Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey PS, sorry about the delay but I headed out to the lake mid day Friday and I'm just back in town. While I might do a quick response out there, at this point I'm just using my phone with spotty cell service when I'm there. What I meant by my comment was that I think Chevy is the best in the business in dealing with forced bad situations. He never panics, and will grind out the best trade however long that takes. I also think he has a real good handle on players, agents and other GM pressure points. For example he likely held very tough with Dubas on getting his best prospect back for McGroarty knowing he has Crosby needing to be extended and he has to be in a best he can do now win position. He also likely knew that McGroarty had no intentions of going back to school if he could at all avoid it.

My comment was more towards, while Chevy is the best in the business in reacting to forced situations, I'm far from convinced he has a long term vision for the team and to me he seems to meander along from one pressure point to another, trying to fix things as they come up rather than have a plan of action for long term success.

I feel my counter to your last point is that it's hard to have a long term vision for your team when key pieces of that future suddenly tell you that they're not feeling the vibes and are not gonna sign here. He had a long term vision of Trouba and Morrissey as the top pairing, oops, Trouba's wife can't do her residency here so he's leaving and by the way he'll only go one place. He had a vision of Scheifele and Dubois as the 1-2 down the middle for a number of years, oops Dubois wants a different lifestyle.

It's hard to have a long term vision and execute that vision when your key components of that future might want out at any moment.

I will throw in one more factor which is Chevy has to manage an owner who is pretty desperate to win now to fill seats. I think the mandate will keep Chevy on the same path that he has been on since about 2018 which is win now but not quite at all costs. Rent when you are in the playoffs, sell when you miss.

I have been saying it for a while, we need our Cale Makar moment soon (have one shitty season due to bad luck, then get lucky as hell and land a franchise altering talent).

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
And… if that is Rutger’s character, saying one thing but none of it being sincere or true, then the Jets are much better without him in the future.

I’ll take Yager’s character, and hope for big things for him and Jets. I love his commitment to trying to be a strong defensive C as well as a point producer. If he turns out to be that solid 2-way C, then the Jets are much further ahead.

I also find it interesting that Chevy mentioned Barlow playing with Brayden when talking about Yager, at his presser. If Barlow continues to develop his game, he provides many of the attributes Rutger does.

Wonder what Barlow and Lambert think about McGroarty and the ‘not feeling right’ sentiment from development camp? They all seemed to get along quite well at camp, and then the FOMO comments during the prospects tournament in September. Wonder if they feel duped or they have had more real conversations.

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Having beers this weekend with friends and word sociopath definitely came out my mouth. If he never wanted to be here which is what he wants us to think, then the acting performance him and his family put on for the year is not normal.

I also think him and his agent are probably lieing to Chevy and Rutgers mind changed in the last 6 months - probably do to a combination of Winnipeg depth and how they develop players in the AHL, getting a new gf, hanging out with Cutter and Kevin Hayes, other personal stuff.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It just doesn't feel right saying Rutger McGroarty so I will call him Oscar McGroarty the fake.
When he comes to play the Jets in Winnipeg I hope the fans completely ignore him and don't waste their energy booing him just cheer when he gets hit or makes a mistake.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hey PS, sorry about the delay but I headed out to the lake mid day Friday and I'm just back in town. While I might do a quick response out there, at this point I'm just using my phone with spotty cell service when I'm there. What I meant by my comment was that I think Chevy is the best in the business in dealing with forced bad situations. He never panics, and will grind out the best trade however long that takes. I also think he has a real good handle on players, agents and other GM pressure points. For example he likely held very tough with Dubas on getting his best prospect back for McGroarty knowing he has Crosby needing to be extended and he has to be in a best he can do now win position. He also likely knew that McGroarty had no intentions of going back to school if he could at all avoid it.

My comment was more towards, while Chevy is the best in the business in reacting to forced situations, I'm far from convinced he has a long term vision for the team and to me he seems to meander along from one pressure point to another, trying to fix things as they come up rather than have a plan of action for long term success.
I think the two are related. I think it's difficult to carry out a consistent long-term strategy when you are dealing with real limitations in terms of players wanting to come to Winnipeg or to stay. It's forced Chevy to adapt and alter plans. When core players like Trouba force their way out (especially with Byfuglien and Little leaving prematurely), he's been in a bit of a scramble mode because he still had a strong enough core that he couldn't abandon (Scheifele, Connor, Morrissey, Ehlers, Hellebuyck).

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Bruce Boudreau:

“It drives me nuts, you want to go out there and punch him in the head to be honest, because listen how can we like I mean you went through it, I went through it, all the older guys have gone through it, you got to come and make the team, you can’t be given the spot right away,” he said.

“I was reading that about McGroarty today that they wouldn’t guarantee, Winnipeg wouldn’t guarantee him a spot at the start of the season and that’s one of the reasons he wanted to get traded, it’s it just drives me crazy, I just think you have to earn your earn your spot…You have to go in there and earn a spot rather than come in and have the spot already there.”

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I liked the pick but this is why I never get excited about prospects. I said a few months ago I never seen a 1st round pick go back for a 3rd year and that something was up and that this was strange. Also said him taunting and laughing at fans at wjc was not what I expect from a future captain. 5 classless subbans for it. Add to that unable to look chevy in the face and just tell him he doesn't want to play here now cements it for me hes a flake. I thought him playing on 1st line and pp1 and barely being a ppg player at the whc while looking like he was skating with his skate guards on didn't impress me. At least half his wjt team played better. I know he was coming of an injury too but he was nothing special. Think this yager kid will be better player in no time. Definitely won't struggle to be a ppg player at the wjc. He was at 18 while McGroarty never even made the team when he was 18.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Bruce Boudreau:

“It drives me nuts, you want to go out there and punch him in the head to be honest, because listen how can we like I mean you went through it, I went through it, all the older guys have gone through it, you got to come and make the team, you can’t be given the spot right away,” he said.

“I was reading that about McGroarty today that they wouldn’t guarantee, Winnipeg wouldn’t guarantee him a spot at the start of the season and that’s one of the reasons he wanted to get traded, it’s it just drives me crazy, I just think you have to earn your earn your spot…You have to go in there and earn a spot rather than come in and have the spot already there.”
Exactly the sort of calm, reasoned response you would expect from this man. :sarcasm:

xUUwgC9.gif

Didn't Chevy already pooh-pooh this, say those conversations never happened?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Exactly the sort of calm, reasoned response you would expect from this man. :sarcasm:

xUUwgC9.gif

Didn't Chevy already pooh-pooh this, say those conversations never happened?

Chevy did throw some cold water on it but it’s ok that disgust still has legs. “When I pulled on the Jersey it just didn’t feel right” probably deserves a punch in the head more than needing assurances on playing time.

Either way, onward.

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think the guarenteed spot in NHL thing was made up out of thin air by various media people that heard that. It's possible that's what media heard coming from McGroarty's camp. Whether that's true, or something leaked to the media to shield the " real" reason who knows.

Reactions: TS Quint

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think the guarenteed spot in NHL thing was made up out of thin air by various media people that heard that. It's possible that's what media heard coming from McGroarty's camp. Whether that's true, or something leaked to the media to shield the " real" reason who knows.
Sounds to me like McGroarty didn't want to play in Winnipeg and that they concocted the story about development pathway to avoid making that explicit. It was better for McGroarty and threw the Jets under the bus, which might be why Chevy seemed taciturn and annoyed in his public comments about the McGroarty situation. I would bet that Chevy and the Jets were very annoyed that McGroarty's camp had made the story about playing time.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Sounds to me like McGroarty didn't want to play in Winnipeg and that they concocted the story about development pathway to avoid making that explicit. It was better for McGroarty and threw the Jets under the bus, which might be why Chevy seemed taciturn and annoyed in his public comments about the McGroarty situation. I would bet that Chevy and the Jets were very annoyed that McGroarty's camp had made the story about playing time.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. It would be interesting to see what Chevy 's response would be if asked if the City of Winnipeg was posed to McGroarty during the discussion with McGroarty and his agent. Normally Chevy deflects but seemed refreshingly open in discussing their exchange. Curious if they directly lied to his face if that is indeed the reason.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It just doesn't feel right saying Rutger McGroarty so I will call him Oscar McGroarty the fake.
When he comes to play the Jets in Winnipeg I hope the fans completely ignore him and don't waste their energy booing him just cheer when he gets hit or makes a mistake.
Oh, he'll be booed...he's committed the worst Cardinal Sin of Winnipeg Hockey!

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The former Winnipeg Jets prospect met the media in Pittsburgh for the first time since last Thursday’s trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins and while he was quick to display his charm and enthusiasm, McGroarty wasn’t interested in providing any details about why it didn’t work out with the organization that chose him 14th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft.

“My agents talked to them and then I talked to them. I wanted to be up front and honest with them and I just told them that I wasn’t going to be signing with them,” McGroarty told reporters in Pennsylvania. “I’ve got nothing but respect for those guys. They handled it with a lot of class and I wish them nothing but the best.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Rutger with his Pittsburgh presser:

Couple comments about Winnipeg. Basically what you would expect - exactly what Chevy told us.

When asked what happened with Winnipeg, he said his agent spoke with Jets, then he spoke with Jets, wanting to be upfront and honest by telling them he wouldn't sign. Nothing but respect for them and how they handled things with class.

When asked about planning on going back to Michigan and then signing instantly after the trade, what about the situation made he want to sign. He said everything is "right" in Pitt. In order he mentioned development path, veteran players they have, the organization, and then mentioned Pittsburgh being a sports town. Also no promise of roster spot, just rookie camp.

My read is that he changed his mind on living in WPG/Canada towards the end of the school year. The dad wearing Jets gear at the WJC and him doing interviews with Hustler in January just don't make sense for me of a guy that wanted out last summer. Creeping his IG, looks like he has a new gf within the last year/year and a half who is at Michigan, could be a piece of the pie. Plus his BFF Cutter getting his way with Philly.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
I may rustle some feathers here, but I get not being into Winnipeg. Dude is young, American and Winnipeg is well ..... Winnipeg. Problem is that he has leverage being a college player. NHL needs to do something about that.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Rutger with his Pittsburgh presser:

Couple comments about Winnipeg. Basically what you would expect - exactly what Chevy told us.

When asked what happened with Winnipeg, he said his agent spoke with Jets, then he spoke with Jets, wanting to be upfront and honest by telling them he wouldn't sign. Nothing but respect for them and how they handled things with class.

When asked about planning on going back to Michigan and then signing instantly after the trade, what about the situation made he want to sign. He said everything is "right" in Pitt. In order he mentioned development path, veteran players they have, the organization, and then mentioned Pittsburgh being a sports town. Also no promise of roster spot, just rookie camp.

My read is that he changed his mind on living in WPG/Canada towards the end of the school year. The dad wearing Jets gear at the WJC and him doing interviews with Hustler in January just don't make sense for me of a guy that wanted out last summer. Creeping his IG, looks like he has a new gf within the last year/year and a half who is at Michigan, could be a piece of the pie. Plus his BFF Cutter getting his way with Philly.
I think the wife/girlfriend thing plays as big, or bigger, of a role with players not wanting to come here than the players themselves

Sure some single guys want to live in big cities for the nightlife, etc... but lots of guys also just want to be treated well and compete.

Plus, they're on the road 50% of the time whereas the significant others are stuck in our beloved cold, dark tundra town alone during those stretches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad