Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Actually the dispute seems to be only with regards to his 2018 year. He probably changed residency after having signed that contract and is probably now a Canadian resident (factual test). But for his first year bonus (2018), he received it at the time where he was still a US resident. His first year bonus was USD $15.25M which translated to CAD, probably less escrow, seems in line with CRA's increase in revenue in 2018. They are disputing whether that original signing bonus should still be taxed as employment income in Canada even though he was still a US resident and not yet working in Canada. This shouldn't cause too much impact on the taxation of the rest of his earnings.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
READ THE ARTICLE!!
The all-day event featured modules geared toward game preparation and study, reporting, studio work, and social media and podcasting, with instruction from TNT lead play-by-play voice Kenny Albert and analysts Eddie Olczyk and Brian Boucher, ESPN studio host and play-by-play voice Steve Levy, and Philadelphia Flyers studio host Ashlyn Sullivan.

I wonder how much centered on how to hate the Colorado Avalanche but still be professional about it.

Reactions: BaconNater

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I wonder how he went around the residency rules in Canada... With the duration of that contract, I assume his whole family moved to Canada with him ?

Been a minute... IIRC tax residency in Canada requires 180 days in the country. As long as he lives elsewhere in the summer and considering the road trips to the states, he should be fine in that area. Family probably has to take a couple long vacations, oh darn. :laugh:
I think it might’ve been missed that it’s actually only 2018 that’s in question. Tavares has been declared a Canadian resident for tax purposes from 2019 onwards (they don’t mention that until much later in the article). He hasn’t actually tried to maintain US tax residency through border crossing games beyond that first half season in Toronto. I suspect US citizens playing for Canadian teams are incentivized to do just that much in the way Henchy describes.

The 2018 signing bonus issue seems like it hinges on did being a member of the Islanders keep him outside of Canada just long enough to maintain his US tax residency for that first half season as a Leaf. I suspect much of this may come down to can the CRA produce CBSA records of his movements that show he was in Canada more than 183 days.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I thought I'd eventually feel bad for McDavid, but I don't. It just gets funnier and funnier.

So Edmonton booted the guy who gave Darnell Nurse that horrid deal, and hired the guy who gave Seth Jones his horrid deal :laugh:
I'm surprised that nobody has really brought up the whole Kyle Beach thing.

I'm surprised that Quenneville hasn't been hired yet.
I'm not, but then again as you can see right above here, I am surprised that Bowman got snagged immediately as well. Although outside of him failing hard in the HR front, I do believe he's a better GM than what Edmonton has been getting.

Why don't we have something lke this?

Man, let's go all Lord of the Flies and instead of doing the plus/minus game on our players, let's do it on each other.

I actually really like him, and think he brings alot of persoanlity to the game in addition to being a genuinely good coach. Maybe not top, top tier but he's no slouch. That response is so genuine and a great clip. He wasn't rude, mad or even really upset, he simply acknowled the fact that everyone is human. They fired him, how can he not take that personally?

I'm confident that he can do well by them as long as the drafting holds. They are even less of a destination than the Colorado River or The Mall of America when it comes to prefered landing zones for UFAs.

Holy brick wall, batman. Didn't realize I'd actually gone that far until I hit post and saw it completed. At least it's mostly on topic today. I'll take any improvement I can.

Reactions: Hennessy

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I don't like Rycroft as color, and even in-studio his schtick gets old, but Johnson comes across as the second absolute dumbest Av I've seen. No offense to him, love the player, and he may have layers I'm not acknowledging, but he comes across as just all-out slack-jawed in a way that only Ryan Smyth beats.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Damn! Someone here posted the other day about him completely disappearing after the draft. What the Hell happened? Hard to believe he did something wrong, dude comes across as a Saint.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Damn! Someone here posted the other day about him completely disappearing after the draft. What the Hell happened? Hard to believe he did something wrong, dude comes across as a Saint.
Probably me, because he really went AWOL after the draft. Didn’t even host the last week of his own show, wasn’t doing the free agency, no 32 thoughts, total silence from social media…

Reactions: Balthazar

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, nothing from him. Would hope for a professional dispute and him ending up with TSN or something.

Then again, maybe it's the guy that goes "I always try to live clean, and get eight hours of sleep, and oh yeah, I killed eight prostitutes along interstates." :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad