Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The "very motivated" chorus was sung all year last year. Can intangibles pitch out of the bullpen? Spencer Turnbull can, he should fix everything.

I like the Turnbull flyer btw. But not addressing the bullpen outside of that is absolutely mindbending

Fangraphs projects the Phillies to have the best pitching staff in baseball. #2 Rotation (they were first last year) & #1 bullpen.

If you listen to WIP or go on Twitter it's the Phillies need to sign Montgomery. The Phillies need a closer. Do they really? It'd be a luxury sure. I think most Philly fans have no perception of what baseball looks like outside of the city. Most 4/5 starters suck. The Phillies might have one guy that sucks. Most teams don't have 2 front line starters. The Phillies have two. Most teams don't have late inning guys sitting 97-100. The Phillies have 5.

If they are going to have an unexpected season, it'll be because multiple guys took a jump offensively.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Fangraphs projects the Phillies to have the best pitching staff in baseball. #2 Rotation (they were first last year) & #1 bullpen.

If you listen to WIP or go on Twitter it's the Phillies need to sign Montgomery. The Phillies need a closer. Do they really? It'd be a luxury sure. I think most Philly fans have no perception of what baseball looks like outside of the city. Most 4/5 starters suck. The Phillies might have one guy that sucks. Most teams don't have 2 front line starters. The Phillies have two. Most teams don't have late inning guys sitting 97-100. The Phillies have 5.

If they are going to have an unexpected season, it'll be because multiple guys took a jump offensively.

I'm fine going into this season with the current staff and adding mid-season if they feel they have a weakness they can improve on.

The only way I would want to be in on Snell and Montgomery is if they can move off of Walker. Not happening.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

I do not subscribe to Snell, Montgomery, or a "closer". Well, unless it means ditching Walker, who I called a disaster from minute #1 of his signing. That being said, never once did I say their rotation was a problem. Sanchez is going to be a beast this year imo

Come playoff time, one of Sanchez or Ranger moves to the pen. Which is good. Is Kerkering a guy? If so, that's would be huge. But you can't bank on that, and I think they're hedging their bets too much on him. They needed to pursue another option. I was hoping for a Reynaldo Lopez/Emilio Pagan/Jake Junis. You can't have enough options, but I'm not even sure they have enough to start. You can't throw the same 3 guys every playoff game. That's hoping Strahm remains good.

We all know bullpens are volatile. You need quantity as well as quality. Or, prospective quality.

A whole season of Harper and good Turner should boost their win total into the 90s if everyone is healthy. But that bullpen is going to be an issue again and they didn't do anything about it other than Spencer Turnbull

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Northeast sports fans are passionately localized. There are plenty of exceptions of course, but by and large they're fans of teams more than sports. That's a good thing when it comes to finding reasons to care about dead franchises *cough*, but it makes environments like WIP and FAN detach from reality.

I don't think that's ever changing.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Northeast sports fans are passionately localized. There are plenty of exceptions of course, but by and large they're fans of teams more than sports. That's a good thing when it comes to finding reasons to care about dead franchises *cough*, but it makes environments like WIP and FAN detach from reality.

I don't think that's ever changing.
People can rightfully point fingers at the offense going cold against the Diamondbacks in the second half of the series, but they can also rightfully point to the late blown lead in game 4 as the turning point. In fact, all but, if I recall, 2 losses last playoffs were blown leads late in the game? Both things can be correct.

You say yourself all the time that all you ask for is a plan that you can reasonably follow. I cannot reasonably follow this plan at this stage: entrusting a rookie with a huge playoff role in high leverage situations and otherwise running back the same group of pitchers that dropped the ball. If they bulk up at the deadline then great. But right now? No good. Is this really an out of touch thought process? Hoping for marginal adds? That's how they got Strahm, Sanchez, and Alvarado to pitch for them in the first place. That's all I was hoping to see.

Being better than most other teams shouldn't preclude you from trying to improve. We both know that's silly

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They will address it at the trade deadline. Will Smith is only on a one-year deal with the Royals.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Montgomery on a short term deal is much more desirable than Snell since he isn't tied to draft pick compensation. I don't think they'll go that route though.

I do not subscribe to Snell, Montgomery, or a "closer". Well, unless it means ditching Walker, who I called a disaster from minute #1 of his signing. That being said, never once did I say their rotation was a problem. Sanchez is going to be a beast this year imo

Come playoff time, one of Sanchez or Ranger moves to the pen. Which is good. Is Kerkering a guy? If so, that's would be huge. But you can't bank on that, and I think they're hedging their bets too much on him. They needed to pursue another option. I was hoping for a Reynaldo Lopez/Emilio Pagan/Jake Junis. You can't have enough options, but I'm not even sure they have enough to start. You can't throw the same 3 guys every playoff game. That's hoping Strahm remains good.

We all know bullpens are volatile. You need quantity as well as quality. Or, prospective quality.

A whole season of Harper and good Turner should boost their win total into the 90s if everyone is healthy. But that bullpen is going to be an issue again and they didn't do anything about it other than Spencer Turnbull
Uncertainty can go both ways. Having a high variance bullpen isn't the worst thing going into a season. The Phillies likely see their bullpen the way most public models do at the moment which is why they didn't commit much to it in the offseason. They have big league quality arms that are going to get cut after spring training. There's value in seeing how that plays out in the spring and early in the season. Locking in a high price veteran and another 40 man spot probably wasn't the wisest move if you think you have one of the best bullpens already.

Bullpen pieces are also easier to acquire than starting pitching and everyday position players at the position you need during the season. So even if the models are wildly inaccurate and the Phillies have a terrible bullpen, that's where I rather be weak prior to the trade deadline.

I believe in Kerkering's stuff. Will he figure out a pitch mix that works at this level and will he be able to hold up over a full MLB workload? That remains to be seen, but the thing is, they don't need him to be the guy. If he is though, that unlocks another level.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Montgomery on a short term deal is much more desirable than Snell since he isn't tied to draft pick compensation. I don't think they'll go that route though.

Uncertainty can go both ways. Having a high variance bullpen isn't the worst thing going into a season. The Phillies likely see their bullpen the way most public models do at the moment which is why they didn't commit much to it in the offseason. They have big league quality arms that are going to get cut after spring training. There's value in seeing how that plays out in the spring and early in the season. Locking in a high price veteran and another 40 man spot probably wasn't the wisest move if you think you have one of the best bullpens already.

Bullpen pieces are also easier to acquire than starting pitching and everyday position players at the position you need during the season. So even if the models are wildly inaccurate and the Phillies have a terrible bullpen, that's where I rather be weak prior to the trade deadline.

I believe in Kerkering's stuff. Will he figure out a pitch mix that works at this level and will he be able to hold up over a full MLB workload? That remains to be seen, but the thing is, they don't need him to be the guy. If he is though, that unlocks another level.
He needed to be the guy in I believe 3 playoff games. Someone is going to have to fill in the 75 regular season and postseason innings Kimbrel gave them last year. The results of those innings notwithstanding, that is still an insane chunk of high leverage work. Not addressing that hole is crazy to me. It's that simple. That's my entire point. I'm not talking about signing a "closer", but a high leverage guy to fill that role. If they chase that player as a deadline acquisition, then fine.

The writing is on the wall that they'll need Kerkering to, indeed, be a high leverage guy in the pen. This may be great or it may backfire over a full regular and postseason. I think it would be a prudent move to give him help

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They were one of the best bullpens in baseball in 2023 and are projected to be again as constructed.

They can add a piece mid-season too.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

8b545a8509aaffa7c3ce22cb4ca47c049a-wojak-05.w710.jpg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m clearly baking a cake.

You’re just saying it isn’t a cake because you see me putting rocks, broken glass, and fertilizer into a baking dish and that doesn’t fit your extremist view on what a cake has to be.

But it’s still a cake because that’s what I’m calling it. You’re just being negative.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Charlie not only thinks the Flyers were guaranteed to make the playoffs if they kept Walker, they are going to win a round.

I’ve seen enough stupid shit in hockey that I can’t completely dismiss that they don’t find themselves winning a round or two or three. Not four. After Florida last season there’s definitely a renewed spirit within the league of ‘let’s just get in and see what happens’

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’ve seen enough stupid shit in hockey that I can’t completely dismiss that they don’t find themselves winning a round or two or three. Not four. After Florida last season there’s definitely a renewed spirit within the league of ‘let’s just get in and see what happens’
It's not impossible, but he didn't even entertain the idea they would have missed the playoffs. Right now they are barely hanging on to a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad