Euro: Semifinals - Spain v. France - July 9

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If I was French, I'd be appalled by that effort to be honest. You go into the 2nd half down a goal. Where's the urgency? Where is the pressure? Mbappe nothing, Griezmann nothing. Looked like Theo was the main driver of the French team, which surely can't be intended. That team looked like it was fine with going out.
You probably missed Barcola but not surprised.
Griez and Mbappe were clearly not good enough for this tournament, regardless of the reasons.
That's why France couldn't score.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are you familiar with the concept of game state

A team that is behind for almost 75 minutes is very likely going to end up with a higher xG and more shots than a team which is leading for 75 minutes

But that does not mean the team who was behind for 75 minutes played better
Since Spain almost didn't cross midfield in that second half when France missed golden chances (Theo, Mbappe), I think the better team was very clear.
You call that concept of game I call that dominating.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
More xG, more shots, more shots on target, more saves forced.
France dominated every stat column.
How am I deluded?
Don't know about deluded but Spain had more quality in their finishing and won the game. That's the very common story in international tournaments. Doesn't matter how "well" you played if the other team scores more goals than you.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The cLeAr bEtTeR tEAm

Sure winning corners and getting shots from shitty positions while the other team goes into a shell to defend and absorb pressure makes France the better tea.

Are you new to sports?
Are you new to football?
Sure looks like it.
A team parking the bus like Spain did in the second half (or playing keep away) does nothing to be considered better than a team creating chances and failing to score on them.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't know about deluded but Spain had more quality in their finishing and won the game. That's the very common story in international tournaments. Doesn't matter how "well" you played if the other team scores more goals than you.
Yes I agree.
As I said Yamal's strike was the difference.
Which is a miracle strike.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Are you new to football?
Sure looks like it.
A team parking the bus like Spain did in the second half (or playing keep away) does nothing to be considered better than a team creating chances and failing to score on them.

I am Jose Mourinho.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Since Spain almost didn't cross midfield in that second half when France missed golden chances (Theo, Mbappe), I think the better team was very clear.
You call that concept of game I call that dominating.
I haven't seen it broken down into the two halves, but field tilt for the whole match was 56/44 in favour of Spain, which passes the eye test for me.

To claim that Spain parked the bus isn't giving Spain too little credit, it's giving France too much.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Anyway, France was struggling offensively all tournament but relied on that incredible D and Saliba especially (as well as Maignan).
Barcola needs to start every game, he is fantastic.
The old guard will retire (Giroud, maybe Griez).
I want to see more creativity in midfield.
Cherki and Doue I'm looking at you.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
At least they didn't play transfer fee.
Just a huge signing bonus. Basically the transfer fee just went to Mbappe/his agents. Kinda makes it worse
Yes I agree.
As I said Yamal's strike was the difference.
Which is a miracle strike.
As everyone is aware, I'm a big proponent of xG. I've also said that it's a lot less relevant in one off games that are knockouts because game state matters so much more in those scenarios compared to a double round robin.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Are you new to football?
Sure looks like it.
The chances were mostly 66-75% not 90+% chances. There was none of that vibe you got when Austria was chasing the Turkish lead with tons of pressure and incisive attacks that required a combination of luck and desperate defensive measures for the Turks to avoid conceding.

It overall felt like a 'blah' game, like France lacked means or motivation to really make a push. Sure, Spain was happy to not play much football the 2nd half, but France let them get away with it and never really asked questions.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hm, I had the impression you were also highly critical of DD, his roster choices in particular
I am. But am also aware of the incredible achievement it is to have that resume.
WC QF, EC final (lost on a miracle goal while hitting the post), WC win, EC penalty shootout loss, WC final most in shootout (and Kolo 5 centimeters from winning it) and EC semis.
No matter the team this is absolutely extraordinary. And I don't feel like many coaches could have done the same.

I haven't seen it broken down into the two halves, but field tilt for the whole match was 56/44 in favour of Spain, which passes the eye test for me.

To claim that Spain parked the bus isn't giving Spain too little credit, it's giving France too much.
They did. And when they had the ball they tried to play keep away (which they do better than anyone) and didn't try anything offensively.
Good for them it worked. Of course if Mbappe scores his usual, nobody here is claiming is Spain dominating.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I am. But am also aware of the incredible achievement it is to have that resume.
WC QF, EC final (lost on a miracle goal while hitting the post), WC win, EC penalty shootout loss, WC final most in shootout (and Kolo 5 centimeters from winning it) and EC semis.
No matter the team this is absolutely extraordinary. And I don't feel like many coaches could have done the same.

I feel like it would be easy to support a narrative that it is the team's sheer talent more than the coach. But OK. Whether or not that is the case, if I were a France fan, I would want a fresh coach to get a crack at leading these players.

Reactions: King 88

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also that penalty call against Poland made France play the toughest teams.
This should really be fixed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I feel like it would be easy to support a narrative that it is the team's sheer talent more than the coach. But OK. Whether or not that is the case, if I were a France fan, I would want a fresh coach to get a crack at leading these players.
ZZ is waiting for it.
I doubt the quality is enough to win international tournaments.
Which is why teams like Argentina or Brazil have struggled the past 25 years or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad