Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know nothing about this player and stats in the D+1 season are good but why would Dubas trade this prospect if the thought he was great. I think Dubas is a smart guy and not prone to make dumb moves so that makes me a bit concerned. This is not a dumb GM we are dealing with.

Also is Rutger really gonna sign with the Pens now at the tailend of August and screw over the Michigan program who were counting on him this season after he committed to them?
McGroarty has already signed with the Pens.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, that would have been discussed before the trade. They likely gave his camp the assurances they wanted.
No doubt. The contract was ready to be signed the moment the trade became official. We also don’t know if Rutger backed off a bit with the Michigan school year starting next week. Is he really going to say no to a chance to play wing with Crosby or Malkin?

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
He played his U16 year in the WHL during Covid instead of AAA/Prep, 24 games. The Jets could argue that technically qualifies as a full WHL season, and brings him up to the 4 junior seasons needed.
They could argue that, but it's unlikely to work.
This was a topic this summer, and our local media suggested that Yager only got that 24 game season because of COVID; if not for COVID, he'd have been playing in a different league.

I could try to find a source on it, if you'd like.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He signed his ELC I thought.

If there ever was doubt, Brayden Yager was by FAR the teams best prospect:

View attachment 902624
the Pens pool is dog crap. it's like being the smartest and strongest in a class of 3rd graders. Rutger likely should be #1 now for them. Eliteprospects actually just released a top-100 NHL affiliated prospect rankings (ranking of currently drafted prospects) a little while ago, Yager was a 85, and Rutger at 56. There's one from TSN circa Feb 2024 as well which is a bit dated given a new draft just happened, and players still playing out their seasons. however, they had Rutger at 11 and Yager unranked (top-50).

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not as positive as some others, but OK.

Prior to the 2023 draft, I was basically of the mindset that the Penguins should've traded their 14th overall for an impact player that could contribute now.

Yager and Benson were the two players I thought they should take if they did keep it (in the range we would be picking). Obviously Benson went one pick before us, but we got Yager.

Yager has an elite shot, but similar to Rutger, I'm not 100% convinced about his skating. I also am curious to see what he does in the W without the elite talent around him. He was a big time performer production wise in both the WJC and playoffs this year, but something visually just didn't add up to him being "elite".

So, me personally. I thought he was going to be potentially the 4th or 5th best player in the 2023 draft prior to that happening. Since then, I haven't been super on that train and now see more of a middle six, complimentary role for him. I do wonder if he can top out as a 2C though given the shot and the fact he is relatively solid both ways. Could impact my bias.

Much rather have McGroarty just given the skill set and compete, but that wasn't an option for you guys and I don't think you were getting a prospect better than Yager back to be honest. Especially one from nearby that is likely willing to sign.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not as positive as some others, but OK.
I’d go more with what the scouting sites have to say. Go to the main boards and read through the first few pages when no Pens fans thought it possible that Yager could be included then to upset when that news broke to he isn’t that special of a prospect. He was over 90% for 1st in their prospect rankings poll this summer.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean both of those players were or are 60 to 70 point guys in their prime.

I'd take a 2 way 60 to 70 point center.

I thought Hoffman was very 1 dimensional. Correct me if wrong.

McCann struggled until picked up in the expansion draft. He was given a bigger role in Seattle and started scoring more. Not sure how he might have fared on a better team.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Prior to the 2023 draft, I was basically of the mindset that the Penguins should've traded their 14th overall for an impact player that could contribute now.

Yager and Benson were the two players I thought they should take if they did keep it (in the range we would be picking). Obviously Benson went one pick before us, but we got Yager.

Yager has an elite shot, but similar to Rutger, I'm not 100% convinced about his skating. I also am curious to see what he does in the W without the elite talent around him. He was a big time performer production wise in both the WJC and playoffs this year, but something visually just didn't add up to him being "elite".

So, me personally. I thought he was going to be potentially the 4th or 5th best player in the 2023 draft prior to that happening. Since then, I haven't been super on that train and now see more of a middle six, complimentary role for him. I do wonder if he can top out as a 2C though given the shot and the fact he is relatively solid both ways. Could impact my bias.

Much rather have McGroarty just given the skill set and compete, but that wasn't an option for you guys and I don't think you were getting a prospect better than Yager back to be honest. Especially one from nearby that is likely willing to sign.

The Jets and Penguins have opposite needs with the Jets desperately needing a 2C and the Penguins in need of wingers. I think the Jets would prefer a 2C over a 1LW to be honest, so it works out well for both teams.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’d go more with what the scouting sites have to say. Go to the main boards and read through the first few pages when no Pens fans thought it possible that Yager could be included then to upset when that news broke to he isn’t that special of a prospect. He was over 90% for 1st in their prospect rankings poll this summer.

OK. But in fairness, runaway 1st in Pens prospect pool is still a low bar. I expect McGro would be runaway 1st too if they repeated it in a few days time.

Reactions: Buffdog and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
literally same shit happens here with rutger pre and post trade request.

being the best prospect on the pens is really nothing to write home about their pool sucks. looking at scouting publication's affiliated prospect rankings is more informative of their player's prospect-tier.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

McCann struggled until picked up in the expansion draft. He was given a bigger role in Seattle and started scoring more. Not sure how he might have fared on a better team.

I don't really agree with either comp myself but from a production standpoint they aren't that out of whack.

I think he's more Little with a better shot from distance myself.

But I do think learning to drive play as the go to guy instead of playing the two-way defer and then find space game this season will be good for him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Jets and Penguins have opposite needs with the Jets desperately needing a 2C and the Penguins in need of wingers. I think the Jets would prefer a 2C over a 1LW to be honest, so it works out well for both teams.

I think Yager due to his size and skating is a wing personally. But if he absolutely hits he could be a 2C.

I agree. Win for both sides if Rutger wasn’t signing and I proposed this trade earlier in the summer.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Yeah, Hoffman is a weird comparison. He's one of the biggest black holes defensively in the league, and always has been. He's one of those wonderful players who will make scoring chances happen while on the ice. It's just usually against him. I love him.

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Does asking for a trade really make a player "toxic"? I'd think sitting around sulking in the dressing room while you wait would be more toxic.

Exactly what Rutger said. Trade demand incoming!!!
Maybe but asking for a trade before even playing one game as a Winnipeg Jet just rubs me the wrong way.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Does asking for a trade really make a player "toxic"? I'd think sitting around sulking in the dressing room while you wait would be more toxic.

Exactly what Rutger said. Trade demand incoming!!!
it's entitlement for sure. is that toxic or not :dunno:. i am not personally affected by it to say, and it's not like it is something illegal. maybe wrong a few people the wrong way to start, but if he had signed and played i think it's possible it would've been forgotten. but that's just my view.

if you read this boards pre-trade request, folks were calling him captain material, hoping for him to be on the team as a TDL acquisition, so although he thinks shit should be handed to him it's not like it was solely just him that had a high opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad