Euro: Semifinals - Spain v. France - July 9

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I feel like it would be easy to support a narrative that it is the team's sheer talent more than the coach. But OK. Whether or not that is the case, if I were a France fan, I would want a fresh coach to get a crack at leading these players.
Sheer talent alone doesn't take a team to as many finals as Deschamps did. How many teams with the edge in "sheer talent" have done it consistently like that?

But, I do think this is a moment for 'fresh coach, fresh crack.'

Reactions: maclean

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France is winning in spite of DD, not because of DD. France has more talent than any nation in the world, of course they've been successful.
As Mbappe or Griezmann's from shows, this is just not what sports are like.
Heck I'd expect Hockey fans to realize it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Other than Mbappe and Griezmann is Thuram really the best France have now? Thuram isn't at a world class level or even near it. They will need a lot better to continue as a team that makes semis in big tournaments.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Other than Mbappe and Griezmann is Thuram really the best France have now? Thuram isn't at a world class level or even near it. They will need a lot better to continue as a team that makes semis in big tournaments.
Oh I agree. Thuram only killed it in wide open leagues or with dominant teams. He should not be on this team.
But I think DD had in mind that Mbappe would dominate and he clearly didn't. Maybe it was the nose, maybe it wasn't (he finished the year very badly with PSG, but again, people thought it didn't have anything to do with his form).
So he wanted hard working player like Thuram and Kolo around Mbappe. Turns out it wasn't a good idea.

The ideal NT isn't always the best roster. It has to do with cohesiveness and tactics.
DD made a mistake and realized it quickly (no 10 apart from out of form Griezmann). After that he could only field 3 CM/DMs or play Griez. He tried both but without any creativity.
The creativity came from the wings (Barcola, Dembele, and the two FBs).
We needed a 10 and Cherki and Doue would have done wonders.

Olmo scored the winner though.
with the momentum from Yamal's wonder strike 4 minutes before.
When Yamal scored, Spain was shaking badly.

What’s that 1 in 5?
And two miracle losses in finals.
Pretty good I'd say.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Did I have fun watching that french team unable to score all tournament?
Hardly.
Given the circumstances of the form of the main offensive players, finding a way to defend your way to the semis (and close to the final) is quite the achievement.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
As Mbappe or Griezmann's from shows, this is just not what sports are like.
Heck I'd expect Hockey fans to realize it.
Yeah, and a national team coach needs to recognize when players aren't playing well and have the balls to bench them. Took DD some time to get there with Griezmann and never with Mbappe.
And two miracle losses in finals.
Pretty good I'd say.
If they happen every other final, I don't think you can call it miracles. When you get to the finals, or even semi finals, other teams have good players too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, and a national team coach needs to recognize when players aren't playing well and have the balls to bench them. Took DD some time to get there with Griezmann and never with Mbappe.

If they happen every other final, I don't think you can call it miracles. When you get to the finals, or even semi finals, other teams have good players too.
Yeah, his whole plan was Mbappe. As I stated before. He benched Griez but his team lacked creativity.

Given the circumstances of those two finals, yes those two are miracles.
Gignac hitting the post from 1 meter, a goal he'd score 99/100. Eder scoring his only goal from a weird shot.
Then the other final, RKM almost scoring at the 120th and then penalty shootout...

Yes. He could be 3 for 5 and it'd be perfectly reasonnable.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Since Spain almost didn't cross midfield in that second half when France missed golden chances (Theo, Mbappe), I think the better team was very clear.
You call that concept of game I call that dominating.
France did nothing. Spain always under control after getting the lead. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. We all saw the same game. They played keep away and France showed 0 urgency.

The difference on how Germany and France approached being behind is very telling.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France did nothing. Spain always under control. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. We all saw the same game. They played keep away and France showed 0 urgency.

The difference on how Germany and France approached being behind is very telling.
Almost twice the xG.
Spain scored twice out of 0.6. That's what you call control.

If Mbappe scores his usual goal on his huge chance, are you singing the same tune? Of course not.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I would be surprised if Spain doesn't win the final. Southgate will inevitably hamper England somehow, and the Netherlands look tailor-made to be picked apart by this Spanish side.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
ok ok your team is awesome, goat team
Exactly what I said, good job.

I would be surprised if Spain doesn't win the final. Southgate will inevitably hamper England somehow, and the Netherlands look tailor-made to be picked apart by this Spanish side.
Hopefully they do. They've been the best team in the tournament IMO.
Had the toughest path too.

Reactions: Moncherry

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Almost twice the xG.

If Mbappe scores his usual goal on his huge chance, are you singing the same tune? Of course not.
Portugal had the greater xG against France to go with 60+% possession. Were they the better team too?

Reactions: King 88

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Almost twice the xG.

If Mbappe scores his goal that's one out of two chances they had on 60 minutes behind. Shameful for a team of that quality.

The reality is that Spain didn't need to generate more goals because they were comfortable playing keep away and because they had the game under control. You can skew useless xG all you want, we've seen the game. France was underwhelming once again.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Portugal had the greater xG against France to go with 60+% possession. Were they the better team too?
Quite possible. It was a very tight game.

If Mbappe scores his goal that's one out of two chances they had on 60 minutes behind. Shameful for a team of that quality.

The reality is that Spain didn't need to generate more goals because they were comfortable playing keep away and because they had the game under control. You can skew useless xG all you want, we've seen the game. France was underwhelming once again.
Not true.
Don't say Spain was comfortable when they gave Mbappe his gimme goal.

I didn't "skew" anything, those are numbers. France was underwhelming, but Spain too.
Spain doesn't come back without Yamal's wonder strike IMO.

Mbappe saying he needs to rest. That he failed the competition.

Reactions: Moncherry

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Quite possible. It was a very tight game.
Same here tbh. These games are often decided by individual moments of quality. France dictated most of the play in the second half because they had to score, I wouldn't say they were clearly the superior team though. Didn't create enough.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Same here tbh. These games are often decided by individual moments of quality. France dictated most of the play in the second half because they had to score, I wouldn't say they were clearly the superior team though. Didn't create enough.
This is exactly it, in two ways:
1) The individual quality of the team is part of what decides who the better team is; and
2) The game state determines a lot of the what the game looks like, in ways that isn't as true in league play.

This wasn't a smash-and-grab situation where Spain got lucky chances and France created a ton but couldn't finish. This was Spain relying on its quality to get a lead and then relying on its quality to hold that lead. And France's best attacking players didn't show up.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Morata possibly injured because of a pitch invader. The stadium security at this tournament has been embarrassing. This has been a glaring problem ever since Portugal vs Turkey, and they still haven't dealt with it.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Morata possibly injured because of a pitch invader. The stadium security at this tournament has been embarrassing. This has been a glaring problem ever since Portugal vs Turkey, and they still haven't dealt with it.
Gracias pitch invader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad