Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Slightly OT but whenever I see a pic of Rutger, I think he looks like the cop Marge from Fargo.

2565387_web1_CP160110714.jpg

tumblr_nvm2iju7Hc1szzka4o1_500.jpg

OMG this is amazing “McMargie”

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Obviously from my previous post I'm a fan of Scott Wheeler's work (although I always fit in other POV's on players). In his rankings of top 100 drafted players this summer he has Yager as his #58 prospect and McGroarty as his #33, although both "tier IV" prospects in his rankings. Yager is one below Lambert in rankings. I've enclosed his write-up below because I know not everyone subscribes. Of note, Barlow is #67 and Salomonsson is #95.

Yager has been on the radar in western Canada for a long time, and he’s got some real pedigree to his profile and cachet to his game to support it. He was the No. 3 pick in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft. He was the CHL Rookie of the Year (on 34 goals). He was an alternate captain and second-leading scorer at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. He was Canada’s second-leading scorer at the world juniors. And he has been an alternate captain and one of Moose Jaw’s leading scorers for two consecutive seasons now, which included centering their first line to a WHL title with 49 goals and 128 points in 81 games split between the regular season, playoffs and Memorial Cup this year.
His actual statistical profile is good without being great (it was also helped by a strong 16-in-10 playoffs with the Warriors two springs ago now). Still, he has been a consistent offensive player for Moose Jaw while playing a detail-oriented off-puck game (he’s also a dangerous and active penalty killer and is decent in the faceoff circle).
Yager plays a threatening, attacking game with skill in straight lines and in cutting sequences in transition. He’s got smooth-skating mechanics. He’s dangerous inside the offensive zone from the top of the circles in with a quick-release wrister that comes off of his blade hard and with a slight, goalie-fooling adjustment pre-shot. He’s got good puck skill in congested areas, an ability to attack in bursts and make something happen out of dead plays, and an equal ability to play off of coverage and make himself available as a shooter for his linemates.
He’s a natural scorer and creator who plays a direct style, but he’s also got plus vision and deft touch (though I wouldn’t say his creativity is necessarily a strength). I like the way he supports the puck defensively as a centerman, though he’ll need to continue to get stronger to be as reliable defensively at the NHL level as he is in junior. He is very intentional with his routes, offensively and defensively, which should help him stick at the center position long-term. He plays with jump and pace, using his skating to get to loose pucks and get free in transition. He’s got the smarts and the instincts. I like his work rate. I don’t think he’s going to become a star, but he’s got 2C and PP upside if he can continue to get strong and continue to add dimension.

Top 100 drafted NHL prospects ranking: Celebrini, Michkov lead Wheeler’s summer 2024 list

Anyway, just grist for the mill.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have mixed feelings on this. In some cases, players with big egos and lot's of talent, who dictate where they want to play, become big stars. Their ego is driven by emotion, and that's needed. 2 players come to mind that dictated where they wanted to play. ( on in NHL/ one NFL)

1) Eric Lindros - didn't want to play for Quebec Nordiques, and dictated his trade to the Flyers and was a major force for them. Eric Lindros was a star player in the NHL.

2) John Elway ( NFL quarterback ) didn't want to play for the Baltimore Colts, and told them he would play baseball for NYY if they didn't trade him to a western team. Elway went on to be a hall of fame quarterback for the Denver Broncos, and a Hall of Famer.

Then there's the other guys who try to dictate and don't pan out.

1) PLD ( Dubois) is a good example.

2) Patrick Laine

3) Evander Kane

4) Many others as well.

I think Rutger will turn out well for Pitt, and he has the size , grit, and leadership, I was hoping the Jets could get. However Rutger is unproven and a # 14 pick overall, so he wasn't a dominating player in that draft. But he may become a big star ??

I just hope Chevy and the Jets did their homework, and this Yager guy turns out to be really good, like Barzal or something like that. Very tough to say, but Chevy did his best, without any leverage, and landed a very good prospect, for a player that wanted out, and could turn out to be a problem player. Lets hope it works out well with Yager.

Regardless of how he turns out on the ice, it looks like McGroarty would have been a problem player for Jets - and maybe for any team, like PLD.

This whole episode is very disappointing for me. Since last year's dev camp, I had built very high hopes for McG. I am adjusting.

I'm glad he is gone and I'm satisfied with the return. In fact, the more I read about Yager, the more I like him, even if the reports are a little contradictory. The bad ones are not bad, just less good.

Him being a natural C is a big plus. We now have 2 promising C prospects. They may be a few years away but we may be able to look forward to having 2 top 6 C's at the same time going forward.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have mixed feelings on this. In some cases, players with big egos and lot's of talent, who dictate where they want to play, become big stars. Their ego is driven by emotion, and that's needed. 2 players come to mind that dictated where they wanted to play. ( on in NHL/ one NFL)

1) Eric Lindros - didn't want to play for Quebec Nordiques, and dictated his trade to the Flyers and was a major force for them. Eric Lindros was a star player in the NHL.

2) John Elway ( NFL quarterback ) didn't want to play for the Baltimore Colts, and told them he would play baseball for NYY if they didn't trade him to a western team. Elway went on to be a hall of fame quarterback for the Denver Broncos, and a Hall of Famer.

Then there's the other guys who try to dictate and don't pan out.

1) PLD ( Dubois) is a good example.

2) Patrick Laine

3) Evander Kane

4) Many others as well.

I think Rutger will turn out well for Pitt, and he has the size , grit, and leadership, I was hoping the Jets could get. However Rutger is unproven and a # 14 pick overall, so he wasn't a dominating player in that draft. But he may become a big star ??

I just hope Chevy and the Jets did their homework, and this Yager guy turns out to be really good, like Barzal or something like that. Very tough to say, but Chevy did his best, without any leverage, and landed a very good prospect, for a player that wanted out, and could turn out to be a problem player. Lets hope it works out well with Yager.

Jimmy Vesey dictated where he wanted to play and that didn't work out. Then there is the EPITOMY of bad agent advice Matt Harrington. He was an MLB'er and here is his story, it is BONKERS what he gave up... OTL: Dream On A Shelf

Reactions: Guardian17 and GNP

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Just to add some perspective to the size talk. McG last year, Yager this year... so same age (right?).

Attachments

• 20240822_134426.jpg
    20240822_134426.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I know nothing about this player and stats in the D+1 season are good but why would Dubas trade this prospect if the thought he was great. I think Dubas is a smart guy and not prone to make dumb moves so that makes me a bit concerned. This is not a dumb GM we are dealing with.

Also is Rutger really gonna sign with the Pens now at the tailend of August and screw over the Michigan program who were counting on him this season after he committed to them?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just to add some perspective to the size talk. McG last year, Yager this year... so same age (right?).
Big size difference, Yager is skinny, much like Lambert and Ehlers. He'll need to put on some weight and muscle IMO.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If the team won’t give ice time to Rutger, they won’t give it to a similar prospect who is even younger. Yager is a couple years out at least, and that’s okay. I assume the scouts already talked to Yager in his draft year and see a long-term fit. I trust this is a good move for everyone involved, but will feel warm and fuzzy inside if it doesn’t work out for Rutger the way he hoped.

Edit: it appears Pat Brisson is Rutger’s agent (he’s also PLD’s agent) and was responsible for this shithousery. Not surprised in the least.
We don't FULLY know that jets said no to top six... and given the injury history in our top six there was a huge chance for mcgro

I think he just decided or his parents decided he wanted to play closer to home or with buddies

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love it, Chevy did very good getting that type of value in the situation and a center to boot. Rutger is is one year older and closer to the NHL which is fine, Chevy picked the BPA via trade which no doubt was a limited number of potential targets

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I know nothing about this player and stats in the D+1 season are good but why would Dubas trade this prospect if the thought he was great. I think Dubas is a smart guy and not prone to make dumb moves so that makes me a bit concerned. This is not a dumb GM we are dealing with.

Also is Rutger really gonna sign with the Pens now at the tailend of August and screw over the Michigan program who were counting on him this season after he committed to them?
I think he's just accelerating the clock on their best prospect and upgrading a team need.

They need a LW to replace Guentzel and have no capspace, if Rutger can step in and play with Sid it makes a ton of sense even with the high price tag. Their core are also all old and 1 year shaved off their top prospect's development is huge

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Fans want Cheveldayoff fired...

Turns THE most toxic prospect in the NHL who has dictated being a guaranteed top 6 player in order for him to sign, a 2022 1st round pick 14th overall with mid 6 projection into:

A Saskatoon natural centre with top 6 potential who was drafted in 2023 as a 1st round pick 14th overall.

He turned lemons into lemonade.

He's top 3 with Lambert and Salomonsson

No need to redo the whole thing

Redo the ENTIRE thing otherwise... I am deeming the list... INVALID!

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
I get Curtis Lazar vibes from McGroarty. I do not think he will ever have the foot speed to be a top 6 player in the bigs. In hindsight I think this will be a lopsided trade in our favour. Dig it.

Reactions: Pongs21

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he's just accelerating the clock on their best prospect and upgrading a team need.

They need a LW to replace Guentzel and have no capspace, if Rutger can step in and play with Sid it makes a ton of sense even with the high price tag. Their core are also all old and 1 year shaved off their top prospect's development is huge

Yup, they need to convince Sid to reup. This is them getting a young player one year closer to the NHL.

Not sure I see him as a fit for Crosby right off the bat but he should be able to crack their roster.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

He signed his ELC I thought.

If there ever was doubt, Brayden Yager was by FAR the teams best prospect:

1724353703751.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad