Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Someone tagged me and I responded. Trust me. I don’t worry about it. I have no problem debating the topics. Most people in the media or that do what I do wouldn’t respond. I am a big boy. I can handle it.

While I appreciate the exercise in defense, much like Ristolainen's 4 minute shift the other day, I don't really see much in the way of debate. It seems more like carefully orchestrated non-debate. I didn't tag you because I don't want to pillory you; I just don't care. I can play along though while dinner cooks.

1.) We have your latest titled "Broadcasters Roundtable: Injury Adversity Strikes" (of course) -- do you believe a fully healthy Flyers team is still not a bottom 10 team? With much of their salary tied into soon to be declining injured players? Do you see a coherent plan to build a contending team? Bigger picture seem to be evasively avoided. Compare this to what Seravalli honestly said in his recent podcast with Settlemyre, to which you probably listened (and that's what people want to hear).

2.) Skimming your roundtable (each video seems to have a viewership drop, which I think tells you people just are less and less interested in being sold a bill of goods) I was blessed with a several minute segment showering encomiums upon Seeler, Deslauriers, MacEwen. As Coates and Jackson said: "They brought a toughness that makes everyone feel better about themselves.....not liabilities, strengths!" Seeler hype as the best defenseman. Do you not see this as part and parcel why they're a horrible team, effort aside? Endlessly praising fighting and effort in fringe low skill players doesn't hit like you think it does with the non-geriatric fanbase. It's as misguided as praising the wonders of the telegraph.

3.) Much of the rest is about Tortorella, foundation foundation foundation! Again, ignoring Tortorella, foundation for what? It's just empty phrases. Why don't you discuss the deep in the red value in/out? How does a team so near the bottom have so few picks (and had so few picks) and so few tradable assets? This team is headed to a long, dark rebuild due to managerial incompetence. Noah Cates is a nice bottom 6 slotted LW, but if you need to go out of the way to praise his defense and 8 points as a top 6 center, or even the more skilled Tippett as a possible middle 6 piece, is that not a tacit admission how far away they are in talent? Nobody online is more in tune with the prospect pool than this forum, mind you.

4.) Do you believe the Flyers need to clean house with the front office, advisor crew, etc? Do you believe, speaking of foundations, that there is something foundationally wrong?

5.) How about you discuss what Steve Yzerman said in this video:

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." Meanwhile, we have a GM who for years now flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so the front offices publicly emphasizes only defense -- and an outdated definition of defense? Hire a coach who openly says he can't help with offense, when the offensive side of coaching is tantamount? Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
While I appreciate the exercise in defense, much like Ristolainen's 4 minute shift the other day, I don't really see much in the way of debate. It seems more like carefully orchestrated non-debate. I didn't tag you because I don't want to pillory you; I just don't care. I can play along though while dinner cooks.

1.) We have your latest titled "Broadcasters Roundtable: Injury Adversity Strikes" (of course) -- do you believe a fully healthy Flyers team is still not a bottom 10 team? With much of their salary tied into soon to be declining injured players? Do you see a coherent plan to build a contending team? Bigger picture seem to be evasively avoided. Compare this to what Seravalli honestly said in his recent podcast with Settlemyre, to which you probably listened (and that's what people want to hear).

2.) Skimming your roundtable (each video seems to have a viewership drop, which I think tells you people just are less and less interested in being sold a bill of goods) I was blessed with a several minute segment showering encomiums upon Seeler, Deslauriers, MacEwen. As Coates and Jackson said: "They brought a toughness that makes everyone feel better about themselves.....not liabilities, strengths!" Seeler hype as the best defenseman. Do you not see this as part and parcel why they're a horrible team, effort aside? Endlessly praising fighting and effort in fringe low skill players doesn't hit like you think it does with the non-geriatric fanbase. It's as misguided as praising the wonders of the telegraph.

3.) Much of the rest is about Tortorella, foundation foundation foundation! Again, ignoring Tortorella, foundation for what? It's just empty phrases. Why don't you discuss the deep in the red value in/out? This team is headed to a long, dark rebuild due to managerial incompetence. Noah Cates is a nice bottom 6 slotted LW, but if you need to go out of the way to praise his defense and 8 points as a top 6 center, or even the more skilled Tippett as a possible middle 6 piece, is that not a tacit admission how far away they are in talent? Nobody online is more in tune with the prospect pool than this forum, mind you.

4.) Do you believe the Flyers need to clean house with the front office, advisor crew, etc? Do you believe, speaking of foundations, that there is something foundationally wrong?

5.) How about you discuss what Steve Yzerman said in this video:

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." Meanwhile, we have a GM who for years now flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so the front offices publicly emphasizes only defense -- and an outdated definition of defense? Hire a coach who openly says he can't help with offense, when the offensive side of coaching is tantamount? Does this make sense?

OK but what are you cooking

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Idk an HF Flyers Roundtable sounds kinda sexy. Thoughts?
It needs @Striiker in the Bill Matz role (with better takes).

I do wonder how some of the more knowledgeable posters could do putting out content. I just don't know how hard it would be to even get a foot in the door. It would definitely be interesting to see something born here get a big enough footprint to warrant media access.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It needs @Striiker in the Bill Matz role (with better takes).

I do wonder how some of the more knowledgeable posters could do putting out content. I just don't know how hard it would be to even get a foot in the door. It would definitely be interesting to see something born here get a big enough footprint to warrant media access.
I have a horrible voice for podcasting.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Please explain what this means so I know what level of insulted to be. I haven’t watched any and I don’t know who that is.

Thanks. :)
Don't be insulted in this case, that's what I was trying to avoid with the "better takes" bit. Matz is a blowhard but his role is primarily to guide the BSH pod through their topics. Essentially I'm plugging you for the show runner.

And the unrestrained anger.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't be insulted in this case, that's what I was trying to avoid with the "better takes" bit. Matz is a blowhard but his role is primarily to guide the BSH pod through their topics. Essentially I'm plugging you for the show runner.

That’s very kind of you but if I’m put in charge of anything more than preparing ”bird” trivia then we’re in shambles from the start :laugh:

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
That’s very kind of you but if I’m put in charge of anything more than preparing ”bird” trivia then we’re in shambles from the start :laugh:
I'd actually be fine on the prep/organization part, just so behind on current NHL trends due to my schedule that I would offer zero analytical benefit unless someone else was feeding me lines until I got caught up.

Reactions: Striiker

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

I’ll say Matz imo is much better than Brodes who somehow managed to get more of a “real job”? Although Charlie really is the content guy on that pod. As is ASF on STG.

For any of these guys, it has to be hard as shit to cover this team currently. Especially if one is paid by the organization, or dependent on men from it for some leaks/content.

I do miss a time when the team was better, people would disagree - but there is a lot of anger toward really anything associated with the Flyers currently.

A lot of it justified.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Guy has it all. Sex on the reg. Kids on the reg. Leggos on the reg. Chrome browser tabs on the reg.

oxi-clean-but-wait-theres-more.gif

He’s a great amateur chef AND he’s a Fortnite God.

Myrtman

May 8, 2016
Alright I have an offer for you and one other poster on this forum. I’d like to have you and another on my Stick 2 Hockey Live show. We can discuss many of the aspects of the team, debate some of my takes that you listed prior and anything else relevant. I don’t know who else would be willing to do it or if you are willing to do it. But this is me inviting you and another to come on and we can have a proper discussion like gentlemen and without any loss in translation of intent or substance. We could do it either this Monday or Friday, your choice. Let me know if it is something you would be interested in doing. I will treat you fairly and without bias. You in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad