Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this is a very good synopsis. The Rutger saga reflects the changing landscape for NCAA stars and also the culture of our times. In the past, there was at least a semblance of loyalty to the drafting team/city and agents were less aggressive in pushing the NCAA draftee's rights. Nowadays, it's all about me, my GF, my life in the big city, etc. Winnipeg will just have to adapt to this and conduct their scouting/drafting accordingly.

I'm old-school, I suppose, because I've seen how loyalty to small franchises (on both sides of the border) is paid back in spades. Hawerchuk is Exhibit A. I'm pretty sure it was a legendary football coach who said you should "dance with the one that brung ya". That attitude is entirely dismissed by the entitled generation.

Ultimately it will be their loss.

I think it is a little more than an entitled generation thing.

Amateur hockey has evolved into something very different than what it was. When I was a kid almost all of the guys played hockey. We played for fun, not to get to the NHL.

Today, it is all geared towards identifying the best talents and developing them. A lot of money is required to go very far, or even to go anywhere, in the game. Even playing at the lowest levels is expensive. The number of kids playing hockey keeps dropping. The ones left come from privileged families. Of course they have more entitled attitudes. They have been treated as entitled all of their lives.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I may rustle some feathers here, but I get not being into Winnipeg. Dude is young, American and Winnipeg is well ..... Winnipeg. Problem is that he has leverage being a college player. NHL needs to do something about that.
Yeah, when you're used to the bustling metropolis that is Lincoln Nebraska, a small city like Winnipeg is just such a step back...

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, when you're used to the bustling metropolis that is Lincoln Nebraska, a small city like Winnipeg is just such a step back...
It sounded like “development path” were the words that came most readily to him when comparing Pittsburgh to Winnipeg. I guess they’re at a stage where they can make a more plausible case that he’ll have a central role as soon as he wants one. Whatever … the Jets are bound to have to sift through the talent that’s available to them in order to figure out who will be happy with what they have to offer.

It’s one reason I like the Blue Bombers - their players are just so glad and grateful to have a place to make a living playing football.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Im ready to close the thread and move on
Looking forward to see how Yeager develops
Begrudgingly saying bye and good luck to Rutger in Pitts to leave me in peace
Maybe him forcing our hand trading might work in our favor. we might have a better player in Yeager in 5 years and Rutger turns into a dud.
That’s my prediction. Look at the Jets history Players forcing a trade out of Winnipeg tend to perform worse with their new teams than when they were with the Jets

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Im ready to close the thread and move on
Looking forward to see how Yeager develops
Begrudgingly saying bye and good luck to Rutger in Pitts to leave me in peace
Maybe him forcing our hand trading might work in our favor. we might have a better player in Yeager in 5 years and Rutger turns into a dud.
That’s my prediction. Look at the Jets history Players forcing a trade out of Winnipeg tend to perform worse with their new teams than when they were with the Jets
Also Sip is a Voodoo high priest and has placed his chicken curse, Rutger is the next Jimmy Vessey.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
IMG_7892.jpeg

Whattadipshit

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
It's my belief that Rutger's success and all the hype around him went to his head and it went to the head of all those surrounding him. He has decided he's to big for little old Winnipeg. When his good buddy Gauthier decided to pull the escape hatch lever ,Rutgers joined him. I won't waste any more breath on him. Welcome to the Jets Yager.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Count me in the group that thinks he just didn't want to come to Winnipeg. The other stuff is just fluff IMO. Development path? Crosby and Malkin weren't "developed". Letang maybe from a draft 19 years ago. Guentzel I could see. But spare me the development BS.
Similar to Cutter, I think he just decided he did not like the city that drafted him and decided to play elsewhere.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Welcome to the new Lee Stepniak. Jets fans never forget.

Whoa there, pardner. I take some umbrage. The scorer of the Jets' first playoff goal since 1996 will live on in the Good Place forever.

Stemp was a reliable, workmanlike light in the wilderness in those early years, and was happy to stick here. The loss of that particular journeyman hero was squarely on management.

I knew Mr Lee Stempniak. And Rutger McLieFace is no Stempniak.

Lest we forget, that saddest exit interview in the world...

1725029824607.png

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
The law of unintended consequences will likely come back to chew on his derrière.

Whoa there, pardner. I take some umbrage. The scorer of the Jets' first playoff goal since 1996 will live on in the Good Place forever.

Stemp was a reliable, workmanlike light in the wilderness in those early years, and was happy to stick here. The loss of that particular journeyman hero was squarely on management.

View attachment 904016

Yeah Stempniak's name should not be mentioned in the same breath as this guy. The man was a total class act.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

View attachment 904016

I thought Adam Lowry scored the first goal in new Jets playoff history...Lest we forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad