Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
throw-challenge.gif

Reactions: captainpaxil

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
While I appreciate the exercise in defense, much like Ristolainen's 4 minute shift the other day, I don't really see much in the way of debate. It seems more like carefully orchestrated non-debate. I didn't tag you because I don't want to pillory you; I just don't care. I can play along though while dinner cooks.

1.) We have your latest titled "Broadcasters Roundtable: Injury Adversity Strikes" (of course) -- do you believe a fully healthy Flyers team is still not a bottom 10 team? With much of their salary tied into soon to be declining injured players? Do you see a coherent plan to build a contending team? Bigger picture seem to be evasively avoided. Compare this to what Seravalli honestly said in his recent podcast with Settlemyre, to which you probably listened (and that's what people want to hear).

2.) Skimming your roundtable (each video seems to have a viewership drop, which I think tells you people just are less and less interested in being sold a bill of goods) I was blessed with a several minute segment showering encomiums upon Seeler, Deslauriers, MacEwen. As Coates and Jackson said: "They brought a toughness that makes everyone feel better about themselves.....not liabilities, strengths!" Seeler hype as the best defenseman. Do you not see this as part and parcel why they're a horrible team, effort aside? Endlessly praising fighting and effort in fringe low skill players doesn't hit like you think it does with the non-geriatric fanbase. It's as misguided as praising the wonders of the telegraph.

3.) Much of the rest is about Tortorella, foundation foundation foundation! Again, ignoring Tortorella, foundation for what? It's just empty phrases. Why don't you discuss the deep in the red value in/out? How does a team so near the bottom have so few picks (and had so few picks) and so few tradable assets? This team is headed to a long, dark rebuild due to managerial incompetence. Noah Cates is a nice bottom 6 slotted LW, but if you need to go out of the way to praise his defense and 8 points as a top 6 center, or even the more skilled Tippett as a possible middle 6 piece, is that not a tacit admission how far away they are in talent? Nobody online is more in tune with the prospect pool than this forum, mind you.

4.) Do you believe the Flyers need to clean house with the front office, advisor crew, etc? Do you believe, speaking of foundations, that there is something foundationally wrong?

5.) How about you discuss what Steve Yzerman said in this video:

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." Meanwhile, we have a GM who for years now flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so the front offices publicly emphasizes only defense -- and an outdated definition of defense? Hire a coach who openly says he can't help with offense, when the offensive side of coaching is tantamount? Does this make sense?

There’s no way that spaghetti isn’t over cooked.

Of course he didn’t respond to this post with all the substance. Should’ve used a pet name like @DancingPanther

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There’s no way that spaghetti isn’t over cooked.

Of course he didn’t respond to this post with all the substance. Should’ve used a pet name like @DancingPanther

I provided an entire podcast’s worth of topics and talking points. Multiple. Certainly the bulk of them (read: ones not about people losing jobs) are not NOT kosher to talk about. The issue is it’s easier to swoon over team approved topics like MacEwen and Seeler than open those cans of worms where harsh criticism, even the professional kind, becomes inevitable. Again, Seravalli, a professional commentator, covered the major points on an authentic fan Flyers podcast. And we all just nodded. But it wasn't connected to the team directly.

If it was a lose-lose for the spaghetti, it was a win-win for me. Either there’s no real answering (which proves my point about the limits of fair discussion with a team employee, and flames the frustration with the media) or there’s answers that begrudgingly agree to a careful extent. There’s not really a third door.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Jason Myrtetus on one about needing franchise goalies to win a Cup, and then calling all the ones who weren’t that outliers.

Yeah I feel like that was partially my fault. I said on the Twitter that I'd be down to trade Hart and then that Raiderfrank character quote tweeted me @ him and then we were off to the races.

I can see both sides of the conversation, but I think it's dumb as shit to go "well we're 5+ years out from contention, but at least we have a goalie!" that is, if you believe they're 5+ years out and believe Hart is a franchise goalie. I wrote that thinking about Luongo and Lundqvist.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I provided an entire podcast’s worth of topics and talking points. Multiple. Certainly the bulk of them (read: ones not about people losing jobs) are not NOT kosher to talk about. The issue is it’s easier to swoon over team approved topics like MacEwen and Seeler than open those cans of worms where harsh criticism, even the professional kind, becomes inevitable. Again, Seravalli, a professional commentator, covered the major points on an authentic fan Flyers podcast. And we all just nodded. But it wasn't connected to the team directly.

If it was a lose-lose for the spaghetti, it was a win-win for me. Either there’s no real answering (which proves my point about the limits of fair discussion with a team employee, and flames the frustration with the media) or there’s answers that begrudgingly agree to a careful extent. There’s not really a third door.
This is why I'm saying we need Risto to read the posts. He knows he's in over his head, so goes after people not posting substance.

Little does he realize the people not posting substance are just shit posting lol.

Don't worry though, he'll have us on the podcast so we can talk about the topics he chooses, which are actually the topics the team chooses, because literally admitted he can't talk about certain points. But of course it'll be fair and unbiased. Being a mouthpiece must be really confusing sometimes

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I feel like that was partially my fault. I said on the Twitter that I'd be down to trade Hart and then that Raiderfrank character quote tweeted me @ him and then we were off to the races.

It’s his fault for saying something dumb, but I’ll give him credit because he does engage so I can respect it.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It’s his fault for saying something dumb, but I’ll give him credit because he does engage so I can respect it.

What have we engaged on? While I’m not taken aback, I wrote a massive spiel that didn’t get a glance. It doesn’t feel like engaging to me. Not past the surface level. It feels like an opportunity to parry with self-importance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What have we engaged on? While I’m not taken aback, I wrote a massive spiel that didn’t get a glance. It doesn’t feel like engaging to me. Not past the surface level. It feels like an opportunity for self-importance.
He engages people who quote or reply to him is what I mean

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Alright I have an offer for you and one other poster on this forum. I’d like to have you and another on my Stick 2 Hockey Live show. We can discuss many of the aspects of the team, debate some of my takes that you listed prior and anything else relevant. I don’t know who else would be willing to do it or if you are willing to do it. But this is me inviting you and another to come on and we can have a proper discussion like gentlemen and without any loss in translation of intent or substance. We could do it either this Monday or Friday, your choice. Let me know if it is something you would be interested in doing. I will treat you fairly and without bias. You in?
:laugh: Thanks but I'll pass.

Like I said above, I have nothing of value to offer and certainly nothing to gain.

I don't want to be on your podcast, I don't want to be on any potential future HFFlyers podcast, I don't want the attention of Flyers twitter, and most importantly I sure as shit don't want any of Flyers twitter to end up over here.

I just want to shitpost and goof around with the clowns on here because I hate the team, I hate the management, I hate the media, I hate the fanbase, and, more than anything, I hate myself so I'll continue to follow this trainwreck and punish myself. Maybe one day this team will be watchable again... although I'm starting to doubt it.

If you'd really like to have a proper discussion we can do that on here any time you want and on any topic you want. Analytics, Risto, Ghost, Torts, Fletcher, or anything else mentioned in those tweets. Up to you.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He engages people who quote or reply to him is what I mean

I guess, but some people like the sound and the fury more than the substance. Superficial engaging can also be an ego trip. I don’t feel like I had a conversation.

I’ll give credit to Meltzer, who we don’t often credit: you used to be able to get him going a bit on hockeybuzz.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Yeah, at the end of the day it's hockey and it really doesn't matter and that's why it's fun to argue. I can see both sides of the argument re: goaltending, its importance is somewhat polarizing. I just happen to sit on one side of that argument, though because a p'oaster with a bigger platform decided to take issue with it, I ended up engaging with a bunch of droolers who were convinced that it was an all-or-nothing thing, like my stance was "goaltending is irrelevant."

What tickles me is the Frank gentleman, rather than engaging personally, deciding to appeal to Myrtetus to GET HIS ASS as if a rando media member is some greater authority. In a past life, I was a reporter in a field far more consequential and complex than hockey takes. There is no divine wisdom associated with the job. Just ghouls with laptops. In this case, it requires no special knowledge...I've probably watched, played, and thought about as much hockey as the guy you roped in, it's not as if you're calling upon a legendary scout or something.

Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Alright I have an offer for you and one other poster on this forum. I’d like to have you and another on my Stick 2 Hockey Live show. We can discuss many of the aspects of the team, debate some of my takes that you listed prior and anything else relevant. I don’t know who else would be willing to do it or if you are willing to do it. But this is me inviting you and another to come on and we can have a proper discussion like gentlemen and without any loss in translation of intent or substance. We could do it either this Monday or Friday, your choice. Let me know if it is something you would be interested in doing. I will treat you fairly and without bias. You in?
That's the irony of a disgruntled fan base. Most guys on here are so angry they can't really engage anymore. It's a bit like political news and Fletcher is the opposite party. I'm the resident caveman poor @Ghost Bear just wants to be a fan and @deadhead can write an essay on why things aren't as bad as they seem but he'll get accused of being on the payroll himself. I think we're doomed to hang out in the septic tank until the team crawls out of the sewer

Reactions: Flyer lurker

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
That's the irony of a disgruntled fan base. Most guys on here are so angry they can't really engage anymore. It's a bit like political news and Fletcher is the opposite party. I'm the resident caveman poor @Ghost Bear just wants to be a fan and @deadhead can write an essay on why things aren't as bad as they seem but he'll get accused of being on the payroll himself. I think we're doomed to hang out in the septic tank until the team crawls out of the sewer

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
We can start with audience from all over the world. Iam from germany. Deadpool would hear the pod from Australian. And so on. I bet we would get a lot of audience in no time!

I have a horrible voice for podcasting.
I have great voice, but you know.... another shortcoming:laugh:

We can start with audience from all over the world. Iam from germany. Deadpool would hear the pod from Australian. And so on. I bet we would get a lot of audience in no time!

I have great voice, but you know.... another shortcoming:laugh:
I hate automoerge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad