Post-Game Talk: Sens 1 and 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
So I know some people are adamant that Vrana play tomorrow night, but isn't he going to just add to the softness we saw out there tonight?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's competitive hockey. The insinuation here that it's fine they just fold like scared little boys is peculiar. They should show they are still there, still present in the competition. Some effort as a bare minimum, rise up to the physical challenge, run a guy if you have a chance. Turn the dial up in that situation because you're way behind, competitively, and your only chance to catch up is to put forth some effort, of some kind.

Yes, they could come out like gangbusters tomorrow night, but it's going to be more difficult to do after that 3rd. Ottawa is riding high after witnessing that sad display.
It's certainly supposed to be. Aspects of that were missing today. Namely consistent application of the rules.

Why exert energy in an endeavor you're not going to succeed in when you've got another one in 24 hours? Moral victories don't count for anything. Ottawa won their cup tonight. Good on them. Hope their families are proud. I know ol' Walt is.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Anyone else getting gutless vibes from this team? I know it was 25 years ago and the game has changed, but that 97 team had Shanahan, Lapointe, McCarty, Kocur, Maltby, Konstantinov, Rouse. I’d kill to have just two guys on this team that could play with some sandpaper and not be pylons out there.
That 96/97 team learned a lesson. A lesson that this current team has not yet learned.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lucky am I , did not watch the game, maybe this game will help Yzerman make a decision about small sell off . Stay positive

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
There’s two tales to this game.

The one where the Wings actually came out in the 1st playing the way they had been. Clean, hard-working, and efficient hockey in all 3 zones. The effort was there and so were the scoring chances. Then the Refs (and subsequently the Sens elite PP) knocked the wind right out of them. Chabot with two blatant dives, soft call after soft call. It’s tough to come back from that, especially on the road.

Then there’s the one where the Sens came out with intention. Hit after hit, they made their presence felt. It’s quite obvious what the message was in their lockerroom: ‘this is a playoff game, play like it’. And they did. I don’t think the Wings were prepared for that level of speed and physicality, and it wore on them. As the game progressed, you could see certain players grow timid, hoping the game would just end. Eventually everything busted at the seams and the floodgates opened.

While I don’t think this effort was indicative of how the Wings would operate in an actual playoff game, it’s clear they lack grit and swagger. Tomorrow will tell us fans everything about what we have here. Another showing similar to this and I’m fine with a garage sale at the TDL.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It's certainly supposed to be. Aspects of that were missing today. Namely consistent application of the rules.

Why exert energy in an endeavor you're not going to succeed in when you've got another one in 24 hours? Moral victories don't count for anything. Ottawa won their cup tonight. Good on them. Hope their families are proud. I know ol' Walt is.
You exert energy because you're a professional hockey player. There is no scenario in hockey where coasting is ok. That shit doesn't fly in AA, it's not going to fly in the NHL. Coasting and "saving" yourself for the next night is not a real thing. If you're not competing, you're a loser, and the opposition can sniff that out. Lalonde should be giving it to them right now.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I mean, at the end of the day, like 2 Wings on the roster have ever played 'meaningful' hockey before.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Playing with a roster full of talent is easier compared to what they've currently got?

The Bruise Brother Wings never won shit...
Talent has nothing to do with competitiveness, other than raising the stakes because you're a better team than a less talented one.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The disappointing part was our forwards letting the Ottawa defense have it easy all the while our guys are eating some good checks in our corners. Return the favor boys.

Tho I doubt many fear getting hit by our bottom six.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You exert energy because you're a professional hockey player. There is no scenario in hockey where coasting is ok. That shit doesn't fly in AA, it's not going to fly in the NHL. Coasting and "saving" yourself for the next night is not a real thing. If you're not competing, you're a loser, and the opposition can sniff that out. Lalonde should be giving it to them right now.
And those are professional hockey refs. Hard to beat two uniforms at once. There is plenty of scenarios where coasting is plenty fine. When the game is lost. Just keep the clock rolling. There is another game coming.

Well, they lost. So that's correct.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Tom Chmielewski and Cody Beach were the refs tonight.

Hope we never get them again. They played their part in this.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Talent has nothing to do with competitiveness, other than raising the stakes because you're a better team than a less talented one.
And competitiveness has nothing to do with the outcome of the game tonight. Maybe the ultimate final score, but not the overall outcome.

The team's just not an imposing physical team yet. They don't have the bite. Kasper and Mazur could help change that in a hurry.
They don't need to be imposing. They just need to be playing in a consistently evenly reffed game.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Like I have said and keep getting shat on here. We are not at the level of the other playoff contenders. Even if we win tomorrow and make it we will get smoked in 4 games. You can say it’s all about effort, whatever, but it’s also about the fact that Tkachuk and Stutzle are better than every single forward we have by a significant margin. That matters.

This team needs another elite forward and it’s disappointing we won’t be in a position to acquire one in a draft with the most elite forwards in almost a decade.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Anyone else getting gutless vibes from this team? I know it was 25 years ago and the game has changed, but that 97 team had Shanahan, Lapointe, McCarty, Kocur, Maltby, Konstantinov, Rouse. I’d kill to have just two guys on this team that could play with some sandpaper and not be pylons out there.
I think gutless is putting it too strongly. Guys Hronek, Raymond, Seider, Fabbri don't really shy away from contact and scrums. But they're not putting the fear of god in anybody either.

The Wings could definitely use a couple guys that are a legit physical threat

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
So I know some people are adamant that Vrana play tomorrow night, but isn't he going to just add to the softness we saw out there tonight?
Rather have softness with the puck in their net than softness without. Tim Stutzle and Claude Giroux weren’t out there banging bodies, but they sure made an impact on the scoreboard.

I think tomorrow more than ever would be a huge pick-me-up for this team if Vrana came out and potted a couple. Especially with Ras done.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Like I have said and keep getting shat on here. We are not at the level of the other playoff contenders. Even if we win tomorrow and make it we will get smoked in 4 games.

This team needs anotjer elite forward and it’s disappointing we won’t be in a position to acquire one in a draft with the most elite forwards in almost a decade.
I don't think I have seen anyone who doesn't expect to get blasted if we do make the playoffs, and deny the need for elite talent.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
And competitiveness has nothing to do with the outcome of the game tonight. Maybe the ultimate final score, but not the overall outcome.

They don't need to be imposing. They just need to be playing in a consistently evenly reffed game.
Every GDT thread turns into a reffing female dogging fest, it's not funny or acceptable.
Refs blow just as many calls "the other way". Just no one cares to notice.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Lol

I get to watch them live once or maybe twice per year, and that's what I get to watch 🤣

What a garbage performance 🚛 <----- Red Wings effort tonight

Reactions: jbeck5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad