Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I may rustle some feathers here, but I get not being into Winnipeg. Dude is young, American and Winnipeg is well ..... Winnipeg. Problem is that he has leverage being a college player. NHL needs to do something about that.
I don’t have a problem with him not liking Winnipeg. Plenty of players wanted greener pastures. It’s his dishonesty for almost a full year that annoys me. Calls into question his character and leadership, IMO.

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
I think the wife/girlfriend thing plays as big, or bigger, of a role with players not wanting to come here than the players themselves

Sure some single guys want to live in big cities for the nightlife, etc... but lots of guys also just want to be treated well and compete.

Plus, they're on the road 50% of the time whereas the significant others are stuck in our beloved cold, dark tundra town alone during those stretches
Agreed. When he's getting ready to make his decision on signing, I'm sure his agent is walking him through what it looks like for him and his girlfriend living in Winnipeg for the next 7+ years. Something def changed and I feel like this is as good of a rationale as anything else.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I don’t have a problem with him not liking Winnipeg. Plenty of players wanted greener pastures. It’s his dishonesty for almost a full year that annoys me. Calls into question his character and leadership, IMO.

Ironically he probably thinks he's taking the high road by not specifically slamming the city. Either approach will get some backlash but his route is actually worse. He could of used the classic " I'd like to be closer to home" route Or he prefers to play in the USA. Ala Johnny hockey. "Not feeling right " after putting on the Jets jersey is way more insulting IMO.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sounds to me like McGroarty didn't want to play in Winnipeg and that they concocted the story about development pathway to avoid making that explicit. It was better for McGroarty and threw the Jets under the bus, which might be why Chevy seemed taciturn and annoyed in his public comments about the McGroarty situation. I would bet that Chevy and the Jets were very annoyed that McGroarty's camp had made the story about playing time.

How is that better for McGroarty?
It is much worse for him than simply saying that he didn't want to play in Wpg. Not wanting to play in Wpg doesn't say anything negative about him. It just reinforces the common perception of Wpg.

Reactions: MelikeJets

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maybe it's not about the city with McGroarty. Maybe it's about the team, specifically the so-called leaders. I mean, who would want to commit long term to a team whose so-called leader is Mark Scheifele? I wouldn't. Compared to what McGroarty now has in Pittsburgh -- Sidney Crosby -- that's like Batman vs. Daffy Duck. Born winner vs. born loser. And Pittsburgh isn't the only team like that. Go down the list of playoff teams -- and some of the doormats -- and you'll find a passel of better leaders than Scheifele. I worry about Perfetti's progression for much the same reason. At least Yager had a chance to see a bona fide top-flight pro up close; hopefully he can instill some of that in the team.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Maybe it's not about the city with McGroarty. Maybe it's about the team, specifically the so-called leaders. I mean, who would want to commit long term to a team whose so-called leader is Mark Scheifele? I wouldn't. Compared to what McGroarty now has in Pittsburgh -- Sidney Crosby -- that's like Batman vs. Daffy Duck. Born winner vs. born loser. And Pittsburgh isn't the only team like that. Go down the list of playoff teams -- and some of the doormats -- and you'll find a passel of better leaders than Scheifele. I worry about Perfetti's progression for much the same reason. At least Yager had a chance to see a bona fide top-flight pro up close; hopefully he can instill some of that in the team.
Yikes!

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Agreed. When he's getting ready to make his decision on signing, I'm sure his agent is walking him through what it looks like for him and his girlfriend living in Winnipeg for the next 7+ years. Something def changed and I feel like this is as good of a rationale as anything else.
This is why I previously mentioned that Winnipeg really needs to look at where a player is from and take that into consideration while drafting. A kid from the States or a Canadian. I take the Canadian (especially western Canada) unless potential is largely tilted towards the American kid. Chevy can talk all he wants about not looking at the passport but IMO that's a big mistake. Yes I know about KFC,Helly etc. But times are changing and the loop hole is wide open now for more b.s. like this McGreedy affair.

Reactions: GNP and John Agar

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Good luck to Yager or anyone else that tries to come in and overcome the culture that Wheezer, ScheifMe et al have created.

1724899967255.png

Reactions: Bigfish

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Don’t care McGroarty’s reasons for wanting out. Disappointed he didn’t come as advertised, as I’m sure the Jets are.

Would love to see Lambert or Yager or both hit as impact NHL C’s in the next 2-3 years, and then sign them long term. With Vilardi, Perfetti, and hopefully Barlow, our top 6 should be just fine.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don’t care McGroarty’s reasons for wanting out. Disappointed he didn’t come as advertised, as I’m sure the Jets are.

Would love to see Lambert or Yager or both hit as impact NHL C’s in the next 2-3 years, and then sign them long term. With Vilardi, Perfetti, and hopefully Barlow, our top 6 should be just fine.
That’s a pretty aggressive timeline. Lambert should be ahead of Yager but he may be starting in the A again this season. Barlow and Yager still have a year left in junior and then likely a year or 2 on the Moose. Ideally we can start filling in the lineup internally over the next few seasons as our home grown kids can support the older core on cheap ELC contracts.

Reactions: Buffdog

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Not sure he was being dis-honest, I get the sense the City of Winnipeg did not leave a positive impression and when you're young things like that matter. It probably festered over time like a cancer does (Kevin Hayes and friends) and we get what we have today. What's he suppose to say, sorry Winnipeg is a s#*thole, it's not you it's me.....

College players.... that system is flawed and needs to be tweaked

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That’s a pretty aggressive timeline. Lambert should be ahead of Yager but he may be starting in the A again this season. Barlow and Yager still have a year left in junior and then likely a year or 2 on the Moose. Ideally we can start filling in the lineup internally over the next few seasons as our home grown kids can support the older core on cheap ELC contracts.

Agreed. Barlow imo needs a lot of work. He can finish but he needs to add a lot of layers to his game offensively and defensively. NHL teams can shut you down if you are a one trick pony.

Yager is closer but he needs to add strength and needs to continue to round out his game off the puck. He also could stand to gwt a bit more assertive with it and his shooting.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I know I say this over and over but I think that people are sleeping on Chibrikov.

He's never really talked about but I really think he might end up being the best of the bunch.

I really like his game and I think he's the most pro ready.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know I say this over and over but I think that people are sleeping on Chibrikov.

He's never really talked about but I really think he might end up being the best of the bunch.

I really like his game and I think he's the most pro ready.

He needs to work on his defense but imo is probably half to a year away. I've liked his game for a while and imo he has more pure skill then Lambert.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
He needs to work on his defense but imo is probably half to a year away. I've liked his game for a while and imo he has more pure skill then Lambert.

I actually find myself thinking about what a player a fusion of Lambert and Chibrikov might make -- speed, smarts, skill, motor, tenaciousness and guile and a decent helping of pestiness on the side.

This Lambrikov would instantly become our top prospect.

Maybe they can figure it out as complementary joined-up linemates in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Jet

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Rutger with his Pittsburgh presser:

Couple comments about Winnipeg. Basically what you would expect - exactly what Chevy told us.

When asked what happened with Winnipeg, he said his agent spoke with Jets, then he spoke with Jets, wanting to be upfront and honest by telling them he wouldn't sign. Nothing but respect for them and how they handled things with class.

When asked about planning on going back to Michigan and then signing instantly after the trade, what about the situation made he want to sign. He said everything is "right" in Pitt. In order he mentioned development path, veteran players they have, the organization, and then mentioned Pittsburgh being a sports town. Also no promise of roster spot, just rookie camp.

My read is that he changed his mind on living in WPG/Canada towards the end of the school year. The dad wearing Jets gear at the WJC and him doing interviews with Hustler in January just don't make sense for me of a guy that wanted out last summer. Creeping his IG, looks like he has a new gf within the last year/year and a half who is at Michigan, could be a piece of the pie. Plus his BFF Cutter getting his way with Philly.

Yes I second your post. I think after all is said and done and we got multiple "views" on what happend, I don't think there was one specific plan or agenda. I honestly don't think that when he was drafted, the McGroarty camp got together and they crafted this crazy strategy of first acting like the Jets are the best that could happen for Rutger and then, once everyone believed him, they would STAB THEM OUT OF THE DARK AND RUN ... or so. They got drafted, they overhandled the "act as professional and positive for the media as you can"-part a little bit (note to everyone else getting drafted after him: sure, say nice things about the team and city but don't literally say they were your favorite team growing up if that wasn't the case lol) and then ... things changed.

A peer colleague close to him showed how "easily" you can force what you want, the entire Winnipeg experience I think wasn't that overwhelmingly awesome after all (I guess you can't blame him from a neutral POV for that), then the Jets didn't give him games after being free, did not sign him and burn a year ELC and during that time his personal life probably also changed (throw in being in love with someone that isn't necessarily looking to move to Manitoba, Canada) ... and you end up having a kid not wanting to sign. How do you communicate that? It's not one thing, it's not two things, it's-... the entire thing. The entire thing "doesn't feel right" because, on many different small levels, it's not what I wish for my life to be right now and looking in the future for the next 2-3 years.

Now, there is no point in making these points public. People are going to draw their own conclusions anyway. They will paint a picture of you being a psychopathic asshole (literally what not just one person here said about him lol) anyway so... don't make it even worse. Just say "it's not it" or "it doesn't feel right" and keep it to yourself. How many people tell that to someone very close to them because they want to end a relationship but there is no point going into detail because you don't want to keep on seeing/dating that person. Don't want to start getting serious with that person. Going into details would only make things worse. It would hurt. There is no need to hurt anybody... Just say "you don't feel it". This is pretty much exactly what happend... and whatever, it's okay. The only thing Rutger is to blame for is way overacting the "Winnipeg Jets were my favorite team growing up"-part. That was just silly after all. Imagine starting to date a new person you tell that person on the second date that you'd love her/him. And then, 3 dates later, you realized that you were just overecstatic about the entire situation of having met someone new. That person is to blame for saying something like that. Just as much as Rutger is to blame (and I am sure he'd accept that blame right now and agreeing about that being a bit stupid after all) for saying the equivalent to "I love you" as a draft prospect.

Once the entire thing is through, nobody will care about the actual reasons after all. Sure they will boo you when you play there but whatever, that's life as a sports professional. They will forget about it eventually in a couple of years.

And that's it. You got what you wanted, they got something. You don't have to care weather or not it is going to be good enough or not, that's not your problem.

End.

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I was talking to the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street bicycle path yesterday, and she said another reason Rutger McGroarty didn't want to sign with the Jets was that his beloved #2 was already taken by Dylan DeMelo. He wanted to go to a team where he could proudly wear his #2. I told her I think that sounds like a bunch of #2 to me, and she reminded me she was right about Arniel being a "Scott", so I guess this must be true...:dunno:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yes I second your post. I think after all is said and done and we got multiple "views" on what happend, I don't think there was one specific plan or agenda. I honestly don't think that when he was drafted, the McGroarty camp got together and they crafted this crazy strategy of first acting like the Jets are the best that could happen for Rutger and then, once everyone believed him, they would STAB THEM OUT OF THE DARK AND RUN ... or so. They got drafted, they overhandled the "act as professional and positive for the media as you can"-part a little bit (note to everyone else getting drafted after him: sure, say nice things about the team and city but don't literally say they were your favorite team growing up if that wasn't the case lol) and then ... things changed.

A peer colleague close to him showed how "easily" you can force what you want, the entire Winnipeg experience I think wasn't that overwhelmingly awesome after all (I guess you can't blame him from a neutral POV for that), then the Jets didn't give him games after being free, did not sign him and burn a year ELC and during that time his personal life probably also changed (throw in being in love with someone that isn't necessarily looking to move to Manitoba, Canada) ... and you end up having a kid not wanting to sign. How do you communicate that? It's not one thing, it's not two things, it's-... the entire thing. The entire thing "doesn't feel right" because, on many different small levels, it's not what I wish for my life to be right now and looking in the future for the next 2-3 years.

Now, there is no point in making these points public. People are going to draw their own conclusions anyway. They will paint a picture of you being a psychopathic asshole (literally what not just one person here said about him lol) anyway so... don't make it even worse. Just say "it's not it" or "it doesn't feel right" and keep it to yourself. How many people tell that to someone very close to them because they want to end a relationship but there is no point going into detail because you don't want to keep on seeing/dating that person. Don't want to start getting serious with that person. Going into details would only make things worse. It would hurt. There is no need to hurt anybody... Just say "you don't feel it". This is pretty much exactly what happend... and whatever, it's okay. The only thing Rutger is to blame for is way overacting the "Winnipeg Jets were my favorite team growing up"-part. That was just silly after all. Imagine starting to date a new person you tell that person on the second date that you'd love her/him. And then, 3 dates later, you realized that you were just overecstatic about the entire situation of having met someone new. That person is to blame for saying something like that. Just as much as Rutger is to blame (and I am sure he'd accept that blame right now and agreeing about that being a bit stupid after all) for saying the equivalent to "I love you" as a draft prospect.

Once the entire thing is through, nobody will care about the actual reasons after all. Sure they will boo you when you play there but whatever, that's life as a sports professional. They will forget about it eventually in a couple of years.

And that's it. You got what you wanted, they got something. You don't have to care weather or not it is going to be good enough or not, that's not your problem.

End.
I think this is a very good synopsis. The Rutger saga reflects the changing landscape for NCAA stars and also the culture of our times. In the past, there was at least a semblance of loyalty to the drafting team/city and agents were less aggressive in pushing the NCAA draftee's rights. Nowadays, it's all about me, my GF, my life in the big city, etc. Winnipeg will just have to adapt to this and conduct their scouting/drafting accordingly.

I'm old-school, I suppose, because I've seen how loyalty to small franchises (on both sides of the border) is paid back in spades. Hawerchuk is Exhibit A. I'm pretty sure it was a legendary football coach who said you should "dance with the one that brung ya". That attitude is entirely dismissed by the entitled generation.

Ultimately it will be their loss.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Rutger with his Pittsburgh presser:
Couple comments about Winnipeg. Basically what you would expect - exactly what Chevy told us.
My read is that he changed his mind on living in WPG/Canada towards the end of the school year. The dad wearing Jets gear at the WJC and him doing interviews with Hustler in January just don't make sense for me of a guy that wanted out last summer. Creeping his IG, looks like he has a new gf within the last year/year and a half who is at Michigan, could be a piece of the pie. Plus his BFF Cutter getting his way with Philly.
Of interest, his BFF Cutter says he's modelling his game after a couple of familiar names. So far, I see a lot of PLD in his actions, but not so much in his game. Keep up that good judgement, boys :sarcasm:

Starts at 2:30

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Not sure he was being dis-honest, I get the sense the City of Winnipeg did not leave a positive impression and when you're young things like that matter. It probably festered over time like a cancer does (Kevin Hayes and friends) and we get what we have today. What's he suppose to say, sorry Winnipeg is a s#*thole, it's not you it's me.....

College players.... that system is flawed and needs to be tweaked
Then why did he act like everything was cool for almost a full year? Never came up with any conversation with Jets management despite being in contact weekly and “growing closer” according to McG in McIntrye’s April article in the FP. Like Mike said on Winnipeg Sports Talk, he and the Jets were completely surprised h when he said he didn’t want to sign in June.
Plus giving a “didn’t feel right” non-answer doesn’t help. At least be honest why he wanted out.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I thought Lowry was the captain.

Of course the captain isn't the only leader on the team. Neither is the 1C. What about Morrissey? Helle? Nino?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Count me in the group that thinks he just didn't want to come to Winnipeg. The other stuff is just fluff IMO. Development path? Crosby and Malkin weren't "developed". Letang maybe from a draft 19 years ago. Guentzel I could see. But spare me the development BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad