Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The only thing I can think of is Yzerman is trying to make space for a bigger piece, and probably tried to unload some stuff, so the Sharks took their shot and asked for those pieces. For all we know, Holl could have been offered first.

It does suck losing Walman, he was one of the better dmen on the team, but I'm also excited at the prospect of adding a big piece to the team.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Plus you can be ~9m over the cap during the summer giving you time to try and waive Walman or deal him to someone who strikes out in free agency. No move to be made now needed this to be done now. The only thing would be as some are saying if there were some issues with the team and they just wanted the guy gone.
Yeah, as a wings fan, I really don’t understand the move. As others have stated, I thought he had some value and kind of expected him to be moved, but didn’t expect to have to pay to move him.

the only thing I can think of is it’s to gain extra cap for a larger package deal or free agent signing

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Told you guys he was on his way out, and that they may have trouble getting a return. He was that bad. Maatta they’ll get a pick for, and if they retain on Holl they’ll get futures for him too. Or they’ll buy him out.

They’re adding two Dmen in all likelihood

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
This goated top 4 d man got benched alot in crunch time last year. Must have been his elite top 4 play. Was outshining everyone on defence on that 10 game losing streak.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Detroit traded Nick Leddy to St. Louis for a deal including Walman and St. Louis 2023 2nd round pick. Detroit selected Andrew Gibson with that pick. Detroit then traded Gibson for a 2024 2nd round pick and then used that pick to trade Walman to San Jose.
Asset management master class.

Been sayin Stevie Y the most overrated GM for years.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Future considerations could be a big time player for us when he develops.

In all seriousness, Walman had his warts. Fun to watch when he was engaged, can score goals, but also can lack effort for long stretches and be disengaged defensively. 33 million in cap space to play with, giving up the 2nd rounder when we don't even have room for all the prospects is whatever. Future considerations could he a decent pick or maybe even a hey.. pick a guy for us earlier in the draft, and another swap happens.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
The only thing I can think of is Yzerman is trying to make space for a bigger piece, and probably tried to unload some stuff, so the Sharks took their shot and asked for those pieces. For all we know, Holl could have been offered first.

It does suck losing Walman, he was one of the better dmen on the team, but I'm also excited at the prospect of adding a big piece to the team.

wonder if this the reason

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wings fans massively overrated Walman.

But this is still a hilarious trade. His value wasn’t that bad.

Reactions: Sandisfan

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Is it possible Walman had off-ice issues, making him unattractive to other teams ?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Sens paid a 2nd (okay and a 4th) to dump Zaitsev, feels insane that Walman required it he’s really not that overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad