Fedotov.
3. If you are keeping Luchanko and bringing him in slowly, staple him to Couturier to swap on the 3rd line and bring him along that way.

Foerster Laughton* Konecny
Farabee Frost Michkov
Couturier Luchanko Tippett
Cates Poeling Hathaway
Deslauriers

Sanheim Ristolainen*
Seeler Drysdale
York Andrae
Zamula

Ersson
Kahkonen/Georgiev

*I get they shouldn't be there

Last edited:

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Russ Joy letting it loose on Torts

Huge news. When you've lost Russ Joy, well, you've lost Russ Joy. That surely counts for something minuscule.

Seriously, there is only one person's opinion that matters here, and as long as that person idolizes BSB vibes over actual success, no amount of discontent will dislodge the Spiritual Leader.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ask me after the 2025 draft, those teams started earlier.
Basically a rebuild gets one or two deep drafts after you trade veterans and accumulate draft picks.

The reason Flyer coaches tended to go into "shells" was lack of talent after 2012.

When you have firepower spread over 3 lines and a reliable goalie who can stop his share of odd man rushes, you can play a more aggressive style.

When you have one scoring line and you're not confident in your goalie you play it safe and hope to steal points.

Not rocket science.
Why do you have a hard time admitting the Flyers are an incompetent organization?

Reactions: Embiid

Stop the Madness

Nov 27, 2017
Lavi is the start of a pattern we see with every coach since; abandoning offensive attack that carries any risk in favor of heavy emphasis on defending and preventing goals. He didn't know how to reconcile any of it (though he did actually figure it out in Nashville/WAS); and the fact is that those players they got were theoretically suited for a meatshield style, but only if you follow the weird Hockeyguy notion that players who are bad at offense must be good at defense, and vice versa. Those guys just sucked no matter what you did with them or how you did it.

Berube ran a defensive shell with a very slow and deliberate transition that moved everyone up as a five man unit and had no quick strike ability, but in theory meant picking anything off for a fast counterattack was hard. Hakstol, well, we know how ridiculously low-risk that guy was. Both of them were less safe in their next gigs, more open offensively. They hired AV, and the second he hit a bump he did a thing he has never once done: pulled back his stretch hockey to try and be heavily defensive...with no cohesive defensive system, and despite having shown for years that he had no idea how to coach defense. It's impossible for me to believe that management wasn't shouting in all of their ears to coach that style. It keeps happening, even with two of the last coaches anyone thought would try it.

They'd basically been trying to be Tortorella at his NYR worst, with worse rosters, and so finally they stopped trying to get different coaches to pretend at it and went straight to the source.

And so here we are!

Good write up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad