Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Problem is he’s not valuable and not that good and pulled a big boy demand. Jake DeBrusk asked for a trade out of Boston in 2022. Didn’t materialize till 2024 when he hit free agency. DeBrusk is a way more important player and he wasn’t accommodated.
I agree he's not that valuable but he is the 2nd round selection we made and he is what he is and has done what he has done. His value is his value, there's no Leafs fan surplus, so just recoup it so it can be used.

I don't really know the Debrusk details.

'pint sized question mark' was a real gem though. Hopefully thats worth a 2nd. I might not give another team Robo for a 4th - maybe a 3rd from the West.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Another way to look at this, is what benefit to us, is a 3rd round pick next year? Maybe we'll hit on it, and they will contribute in 3-5 years... so it's zero benefit at the current time. Him sitting at home really isn't any different to us, than a 3rd round pick next year... So, who cares, sit at home.

I think he can be a good player for us, a 25g, 20a type of guy. Not a star, but a useful contributor. But he hasn't established himself fully, just shown potential..... so he has no leverage. He isn't some star that we can't possibly start the season without. As @conFABulator mentions, there could be some benefits to him sitting out, though we'd be better with him on the team.

He has no leverage, so... sign and play. Prove your worth, there is opportunity here, probably more opportunity at LW, than most of the other teams in the league.

Yep, many of us have talked about how the culture needs to change around the team and its unfortunate they've let the previous crop of RFAs dictate so much, but it needs to stop at some point.

Robertson doesn't bare the blame for those previous negotiations but he's also not the player Matthews, Marner, are Nylander were at the same age. If a message needs to be sent to all future RFAs then Robertson is just valuable enough to matter but inconsequential enough to sacrifice. Just like the Nylander negotiation showed the Leafs would buckle for Marner and Matthews, if they don't draw a hard line here for Robertson a similar message will be sent to Knies.

Robertson can enjoy a "change of address" at his parents house. If he doesn't like it there he can come and take one of the open LW spots which is alot more valuable to the current team than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Just an invitation, please go check out the 2019 draft. I think you'll find that Robertson has been, injuries and all, a fairly impressive pick in comparison to the rest of the class, especially from slot 53. His game is trending to the good and his results vs his peers is better than many who were within 10 picks of where he was taken, on either side. Indeed, his transition to the NHL has been more successful than many chosen between the 20th-31st picks. I think his upside is higher than some think, and I'm willing to let him find his equilibrium and understand what's in his best interests. Don't burn bridges. 2019 NHL Entry Draft

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yep, many of us have talked about how the culture needs to change around the team and its unfortunate they've let the previous crop of RFAs dictate so much, but it needs to stop at some point.

Robertson doesn't bare the blame for those previous negotiations but he's also not the player Matthews, Marner, are Nylander were at the same age. If a message needs to be sent to all future RFAs then Robertson is just valuable enough to matter but inconsequential enough to sacrifice. Just like the Nylander negotiation showed the Leafs would buckle for Marner and Matthews, if they don't draw a hard line here for Robertson a similar message will be sent to Knies.

Robertson can enjoy a "change of address" at his parents house. If he doesn't like it there he can come and take one of the open LW spots which is alot more valuable to the current team than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Yeah honestly, if we trade him to me it has to be so much of a win that we would have done the trade with or without a trade request. A 2nd or 3rd round pick isn't worth setting the precedent that unestablished RFA's can say they want out and we say yes sir and get them where they want to go. Though if a trade does happen him going to the Devils would be hilarious.

Reactions: Jmo89

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
I really had high hopes for him I've been rooting for him for years but now I'm so disappointed on the way he's handled this. We should NOT trade him let him sit out. How long do we own his rights before before he'll become a UFA?

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

He's the perfect guy to be firm with and get the culture back on the rails.

He's not in that superstar tier and we can get by without him, he has no leverage and we don't need to take a loss on the trade to accommodate him so he's going to fall in line or Red Bull Salsburg in Austria will welcome him with open arms lol.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

He's not in that superstar tier and we can get by without him, he has no leverage and we don't need to take a loss on the trade to accommodate him so he's going to fall in line or Red Bull Salsburg in Austria will welcome him with open arms lol.

To be honest, Salzburg is much nicer than half of NHL cities.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just an invitation, please go check out the 2019 draft. I think you'll find that Robertson has been, injuries and all, a fairly impressive pick in comparison to the rest of the class, especially from slot 53. His game is trending to the good and his results vs his peers is better than many who were within 10 picks of where he was taken, on either side. Indeed, his transition to the NHL has been more successful than many chosen between the 20th-31st picks. I think his upside is higher than some think, and I'm willing to let him find his equilibrium and understand what's in his best interests. Don't burn bridges. 2019 NHL Entry Draft

In saying all that, he has his rights to stay away, and the Leafs have their rights to hold firm.

There might be more concern about the prospects creeping up behind him ... Cowan the next marner with a grittier attitude won't be lining up behind Robertson in a year.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
In saying all that, he has his rights to stay away, and the Leafs have their rights to hold firm.

There might be more concern about the prospects creeping up behind him ... Cowan the next marner with a grittier attitude won't be lining up behind Robertson in a year.

Ideally it isn’t a question of Cowan or Robertson, but both.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Sandin and Robertson were both promoted a little bit early and shoe horned into prime roles, PP1 cameo duty and top 6 in the bubble playoffs respectively and then yo-yo’ed up and down a little bit when they didn’t magically deliver.

I feel like the inconsistent career progression and pandemic disruption probably played a role in them both feeling like they should have been ahead in their careers.

Not to touch the third rail of discussions, but it also underscored the utterly unrealistic timelines Dubas and Keefe worked with. Case in point is the short runway they gave Barabanov and Lehtonen in 2021, give them a handful of games with limited minutes in a pandemic shortened league, only to cut bait on them weeks later because they weren’t getting an opportunity (as promised apparently).

But yeah, back to Robertson. What I find so objectionable about his case is that making a trade request is usually not made by guys with pretty low status. He’s not a first rounder. He’s not a recent first rounder. He’s not really a bluechip prospect. He’s not established as a player.

Steve Dangle put it out there (as a hypothetical) that if the value in trading Roberson was low and not to the advantage of the team, Leafs might just come to the conclusion that you just bury his career.

That’s a fairly extreme scenario, but I don’t see the alternative where the Leafs trade him for a 5th somewhere so he can act like Martin St Louis and Toronto is being Toronto again.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ideally it isn’t a question of Cowan or Robertson, but both.

From a pure roster building scenario, I don’t think a team would really need both Cowan and Robertson in their Top 6. You keep the better one and run him out there with a power forward on the opposite wing, so you don’t skew too small.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
100%, he's just gonna make like 50k doing it lol

If the kid doesn’t sign in Toronto, my feeling is he’s either extremely hard headed and stubborn or he’s getting some professional advice that doesn’t suit his position.

If you’re 22 or 23 and headed to the Swiss League, no matter the circumstances, you’re probably closer to Denis Malgin territory than Jason Robertson territory. To thumb your nose at the Leafs for that. Just mind boggling.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Pretty much. I root for this guy quite a bit but yea this would be an ideal situation for the organization to show we aren't going get push back from situations like this.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sandin and Robertson were both promoted a little bit early and shoe horned into prime roles, PP1 cameo duty and top 6 in the bubble playoffs respectively and then yo-yo’ed up and down a little bit when they didn’t magically deliver.

I feel like the inconsistent career progression and pandemic disruption probably played a role in them both feeling like they should have been ahead in their careers.

Not to touch the third rail of discussions, but it also underscored the utterly unrealistic timelines Dubas and Keefe worked with. Case in point is the short runway they gave Barabanov and Lehtonen in 2021, give them a handful of games with limited minutes in a pandemic shortened league, only to cut bait on them weeks later because they weren’t getting an opportunity (as promised apparently).

But yeah, back to Robertson. What I find so objectionable about his case is that making a trade request is usually not made by guys with pretty low status. He’s not a first rounder. He’s not a recent first rounder. He’s not really a bluechip prospect. He’s not established as a player.

Steve Dangle put it out there (as a hypothetical) that if the value in trading Roberson was low and not to the advantage of the team, Leafs might just come to the conclusion that you just bury his career.

That’s a fairly extreme scenario, but I don’t see the alternative where the Leafs trade him for a 5th somewhere so he can act like Martin St Louis and Toronto is being Toronto again.
If the Leafs move him they have to get a good return, Robertson isn’t chopped liver regardless if what the butt hurt fans think of him wanting a trade, if fair value isn’t out there let him play in Europe, they cannot fold on thus hand…….

Siidekik

Feb 13, 2023
Forgot how weak the 2019 draft was

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
is this guy stupid? he has next to zero value. he's prob worth about a 3rd if we're lucky right now. does he not see how there's an opportunity to play in the top 6?

new coach too, things could be very different. I just cant see the Leafs rushing to get anything done just because he doesnt wanna be here.

at the end of the day the Mr. Nice Guy GM shit should be over. Dubas give up some players for less than he likely could have gotten just because he was doing what was right for the player.

well screw you Nick. sign a offer sheet to force their hand or sit out the season. the 3rd for you isn;'t all that interesting

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
is this guy stupid? he has next to zero value. he's prob worth about a 3rd if we're lucky right now. does he not see how there's an opportunity to play in the top 6?

new coach too, things could be very different. I just cant see the Leafs rushing to get anything done just because he doesnt wanna be here.

at the end of the day the Mr. Nice Guy GM shit should be over. Dubas give up some players for less than he likely could have gotten just because he was doing what was right for the player.

well screw you Nick. sign a offer sheet to force their hand or sit out the season. the 3rd for you isn;'t all that interesting

Guy seems to be intent on giving himself the Lonny Bohonos treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad