Post-Game Talk: Sens 1 and 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Chiarot and Hronek a lovely -3 apiece tonight. Gotta love their chemistry.

On that note, why was Hronek the last guy back on like..all of those breakaways? I wasn't paying close enough attention at that point to know where Chiarot was, but why the f*** does that dude think he's a puck mover?

I don’t know if I can blame them though.

Hellberg was good until he wasn’t. The Giroux breakaway was on Maatta and Lindstrom.

But the f***ing refs really gifted this one to Ottawa.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So what is the plan now?
Many posters said this is a must win or must wins. Many thought we had to win both games. Now we lost 1.

The coach makes mistakes.
1. Chiarot on 2nd instead on 3rd
2. Not starting Husso. As far as I can tell everyone was surprised Husso didn't start tonight
3. Lindstrom instead of Hagg. Lindstrom played his best hockey for like 5-10 games ago. Lalonde puts Hagg in takes out Lindstrom. Then Hagg plays his best hockey Lalonde replaces him with Lindstrom
4. Vrana sits? What the f? He is maybe our best goalscorer. Lalonde whines we lack goalscorers. Vrana played one game and as far as I can tell he was extremely good. He saved one goal and set up our PP goal

Chiarot is now the team's worst with -22. Walman is the team's best with +18. Seider was -18 with Chiarot, now with Walman he is -7.
The fans on the board here were calling on putting Chiarot away from Seider for at least 10-15 games before Lalonde did it. Now the fans have been saying that Chiarot should play on the 3rd pair for at least 10 games.
Furthermore, Hronaissance was putting great numbers with Maatta, now with Chiarot that production disappeared completely.

Reactions: Ulysses31

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Asides from having an overall poor game, what I noticed today more than ever is how soft of a team the wings are.

They are really missing some sandpaper in the line up to stand up for all the smaller players. To a certain extent that’s Chiarot, but he can’t do it all on his own.

Thought Sunny looked horrible today. He was very noticeable for all the wrong reasons. Looks even slower in real life than on TV.

Hellberg was good until he lost his confidence.

Team always passes up on too many shots; always deferring to a pass in the high slot which was always blocked well by the Ottawa defence.

Line combination seemed extremely odd. Wasn’t too keen on the decision making of line deployments either.

Got to see Bertuzzi’s goal in the first from a few rows off the ice.

Lots of wing fans at the Canadian tire center tonight. Hopefully a better outcome tomorrow.

Would love to see #90, #52 and #11 get more ice time.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
We're not a good team.
Right. I'm pointing out their flaws that they need to overcome to become a good team. If they load up with talent and have a loser mentality, a lot of good it will do them. The officiating does not enter this equation, they are not relevant.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Right. I'm pointing out their flaws that they need to overcome to become a good team. If they load up with talent and have a loser mentality, a lot of good it will do them. The officiating does not enter this equation, they are not relevant.
That's absurd to say the very least.

It'd be nice to live in a world where the refs don't factor in.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wish management would decide what they actually want to do. If you really want to make a playoff push then go get a competent RD so you're not relying on a rotating stable of a 4A players. Go get a physical bottom 6 grinder. Or admit this team isn't ready, getting completely over matched in the 1st round won't do anything for their future. Sell off some assets in what's been a sellers market. The indecision almost feels like Holland still running the team. Missing the playoffs, having no chance at a lotto pick and not picking up any extra futures is such a horrible scenario

Reactions: RedHawkDown

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Wish management would decide what they actually want to do. If you really want to make a playoff push then go get a competent RD so you're not relying on a rotating stable of a 4A players. Go get a physical bottom 6 grinder. Or admit this team isn't ready, getting completely over matched in the 1st round won't do anything for their future. Sell off some assets in what's been a sellers market. The indecision almost feels like Holland still running the team. Missing the playoffs, having no chance at a lotto pick and not picking up any extra futures is such a horrible scenario
I don't really understand what Yzerman and Lalonde want. They are placing us in the worst possible position. Not getting into the playoffs, while not getting a good draft pick either.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
This team got beat up, not looking forward to seeing that.

Tough to really see much of a solution in the system too. Would love to see a guy like Ty Cheveldayoff or Jagger Joshua get a PTO for camp this year. Not like they couldn’t use the help in GR too.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
That's absurd to say the very least.

It'd be nice to live in a world where the refs don't factor in.
In figuring out how your team can get better? The refs literally cannot factor in, because the players can’t affect how well or how poorly the refs do their job. And no team game plans with officiating inconsistency in mind, for obvious reasons.

Again, the refs are for us fans to bitch about. And a team’s coaching staff/front office, if the officiating is bad enough. The players cannot worry about them. It’s a waste of time. And a detriment, if they are inspiring you, as a player, to give up on a game.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
In figuring out how your team can get better? The refs literally cannot factor in, because the players can’t affect how well or how poorly the refs do their job. And no team game plans with officiating inconsistency in mind, for obvious reasons.

Again, the refs are for us fans to bitch about. And a team’s coaching staff/front office, if the officiating is bad enough. The players cannot worry about them. It’s a waste of time. And a detriment, if they are inspiring you, as a player, to give up on a game.
Guess what? We're fans.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yes, but this discussion originated in discussing how the players should be reacting to bad officiating. Remember? ;)
Good players on a good team.

I don't blame the kids for packing it in on that shit show one bit. It's like the concept of an abusive family. It isn't always punishing that's the problem. It's the random/inconsistent punishment that does the damage. You never learn what the rules are because there are no set rules.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
This sums up how I felt everytime I saw Brady's stupid face...

Im still trying to figure out what the f Sunny is supposed to provide? A big body 4th liner who's too slow to do any big body 4th line things. I dont understand how we have an entire team of players who are unable to take and give a hit. Every big check our guys tried to throw ended up with them bouncing off and falling down awkwardly, meanwhile they were getting pasted left and right, seemly completely unable to defend themselves. Embarrassing all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden Caufield

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Anyone else getting gutless vibes from this team? I know it was 25 years ago and the game has changed, but that 97 team had Shanahan, Lapointe, McCarty, Kocur, Maltby, Konstantinov, Rouse. I’d kill to have just two guys on this team that could play with some sandpaper and not be pylons out there.
The overreactions are mostly hilarious but I'm not a fan of calling the team gutless because of one loss when they've clearly been playing their hearts out lately.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The overreactions are mostly hilarious but I'm not a fan of calling the team gutless because of one loss when they've clearly been playing their hearts out lately.
Last night was gutless. At one point after getting ran all night there was 3 or 4 sens on Kubalik and no one to be found coming in to help him. Youre getting ran out of the building score wise and physically and no one can even throw a face wash?

Chiarot has fought Tkachuk before, I didnt even see him get in a scrum last night. Very soft showing, the refs were horrible but you cant get pushed around like that. They better wake up tonight.

Sick of having a soft bottom 6 too. Sundqvist sucks go get someone with some sand paper to replace him

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yes, but this discussion originated in discussing how the players should be reacting to bad officiating. Remember? ;)
We disagree all the time now. Lol.
Anyhow, I have watched only period 1 and there are 4 questionable calls all went against us.
Call on Larkin is fine. It was roughing or interference.
But no call on Seider, roughing is a very obvious call.
No call on Lindstrom and the call on Berggren are strange.
We have been getting pushed around for a long time now.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We have been getting pushed around for a long time now.
Don't agree at all. We're doing just fine, and chasing after physicality because we got outplayed in a game is a big time losing mentality.

Buffalo and NJ are #31 and #32 in hits. Colorado's #27. Toronto #23.
Yeah, Ottawa's the 2nd most physical team in the league, but is that what we want to chase?

Sick of having a soft bottom 6 too. Sundqvist sucks go get someone with some sand paper to replace him
Our bottom 6 has been one of the best in the league for a month or two. Finally we have scoring depth and the ability to win because of depth.
But.. we need to ruin that because we want more low-skill goons?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Don't agree at all. We're doing just fine, and chasing after physicality because we got outplayed in a game is a big time losing mentality.

Buffalo and NJ are #31 and #32 in hits. Colorado's #27. Toronto #23.
Yeah, Ottawa's the 2nd most physical team in the league, but is that what we want to chase?

Our bottom 6 has been one of the best in the league for a month or two. Finally we have scoring depth and the ability to win because of depth.
But.. we need to ruin that because we want more low-skill goons?
Do you really believe in what you wrote? I don't think so.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Do you really believe in what you wrote? I don't think so.
You mean the undisputed facts? Or basing it on more than just one game? How about the other night when we manhandled the Rangers? Or the way we've stood up to Tampa, Pittsburgh or other actually good teams?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You mean the undisputed facts? Or basing it on more than just one game? How about the other night when we manhandled the Rangers? Or the way we've stood up to Tampa, Pittsburgh or other actually good teams?
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Was it awful to see the Wings as a deer in headlights, unable to snap out of it against a faster and more physical team? Yes.

But it's literally their job to do that now - and they still have a quarter of the season remaining - so I agree, let's see how they respond before shoveling any additional dirt on their grave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad