Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yager picked 4 spots ahead of Barlow... I wonder if the Jets liked him and were hoping for him at 18

Due to his age, I believe he's either with the Jets or back to junior where he put up 95 points in 57 games (1.66 PPG) in his D+1 season

Ehlers made the Jets in his D+2 year after putting up just under 2 PPG in the Q, but that was a Jets team in a different stage of contention
Ehlers was also by far the best player on his Jr. Team

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
From what j am seeing now Yager has really worked his ass off at being a two-way center. Seems to play a real Cerebral game in the middle and has that deadly shot. He's a couple years away but I'm really happy to have him.
Certainly significant value in a player who is devoted to the two-way game, even if he doesn't hit his full potential. Bust risk should be low.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Fine with the trade -- less whine, moar Sask farmboy, seems in line with the recent trend. So does the emphasis on skill however, so hopefully the dev and coaching staff are on board.

Would be extra nice if Yager's allowed to stay a C. Maybe someday he'll turn out to be that elusive 2C candidate the team seems to find so hard to produce.

Best news yet of a quiet offseason, IMO.
No reason he wouldn't be left at center. He is a natural center with a reported very solid 2 way game.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Even if Yager is close in terms of potential I’ll take it. And a big old f*** you to Rutger. Comes off like a giant d bag. I hate when kids who have proved absolutely nothing dictate where they want to play. Maybe this team should pump the brakes on drafting Americans. Always seem to be the ones that become a problem and want out.
I have mixed feelings on this. In some cases, players with big egos and lot's of talent, who dictate where they want to play, become big stars. Their ego is driven by emotion, and that's needed. 2 players come to mind that dictated where they wanted to play. ( on in NHL/ one NFL)

1) Eric Lindros - didn't want to play for Quebec Nordiques, and dictated his trade to the Flyers and was a major force for them. Eric Lindros was a star player in the NHL.

2) John Elway ( NFL quarterback ) didn't want to play for the Baltimore Colts, and told them he would play baseball for NYY if they didn't trade him to a western team. Elway went on to be a hall of fame quarterback for the Denver Broncos, and a Hall of Famer.

Then there's the other guys who try to dictate and don't pan out.

1) PLD ( Dubois) is a good example.

2) Patrick Laine

3) Evander Kane

4) Many others as well.

I think Rutger will turn out well for Pitt, and he has the size , grit, and leadership, I was hoping the Jets could get. However Rutger is unproven and a # 14 pick overall, so he wasn't a dominating player in that draft. But he may become a big star ??

I just hope Chevy and the Jets did their homework, and this Yager guy turns out to be really good, like Barzal or something like that. Very tough to say, but Chevy did his best, without any leverage, and landed a very good prospect, for a player that wanted out, and could turn out to be a problem player. Lets hope it works out well with Yager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter (HDB) is not the same size. 1 inch and 25 lbs (EP) isn't either. Where does quicker come from?

McGro plays a power game. He may or may not be able to transition that to the NHL. He may become a Brock Boeser type or a Messier light.

6"1 to 6"0 is close enough for me to not give one the size edge over the other.

Yager is an above average skater with good agility, McGroarty is below average.

This will be a very exciting prospect camp.

Those rookie tournaments must only be a couple weeks away now.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost

Those rookie tournaments must only be a couple weeks away now.
Hey guys, first time, long time.

Further to this, in an article from last year's rookie camp with the Pens, this was an portion from a Scott Wheeler article on Yager:

NHL Central Scouting described his game as follows before the draft: “He has NHL speed, quickness, and agility along with high-end puck skills … possesses a rocket of a shot that makes him a scoring threat whenever he steps on to the ice … a very smart, creative, playmaking centre who is poised, deceptive and dangerous with the puck on his stick … capable of being a difference maker … he plays bigger than his size … competes with his skills and assets to be an impact player.”

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Even if Yager is close in terms of potential I’ll take it. And a big old f*** you to Rutger. Comes off like a giant d bag. I hate when kids who have proved absolutely nothing dictate where they want to play. Maybe this team should pump the brakes on drafting Americans. Always seem to be the ones that become a problem and want out.

Evander Kane and PLD were gud Canadian boys and both wanted out.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I love that the Jets are putting it out there that they expect Yager to get NHL games just for a little F you and possibly to prove they would have let Rutger could have earned his spot if he wasn't such a whiney baby.
The Jets are saying they expect Yager to get NHL time?

Hey guys, first time, long time.

Further to this, in an article from last year's rookie camp with the Pens, this was an portion from a Scott Wheeler article on Yager:

NHL Central Scouting described his game as follows before the draft: “He has NHL speed, quickness, and agility along with high-end puck skills … possesses a rocket of a shot that makes him a scoring threat whenever he steps on to the ice … a very smart, creative, playmaking centre who is poised, deceptive and dangerous with the puck on his stick … capable of being a difference maker … he plays bigger than his size … competes with his skills and assets to be an impact player.”
But Mortimer said otherwise... 😆😉

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There is agreement that McGro is 6'1 suggesting he is at least that.
Yager is listed as 5'11 and 6'0 suggesting that he is almost, but not quite 6'.

Size is more than just height. Weight can be more significant but it is even harder to find reliable measures of. So we default everything to height. The different weights listed suggest a different body type and therefore a different effective size.

You are comparing 6' and slight to 6'1 and thick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
From what I have seen, his devotion to two-way play has, if anything, been so severe it may have hindered his offensive production. It is also one of the weakest parts of his game. His skating is very strong, to the point where he might be one of the best skaters in that draft. It's also unimpressive at best. His shot is excellent, but it's also only okay and his release leaves much to be desired.

Scouting reports are a bit mixed on this guy.

I was reading some scouting reports for his draft year and they were often quite contradictory. It does seem like he is a natural centre though.

I am very interested in finding out how he has developed since he was drafted. Mark Edwards (Black Book) said “Good feedback from the combine interviews”

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Bit disappointed. Mcgroaty is definitely the better prospect and almost nhl ready which we could use. Here's hoping to mcgroatys skating doesn't improve and he doesn't turn into anything. Yager was once considered a top five pick so he definitely has a higher ceiling. I don't think mcgroaty has star potential but potential to be a very good overall player.

Reactions: GNP

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Drafting people based on where they were born is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Take the best player available - period. Worry about the particulars later.
I respectfully disagree. Being Winnipeg I hate to say this but birthplace of a prospect is huge for the Jets. GM's always talk about a fit between player and team which does include the city where a player could spend a good chunk of their career. Someone from Saskatoon fits a city like Winnipeg better than someone from let's say Boston. Let's be honest here...I am a life long Winnipegger (60years) and I am pretty ok living here but man I love my winter vacations to the south for a month 😆

Reactions: kellhunter and GNP

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Slightly OT but whenever I see a pic of Rutger, I think he looks like the cop Marge from Fargo.

2565387_web1_CP160110714.jpg

tumblr_nvm2iju7Hc1szzka4o1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad