Post-Game Talk: Sens 1 and 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It sure beats being way out of the second wild card position in the middle of February.

Does it? This season I firmly disagree because of the talent at the top end of the draft. But even most seasons it’s not a meaningful position to be in. If this was the end of March that’d be meaningful. But with almost a third of the season left and only because of a major win streak? Nope.

Reactions: Roy S

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Does it? This season I firmly disagree because of the talent at the top end of the draft. But even most seasons it’s not a meaningful position to be in. If this was the end of March that’d be meaningful. But with almost a third of the season left and only because of a major win streak? Nope.
yeah I'm not gonna get into the "it's better to perennially tank" argument

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
By that thinking, McCarty never should of fought Lemiuex?

There's a massive difference between what Lemieux did and Brady Tkachuk running around.

I don't subscribe to the "our power play is our enforcer" mentality, but both Tkachuk's are basically talented fake tough guys. They should be played physically but laughed at when they start their antics. Matthew especially can get off his game when he focuses on his rat nature. If the Wings players get caught up in it they're playing right into his hands. And you're never gonna out rat a rat.

I understand that they both have extremely punchable faces that only a mother could love. If they do something that deserves a beat down, so be it (not that the Wings currently have someone who can deliver there). Otherwise just let them be clowns.

And in their defense, they're so loved by their dad he wouldn't throw a 30 dollar hat on the ice when Matthew scored a hat trick in the playoffs. That kind of loving environment has got to do a number on your brain as a kid.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
There's a massive difference between what Lemieux did and Brady Tkachuk running around.

I don't subscribe to the "our power play is our enforcer" mentality, but both Tkachuk's are basically talented fake tough guys. They should be played physically but laughed at when they start their antics. Matthew especially can get off his game when he focuses on his rat nature. If the Wings players get caught up in it they're playing right into his hands. And you're never gonna out rat a rat.

I understand that they both have extremely punchable faces that only a mother could love. If they do something that deserves a beat down, so be it (not that the Wings currently have someone who can deliver there). Otherwise just let them be clowns.

And in their defense, they're so loved by their dad he wouldn't throw a 30 dollar hat on the ice when Matthew scored a hat trick in the playoffs. That kind of loving environment has got to do a number on your brain as a kid.
I know this isn't the same level as Lemiuex, but I don't subscribe to the idea of ignoring the issue. At some point you will have to silence the guy or else he will continue, also it opens the door for others to do it and possibly take it too far. So in some way, you have to handle it, be it by better play or physicality, I don't care which.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I agree that Matthew is a fake tough guy, and I'll agree that Brady has a lot of sideshow antics of a tougher dude than he is. But he is a tough sob, not Wayne Simmonds, but Brady is a couple tiers above his brother

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I agree that Matthew is a fake tough guy, and I'll agree that Brady has a lot of sideshow antics of a tougher dude than he is. But he is a tough sob, not Wayne Simmonds, but Brady is a couple tiers above his brother
Agreed. In the clown show department I think Brady is less clown and tougher than his brother.

But when you're getting your ass handed to you, you're not gonna win a rat battle with either of them.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That game isn't considered anywhere close to as legendary as it is unless McCarty pots the overtime winner.
It's like no one has ever bothered to listen/read what the players (McCarty included) have said about that game. None of the theatrics matter if they don't win that game.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Fine, we'll sign Khamzat Chimaev and Milan Lucic and see what Brady does in the next game.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
They folded like a cheap tent on Monday night, got bullied and did nothing about it, which conveyed to me they were going to come out flat last night. And it sounds like they did? I had to take my daughter to swimming and then had my own game last night, so I missed 90% of the game. I'll watch the recording tonight. But from what I saw, and the box score, sounds like all my concerns after Monday were validated.

Either way, to get absolutely dummied in back-to-back games by a team basically even with you in the standings, while fighting for a playoff spot, tells me you don't deserve the playoff spot and have no room to whine if Yzerman sells everything not bolted down in the next 48 hours.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
They folded like a cheap tent on Monday night, got bullied and did nothing about it, which conveyed to me they were going to come out flat last night. And it sounds like they did? I had to take my daughter to swimming and then had my own game last night, so I missed 90% of the game. I'll watch the recording tonight. But from what I saw, and the box score, sounds like all my concerns after Monday were validated.

Either way, to get absolutely dummied in back-to-back games by a team basically even with you in the standings, while fighting for a playoff spot, tells me you don't deserve the playoff spot and have no room to whine if Yzerman sells everything not bolted down in the next 48 hours.
after the penalty shot from Stutzle, we went downhill pretty fast.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
after the penalty shot from Stutzle, we went downhill pretty fast.
I agree with this, they didn't come out flat but they did crumble early and easily.

Also this game was the one that made me finally say Perron is a definite negative asset on the ice at this point.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I agree with this, they didn't come out flat but they did crumble early and easily.

Also this game was the one that made me finally say Perron is a definite negative asset on the ice at this point.
I mean, two games you come out, take a lead and get your legs taken out from under you by the refs is pretty demoralizing.

Did the Wings respond well? Nope, but they're young and facing off against a team that is similarly motivated and being spoonfed momentum shifting calls... It's whatever.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

When was the last time you made a post that wasn't about tanking?

I mean, two games you come out, take a lead and get your legs taken out from under you by the refs is pretty demoralizing.

Did the Wings respond well? Nope, but they're young and facing off against a team that is similarly motivated and being spoonfed momentum shifting calls... It's whatever.

This. Anytime the wings had momentum the refs were quick to make calls against Detroit almost as if they'd been instructed.

The penalty shot on Stutzle? Shot not impeded. He wasn't hooked or slashed or interfered with but gets a penalty shot.
Just about every f***ing penalty in both games was as weak as it could be.

EDIT: I hope that fans and broadcasters start to more publicly slam officiating in the NHL. It is by far the worst of the big 4 sports in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

omg finally someone is seeing it. What sucks is, now that you have seen it, you can't unsee it. I have been staring at his inability since late december and I can't stop seeing it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Well this is better than saying it's ok to give up when the officiating doesn't go your way at least :naughty:

Here’s the thing: we saw Red Wings teams full of hall of famers in 50 win seasons do that. This isn’t unique.

When the refs are doing their best to gift wrap a game for the other team like the last 2 it’s very easy to throw your arms in the air and say, “what CAN we do?”.

This isn’t specifically a Detroit problem. We were just on the wrong side of it 2 games in a row.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Here’s the thing: we saw Red Wings teams full of hall of famers in 50 win seasons do that. This isn’t unique.

When the refs are doing their best to gift wrap a game for the other team like the last 2 it’s very easy to throw your arms in the air and say, “what CAN we do?”.

This isn’t specifically a Detroit problem. We were just on the wrong side of it 2 games in a row.
Nah. This is excuse-making. As a player, thinking like that is unacceptable. "It's ok for me to give up, because the refs are being unfair".... unacceptable. "It's ok for me to give up because Hall of Famers have also been known to give up".... unacceptable. It's loser mentality.

I do agree though, giving up is easy. Takes no effort. Which is part of why it's a problem.

Reactions: AussieWings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Nah. This is excuse-making. As a player, thinking like that is unacceptable. "It's ok for me to give up, because the refs are being unfair".... unacceptable. "It's ok for me to give up because Hall of Famers have also been known to give up".... unacceptable. It's loser mentality.

I do agree though, giving up is easy. Takes no effort. Which is part of why it's a problem.

You should kick the door in and give the Wings a rousing speech next time they’re being blasted in the ass by the refs. You tell em what’s what! They’ll be 81-0-1 with you motivating them!

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You should kick the door in and give the Wings a rousing speech next time they’re being blasted in the ass by the refs. You tell em what’s what! They’ll be 81-0-1 with you motivating them!
Don't tempt me. I do have the address of LCA saved in my phone.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would rather have a .01% chance of moving up in the draft than just get embarrassed in the playoffs this is not and shouldn't be a playoff team, yet....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad